Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do people ´make it´ in the music industry Watch

ReputationRep:
    just wondering how they do it, Ive seen many of my friends fail, but I really think they don´t have a clue on how to put themselves out there.

if youre in a band, trent reznor gave out some excellent advice i would say however the advice could also relate to other musicians

ReputationRep:
    Just keep trying and trying, and play a ridiculous amount of live shows.

ReputationRep:
    And what about solo artists? I´m interested in putting myself out there too, and Ive made a demo, do you have to send it to loadsa record companys and hope for the best lol? what should be included in a demo?

ReputationRep:
    Umm, I'd say a demo should have 2 or 3 tracks maybe? And to be successful you either need to do something nobody else is, do something that is popular at the moment, or get lucky, or a combination of the above. And you should send your demo to anyone you can get hold of, record companies, music websites, everything.

(Original post by michellestar)
    And what about solo artists? I´m interested in putting myself out there too, and Ive made a demo, do you have to send it to loadsa record companys and hope for the best lol? what should be included in a demo?
    Pretty much. a demo should only only be two or three songs long, and ideally your best songs and even better if they are you're own songs not covers. some record labels also have rules about sending in demos so check the websites to find out if they do.

make sure your songs have strong starts too. people can soon lose interest in a song and will hit the next button before a song hits 30 seconds. make sure you try and build up a fan base (not only family and friends) too as it can only help.

dont forget, directing demos to labels isnt the only way to do. and most unsolicited demos that are sent to them by mail are usually binned and not even given a listen. give demos away to people and it might fall into the right hands and play gigs, just incase that producer is at a bar youre playing at drinking his sorrows away
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Poll
What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.