Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How fussy are AQA with the original writing stuff? I read that someone made an alternate ending to Eargon and a sequel to Terminator (T5). My original writing was more restricted, I was instructed to write something ironic. Are you allowed to use such strong and blatant influences in the coursework? And how is it marked – is every original work assessed by the examiner or are just the teacher’s marks sent off?

Thanks in advance

*if you've seen this message twice thats becasue i'm new to this and have posted it somewere else,:sorry*

ReputationRep:
    Seems a bit stupid to do that, seeing as it's original writing. I wouldn't have thought it was allowed either but oh well. I would recommend not doing that just incase, and it's much more fun making up your own story anyway (or maybe I'm just sad). Can't remember how marking works, probably just like the other coursework where the teacher marks it and then a selected amount get sent off for moderation.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure they would have changed the names and maybe added a few new characters, but would have kept the same plot/places the same... WOuld that be a massive problem?

ReputationRep:
    they expect you to be influenced, that's how all authors work. You just have to avoid blatant plagiarism...

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah being influenced by something would be fine. Just from your post I had in mind that they have basically kept all the characters, places etc the same which to me is copying. Plus your not showing as much imagination if your only changing the ending of a book, cause the rest of the book has already been set out for you, if you see what I mean?

ReputationRep:
    I see what you mean, emilyjane_09, but if you only change the ending of a book, keeping the start and middle the same, the plot is already mostly done for you. Is that plagiarism?

Oh yea also, if he changes Eragon to something like ... Will; and the ending is changed a little; he's only heavily influenced... right? (Thats what i kinda get with your post)

Btw: Eragon Rules XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N.W Knites)
    I see what you mean, emilyjane_09, but if you only change the ending of a book, keeping the start and middle the same, the plot is already mostly done for you. Is that plagiarism?

Oh yea also, if he changes Eragon to something like ... Will; and the ending is changed a little; he's only heavily influenced... right? (Thats what i kinda get with your post)

Btw: Eragon Rules XD
    In my opinion, that's copying. The character's name is different, but he's essentially the same person. And If the ending is only changed a little, presumable some of it is still the same?

ReputationRep:
    I dunno if you could do that. For mine I took the first sentence of Goodnight Mr Tom and carried on from there. But it was completely different. So I suppose rewriting and ending probably would be fine, because although its influenced by the book thats already there, it is still original, but based on something else. But then, I would have thought it would be too long... Mine was about two and half handwritten(small) pages, and I got a high A for it - one of the best marks in the class.

The teacher marks it, and then the moderators send for a mixture of pieces - the top, middle and bottom grades of the overall portfolio. Unless your teacher is rubbish though, you should end up with pretty much the same marks as they give you.

ReputationRep:
    tyvm Abc and Dymphna, thats a lot of food for thought there

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.