Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Meeting up

Ok, so there has been this girl i have been talking to over msn/facebook and texting too since around March - well it hasn't been every day and sometimes there is a break of a few weeks but generally we talk a few days a week and i was wondering now a thing or 2 from all you. As we have been talking for so long i was wondering to initiate a meet as i do want to do that anyway as we have been talking for so long over the internet and it is Summer now! But as I've never done this before over the internet and tend to talk only to people i know i don't really know how to ask to meet or something. And not only that where to go to for that meeting.... I don't want to suggest something which is too cliché like cinema too, and meeting for a coffee stuff isn't my type of thing as i hate hot drinks lol, i dunno what do you think? We're both 17 for the record and I'm a guy if ya hadn't guessed too. I'm not sure as well what to expect, i mean, we're both single, so do i expect interest and stuff? God I feel so damn dull and stupid here reading back but oh well lol

Cheers for the help, it's funny - never thought i would ever make a post in H&R :p:

ReputationRep:
    Just text her and ask what she's doing on the weekend, if she doesnt already have plans invite her round to watch a dvd or something, maybe grab something to eat with her. I guess once your together the rest will play itself out.

ReputationRep:
    I've done this a few times. First time, I just suggested that we watched a movie at his house and that's what he did. Second time, he asked me to the cinema and we'd only been talking for a week but we ended up dating eachother.
    I'd suggest just asking if she wants to hang out sometime, maybe go get some food or something?
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    trust me, just STAY AWAY from this people on the Internet. You really don't know who you are talking with. Its so dangerous. You sound like a nice guy and all. Therefore you should NOT have much difficult in finding a really girl to go out with. Just go to local disco's ect. If you really want to have a safe life. You are still young

ReputationRep:
    This is kinda difficult tbh seeing as msn/facebook is obviously different to meeting someone in person, i would suggest something casual in a location where you are able to leave if things dont go to plan, so your house or theres is probably not the best option however if you are most comfortable at home, meet at home.
    Just be yourself and dont expect too much you can be pretty much anyone you want to be on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    Just go for it and ask her, obviously without sounding patronising you need to be careful and meet in a public place and be sensible about the whole thing, ive done it and it was fine, you have to be on your guard at times sadly.

See how she feels about it, dont push her if she isnt that keen on the idea then keep talking and maybe suggest it a different time.

As for what to do, just throw some suggestions around and see what happens, you dont have to drink something hot if you go out for a coffee just go somewhere you can talk and have a good time

ReputationRep:
    I've met people online before. It's not a big deal, just casually ask her if she fanices meeting up over summer and maybe ask her what she fanices doing, that way you can't really go wrong. I'd recommend talking on the phone first before meeting to see if you connect or not, if you dont then it's more likely you won't be able to hold great conversation face to face. from experience all mine have been fine tho.

ReputationRep:
    Do you live near eachother?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    Do you live near eachother?
    That's what I was wondering.

Cheers guys, i guess i will just slip it into convo or something if she wants to meet and see what she suggests then. Any more suggestions guys though? And what are your experiences from it all? I mean, you meet up with someone you've been talking to for a while over the internet but have never met. How do you greet her and then get talking for the first time lol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Meeting up

Ok, so there has been this girl i have been talking to over msn/facebook and texting too since around March - well it hasn't been every day and sometimes there is a break of a few weeks but generally we talk a few days a week and i was wondering now a thing or 2 from all you. As we have been talking for so long i was wondering to initiate a meet as i do want to do that anyway as we have been talking for so long over the internet and it is Summer now! But as I've never done this before over the internet and tend to talk only to people i know i don't really know how to ask to meet or something. And not only that where to go to for that meeting.... I don't want to suggest something which is too cliché like cinema too, and meeting for a coffee stuff isn't my type of thing as i hate hot drinks lol, i dunno what do you think? We're both 17 for the record and I'm a guy if ya hadn't guessed too. I'm not sure as well what to expect, i mean, we're both single, so do i expect interest and stuff? God I feel so damn dull and stupid here reading back but oh well lol

Cheers for the help, it's funny - never thought i would ever make a post in H&R :p:
    TALK ON THE PHONE.

if you get on the phone, then arrange a meet up it gets awkward otherwise

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys, i guess i will just slip it into convo or something if she wants to meet and see what she suggests then. Any more suggestions guys though? And what are your experiences from it all? I mean, you meet up with someone you've been talking to for a while over the internet but have never met. How do you greet her and then get talking for the first time lol?
    Its great if you begin to find yourself falling for them majorly...

(Original post by Nutta!)
    Its great if you begin to find yourself falling for them majorly...
    Elaborate?

And yeh about speaking on the phone, dunno how to do that. I mean, i haven't done that for the months i've been speaking to her, so a phone call sounds as hard really as the first meeting for me? Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Just casually mention in conversation "I'd be cool to meet you someday" or something. Have you asked her if she's met somebody from 'The Internet' before? :p:

If she has, then maybe she's not so adverse to meeting 'strangers'. If you don't ask, you won't get in this case, so go for it :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Elaborate?

And yeh about speaking on the phone, dunno how to do that. I mean, i haven't done that for the months i've been speaking to her, so a phone call sounds as hard really as the first meeting for me? Cheers
    PM me

ReputationRep:
    Elaborate?

Call her. If you find a phone call awkward, then meeting will probably be worse.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.