Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone else not have an idea what they are applying for? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Greek.

I don't really enjoy any of them and I'm just not interested in any uni courses but my parents want me to go to university and I do quite like the general idea.

So took that Stamford test and it said that it couldn't match me to anything.

And my tutor has just emailed asking for my personal statement draft, but I don't know how I'm meant to write it without knowing?

Help? I know its a couple of months away yet but I've not had any ideas for the past couple of years so I doubt anything will come to me by then!

I quite want to take a gap year but I wanted to sort it out this year and then defer.

Ahhh sorry for the moan, I just don't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    Take a gap year and decide in 2010, seriously, you may regret it if you just choose something for the sake of it. Get some work experience or go traveling or volunteer, just time out of education brings a whole new perspective to life and what you want to do with yours. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't decide until the September after my AS results.

ReputationRep:
    You never know, if you keep looking around you might spot a degree which is just perfect for you. Don't give up! If you really can't find anything, I would agree with taking the gap year and just going off and doing as much as you can, get some experience in the fields that might interest you, and that might confirm whether or not you want to do that at uni.

ReputationRep:
    I had exactly the same problem as you. I ended up dropping a subject and doing a 1 year A level in another, and continuing that subject on to uni. I didn't like that course, and have had to take half a year out and reapply.

Apply next year, if you screw up this year it'll be really costly. Furthermore, you can get better grades next year if you're not happy and it's an extra year to decide

ReputationRep:
    I know what I want to do but I haven't known for anymore than 6 months. I had never previously considered the course and labelled it 'boring' before i'd ever even looked into it. But after read a few books and did my research I can't wait for uni and i'm itching to apply already!!

ReputationRep:
    I want to do a biology course, but the matter is not what, it's where. Due to college, I can't go to open days as I might miss a lot of work...and I think it'd be sensible to visit the uni before applying...

And I don't know if I'm going to school to do my Highers (A levels) or college, so that's an issue too...I think imma apply next year...

Has anyone ever applied to uni without going to the open day? :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, I didn't decide until about a week before I applied. You'll be fine, do a bit more research, email unis, go to open days and talk to teachers/parents. Don't rush the decision

ReputationRep:
    Yes, although teachers may be pushing you now, there isn't a rush to decide so long as you are pro-active about trying to make a decision. Unless you want to apply for medicine/veterinary science/dentistry or oxbridge then you have until 15th January 2010 to apply and be considered equally which gives you plenty of time to think, get your AS results and visit universities.

Be pro-active though - do your research on websites and in prospectuses, visit university open days and see what interests you!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for going a bit off topic, but say you applied this year and didn't get the grades...would it affect your chances of applying the year after?

ReputationRep:
    Firstly don't worry if you can't decide.

Secondly, do you know whether you'd prefer a science or an arts course? Cos that will narrow it down!

My advice is, have a gap year and apply in 2010 for 2011 entry. It gives you longer to decide what you want to do.

Is the Greek ancient or modern?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.