Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this a joke?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so a person I know is in the process of being trained by the NHS to open a swine flu call centre in Wales, as in England.

They have been made to sign a contract which states that if any information is given to them : such as the virus could wipe out half the population, will result in certain death etc, they are not allowed to tell anyone until the NHS makes it official - or decides whether to release it atall.

This disgusts me, so much for the Freedom of Information Act. Nice to know that even our health system has their own best interests at heart... :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Why bother to spread panic if the news isn't officially verified by the NHS? Makes sense to me, otherwise there could be 'middle managers' running round spreading wild rumours that we're all going to die to get a bit of publicity. Or maybe i'm just cynical..

ReputationRep:
    Swine Flu, is not going to kill half the population anyway.
    Sooner people realise that, the better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruggers)
    Why bother to spread panic if the news isn't officially verified by the NHS? Makes sense to me, otherwise there could be 'middle managers' running round spreading wild rumours that we're all going to die to get a bit of publicity. Or maybe i'm just cynical..
    No, it would be verified. They mean if the NHS officially tells an employee something.

ReputationRep:
    It's not so much that it's not likely in the case of swine flu. It's the fact that the NHS could do it with anything, who's to say there won't be anything much more serious in the future? Will this same system be implemented and things be kept from the public?

ReputationRep:
    Id rather be blissfully unaware thank you very much. Pretty sure no one died of a cold though.

ReputationRep:
    the guy who invented that joke must have a darker sense of humor than frankie boyle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    Id rather be blissfully unaware thank you very much. Pretty sure no one died of a cold though.
    Lol, no, have you been watching the news lately??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katieloula)
    Lol, no, have you been watching the news lately??
    it was a joke. 30 odd people is hardly an epidemic. It's just the flu, thousands die of normal flu every year. Stop trying to invoke panic into the normal population.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I don't think that's a bad thing. The NHS need to manage the panic in the public. Just look at how it got out that that doctor and little girl had died of swine flu and everyone was panicing that it was killing healthy people, but then a week later it comes out that they both died of other things. I think the public are better off ignorant to some degree. Obviously not totally, but I don't think we need to know everything about everything when there are people who know what they are doing who can deal with things without critisism from people who know nothing about it.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's reasonable. Can you imagine the panic that would begin if a rumour like that started going round?

It's like saying "why on earth aren't the courts disclosing all the details of court cases going on all the time?!" Because you have to have procedures or chaos would ensue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serrellen)
    Of course it's reasonable. Can you imagine the panic that would begin if a rumour like that started going round?

It's like saying "why on earth aren't the courts disclosing all the details of court cases going on all the time?!" Because you have to have procedures or chaos would ensue.
    But it wouldn't be a rumor, they would be keeping something that had been officially told to them by the nhs!

ReputationRep:
    I might be doing this.

My mum's a nurse and is on the list to give out anti virals in her PCT and she's not allowed to tell us anything at all.

Its standard practice in the NHS. Patient confidentiality and all that jazz. If you sign the Official Secrets Act then you have to keep quiet. Law is the law unfortunately

That has nothing to do with the Freedom of Information act so what exactly id the big deal here?

Certain companies/professions for example Royal Mail and in this case the NHS require their employees to sign a confidentiality agreement which does not limit the Freedom of Information act so what exactly is the problem here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katieloula)
    But it wouldn't be a rumor, they would be keeping something that had been officially told to them by the nhs!
    But what good does it do anyone to be told that some person has predicted that X people are going to die of Y disease? If you're going to get it, that's not going to change. It'll just worry people unnecessarily.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, " in Wales, as in England". :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    To vaguely quote Men in Black of all films...

A person is smart, people are mad, dumb and panicky. I think that sums it up pretty well...

ReputationRep:
    yeah man cos spreading more panic is going to help

these enough panic as it is

ReputationRep:
    The human race is gonna get wiped out by ebola- not swine flu.

Being deadly serious (no pun intended).

They've found ebola in pigs. Just one short jump...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Pieb)
    Swine Flu, is not going to kill half the population anyway.
    Sooner people realise that, the better.
    Could mutate though!
    But yeah...SARS was a much worse threat

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.