Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For the first time in my life I'm actually getting excited about starting school next year.(5th year) I guess it's because I'm actually taking subjects I enjoy and because I prefer a difficult course with a narrower range rather than Int 2 which I hated because there were just too many subjects, three of which I didn't enjoy. Is this normal for someone my age or am I turning into a geeky loser? :p: What are your opinions of how you think next year will be?

ReputationRep:
    It's not necessarily normal or abnormal. It's fine.

ReputationRep:
    I really looked forward to 5th year. Then it actually started Just kidding! It's a really big workload, but I really enjoyed it. But then again, I'm a bit of a geek

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's normal! You've got rid of subjects you're really not interested in, and are hopefully taking subjects that you have at least some interest in, enjoy, are good at, or some combination thereof. Obviously there might be an exception or two depending on what your school's policy is wrt English and maths. If this isn't the case, then I'd argue that there are bigger issues (your school doesn't offer subjects you like, you made a mistake when choosing your subjects, or school just isn't the right place for you). I relished the opportunity to dump French and, to a much lesser extent, MS.

Remember: it's more than acceptable to enjoy school and/or study in general whilst also keeping a healthy balance and avoiding the 'geeky loser' stereotype.

(And, for the record, I find the claim that 'it's not necessarily normal or abnormal' patently absurd.)

ReputationRep:
    Aye, you'll like it to begin with then you'll think 'Oh god when will this be over?'. To be honest though I couldn't wait to start 5th year like yourself because I was studying stuff I actually liked rather than having to do SG Accounting which I had to take to fill collumns |:

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't wait to start 5th year. Now I'm counting the days until the end of 6th year... ugh.

ReputationRep:
    It's perfectly normal. I have nothing more to add really that the Unbeliever hasn't said, but don't worry that you wont enjoy it because other people haven't been. It's complete nonsense to think it's undesirable to like school, life is for enjoyment! Fair enough if you don't like school and are just tolerating it for the qualifications, but if you can enjoy it, do so. You will find your subjects far easier if you are enjoying learning about them, so don't be scared to like them :p:

ReputationRep:
    I looked forward to 5th year and 6th year and loved them both :P. There will be moments you'll be hating it, but that happens with anything I guess!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.