Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Current uni students - jobs at uni and summer? Watch

ReputationRep:
    To all current or past uni students, what jobs have you taken on in your years of being a student?

Do many people choose to have a part time job at uni?
    Do many people only have a summer job?
    Do people have both?

I have my summer/xmas/easter jobs lined up as a work for a supermarket who are happy to take me back when I'm away from uni and back home which I intend to maintain... however...

entering my first year this september, and I'm not sure if I should try and get a job near my uni (I work at Sainsurys so i could probably transfer if I give enough notice) or if I should sit back and enjoy my time without the constraints of a job, which obviously I would have to leave all summer/xmas/easter...

is student finance adequate to live off of alone (i.e. without a job) considering that so far ive saved little money (though i intend to) and also that i will have my parents support (they will pay for oyster card, railcard ect)??

What would you reccomend, and how did you do it??

If I should intend to get a part time job, what hours should i aim for??

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I only work in the holidays and get the minimum loan, and I'm fine for money.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on you personal circumstances. If you can live off your loan and parents then you may not desperately need a job and may prefer to concentrate on studying and just work during the holidays.

I personally can't afford to do that. So far whilst at uni (just finished my second year) I've had a number of jobs often having to miss lectures (and i only have 6 hours a week!) in order to afford to go in the first place.

Ideally if you don't desperately need the money then something like 12 hours a week would probably be good.

ReputationRep:
    You can quite easily live off student finance. But a job will give you more money to enjoy yourself and, more importantly, soak up some of the spare time you will have. You cannot imagine how bored you will get during the first two years at university. The hours are not particularly important as you may have some days completely free, where you could do an eight hour shift, and some where you will struggle to fit any hours in, especially if you have to travel.

Personally, I have never had a proper part-time job since I have been at university. I did some freelance journalism last summer which tided me over (£150 a month) until I got back. But I am looking for jobs at the moment in preparation for postgraduate study, and travelling.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it just depends on your individual circumstances really. If you feel like you need a job once you're there, then go and have a look - I'd wait and see though, as it's pretty ideal to not need a job so you can focus on settling in and the work side of your degree. I didn't have a job in my first year though I could have done with one - I'm considering looking for one for my second year. I'd rather concentrate on Uni (I'm a History student which involves A LOT of reading), but I struggle for money. It's a tough balance. With regards to hours, just see what your Uni routine is like and see what fits for you.

ReputationRep:
    Cool thanks for all the advice, think I will try to avoid getting a job if i can, but work holidays. I guess if i need to get one then I can go and look for one!!

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I'd recommend getting a job during term time. A lot of people work in bars, some manage to get a job with the Student Union (which I luckily managed!). If you're lucky enough to get a job with the SU then they're pretty easy going about shifts (one a week if you wish) and you don't have to work over the holidays. I think a bit of extra money each week is really helpful, whether you get the minimum or maximum loans. It's your personal choice, but I wished I had looked harder for a job from the beginning of uni, and didn't get one until May.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.