Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so its about time I got a debit card. What bank should I go for? What jargon should I know about? Will owning a debit card cost me anything? Etc.

Finally, I'm 18, can I just go down to the bank at set one up? What stuff will I need on me?

ReputationRep:
    Are you serious?
    I had a debit card aged 12.

They are free (unless you go overdrawn), you will need two forms of ID and a recent bill/letter addressed to yourself.
    Not much jargon apart from overdraft, in the bank.
    About which account is best for you, well it would depend on your circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mister_Chris)
    Okay, so its about time I got a debit card. What bank should I go for? What jargon should I know about? Will owning a debit card cost me anything? Etc.

Finally, I'm 18, can I just go down to the bank at set one up? What stuff will I need on me?
    In case you're not aware, a debit card is directly linked to a bank account, allowing access to whatever funds are in that account. It sounds like you don't currently have a 'current' bank account? If you do, just give your bank a call and ask for a card - (almost?) all current accounts will offer a debit card with them. Btw, for terminology, a 'current' account is a bank account designed for day-to-day banking, with instant access and usually offering services such as direct debits and standing orders (these are methods of making money transfers) as well as a debit card.

If you don't have an account at the moment, it's relevant to consider whether you're planning to go to (or are already at) university. If so, a specially-designed 'student' account will likely be beneficial, offering an interest-free overdraft as well as various other incentives (depending on the bank - take a look here for a comparison). Otherwise, this is a useful site to compare standard current accounts. Personally, I have a Halifax 'Reward' account, which gives a £5 fixed payment as 'interest' each month, rather than an amount that depends on the balance in the account - this makes things simple, as well as allowing me to keep the balance relatively low, with other funds in higher-interest savings accounts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terryw)
    Are you serious?
    Yeah, I kinda noticed that my mates have all had them for ages, but my parents usually just give me cash and I'm fine with that. I figure if I'm getting a job I'll need an account for the money to go on.

ReputationRep:
    I set one up a few months ago. Was easy, just went to my local HSBC and it took no longer than 5 minutes. I didn't have ID with me so they were able to take the details from my father's account, which was great. The card came around a week later. However, I'm only 16 so didn't start off with a student account, like you most likely will..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmeenax)
    I set one up a few months ago. Was easy, just went to my local HSBC and it took no longer than 5 minutes. I didn't have ID with me so they were able to take the details from my father's account, which was great. The card came around a week later. However, I'm only 16 so didn't start off with a student account, like you most likely will..
    Good point - I didn't mention ID in my earlier post. If you're setting up a completely new account, you'll generally need two separate pieces of ID - one with a photo (e.g. passport, driving licence) and one with your address (e.g. phone bill - your parent's bill should probably suffice here if you don't have one yourself).

ReputationRep:
    Just go to Barclays, I got a pretty decent (free) account set up with a debit card .I only needed a passport, but I think you also might need a utility bill to prove your address (I didn't, I think because my Mum has an account with them or something)

ReputationRep:
    Personally i have a seperate account for most of my money and one for my debit card. So i never have too much money in my card (both for security and interest reasons) and i can transfer money from to the other in seconds (online through the halifax).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terryw)
    Are you serious?

They are free (unless you go overdrawn), you will need two forms of ID and a recent bill/letter addressed to yourself.
    Not much jargon apart from overdraft, in the bank.
    About which account is best for you, well it would depend on your circumstances.
    I had one at 11

/one-upmanship

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    Halifax 'Reward' account, which gives a £5 fixed payment as 'interest' each month, rather than an amount that depends on the balance in the account - this makes things simple, as well as allowing me to keep the balance relatively low, with other funds in higher-interest savings accounts.
    Though, in order to get the £5 (or £6.25) on this account, you need to pay in £1,000 per month.

I'm sure if you were crafty and had that sort of money in savings you could pay it in then take it straight back out again...

ReputationRep:
    That's just bizarre. I had a building society account when I was 9; a bank account at 12 and a debit card at about 14. I've only just got a credit card, though, at 20.

Just open a normal current account. I doubt you have the income or need for anything more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandettielightvessel)
    Though, in order to get the £5 (or £6.25) on this account, you need to pay in £1,000 per month.

I'm sure if you were crafty and had that sort of money in savings you could pay it in then take it straight back out again...
    I should have mentioned that, yes - thanks for pointing it out. And yes, I'm pretty certain that trick would work - and could even be done with regular standing orders!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.