Turn on thread page Beta

In your opinion, is this shallow? watch

I knew guy who had the loveliest personality ever. He was the nicest, most genuine guy. He really liked me but I wouldn't go out with him because...he looked "nerdy" and had a reputation of being a pushover. He'd do anything I told him to. I also didn't want to go out with him because my ex was one of those tough badboys; I thought going out with a guy like him would be a downgrade. :o: I didn't want people to laugh (which they would).

Anyway, now he's not nerdy at all. No glasses, he went to the gym, and has a nice muscly body. He's a much stronger person now as well, he's not a pushover. More my type.

Now I think. If he asked me out now I'd say yes. There'd be noone to laugh at, and I wouldn't be....embarrased.

I can't believe I'm like this. God, it's so disgustingly shallow. Any other girls think/ever thought like this?

ReputationRep:
    'tis a bit shallow. Good thing is that you realise it unlike a lot of people

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but you'll regret it later so don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    From a nerd to a muscle man? Not sure I believe this...

But yeah, harsh as it sounds, you were shallow :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I dont really think it's that shallow if his personality changed aswell. If it was just his appearance that had changed, it would be.

ReputationRep:
    i have actually thought like this before i wouldnt really call you shallow because even though he was a nice boy if youre not physically attracted to him i dont really see how that would work. i would suggest that you dont care about what other people say though ( i no its easier said then done) as ive realised that the people who comment about youre relationship dont have much going on in their lives.

ReputationRep:
    It seems a bit shallow but people have their types. Personally I think nerdy types can be quiet cute :P:

ReputationRep:
    I guess it is a little shallow, but maybe now you have seen how you were shallow and maybe learnt a little lesson from it?

On the plus side you may have done the guy a world of good, making him want to change.

ReputationRep:
    Very im afraid, too bad, "nerdy" guys are HAWT :coma:

ReputationRep:
    it is kinda shallow, but the unfortunate truth is i can see where you are coming from

ReputationRep:
    :yes: a bit shallow

So wearing glasses and having no muscle is your definition of 'nerdy'? :/

ReputationRep:
    Slightly shallow but definitely forgivable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I knew guy who had the loveliest personality ever. He was the nicest, most genuine guy. He really liked me but I wouldn't go out with him because...he looked "nerdy" and had a reputation of being a pushover. He'd do anything I told him to. I also didn't want to go out with him because my ex was one of those tough badboys; I thought going out with a guy like him would be a downgrade. :o: I didn't want people to laugh (which they would).

Anyway, now he's not nerdy at all. No glasses, he went to the gym, and has a nice muscly body. He's a much stronger person now as well, he's not a pushover. More my type.

Now I think. If he asked me out now I'd say yes. There'd be noone to laugh at, and I wouldn't be....embarrased.

I can't believe I'm like this. God, it's so disgustingly shallow. Any other girls think/ever thought like this?
    lol!! No, it's having a preference.

Look, nobody owes anybody else dating. Why is not going out with somebody you find unattractive or not your type "shallow"?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chantalcompowder)
    it is kinda shallow, but the unfortunate truth is i can see where you are coming from
    ditto
    though there was one guy at my school who was pretty fit despite being nerdy. he didn't wear glasses but had looked pretty hawt when he smirked : )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    From a nerd to a muscle man? Not sure I believe this...

But yeah, harsh as it sounds, you were shallow :yes:
    I know many guys like the OP is describing. Many of them. They do well for themselves in later life. Improving all sorts of things about themselves. It's a good thing, OP is missing out.

ReputationRep:
    maybe slightly shallow but it's understandable that you didn't want to go out with him before as you had very little/no physical attraction towards him.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    If that's shallow, then everybody's shallow. I don't know of anyone who would go out with someone they weren't at all physically attracted to.

ReputationRep:
    I went through a similar nerdy to muscle path. I wasn't really nerdy and I'm not enormously muscley now but what the OP is saying seems fairly standard.

I didn't get many dates when I was nerdier but seem to get a lot more now ... Hhmmm ...

ReputationRep:
    This reminds me a lot of Spiderman.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.