Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i know this is usually considered a no no and whilst i appreciate that i'd be far better off getting it done @ the hairdressers, i really can't afford the upkeep!

basically i've got light brown hair, i suppose what you'd call mouse brown, but i've wanted to go lighter for ages. i could afford to get it done properly once but i have short hair that grows really fast so i'd literally have to get it re-done every month which would cost me £££.

i've heard plenty of horror stories before but they've mainly been from people who had really dark hair to begin with.

has anyone had success with dyeing their hair blonde @ home, and if so, what product did you use?

ReputationRep:
    I am considering doing this. If you try it and it works tell me what you did/what you used please. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you try highlighting first before going all over blonde just to see how you like being lighter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurah5498)
    Why don't you try highlighting first before going all over blonde just to see how you like being lighter?
    oh i definitely know that i want to be blonde all over as i was white blonde as a kid so that's not an issue. to be honest i think blonde highlighted hair often looks really tacky, but that's just me

it's just finding a product that would do the job, haha.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh xD Fairy nuff

Why not try having a look at some blonde dyes and trying one out? I'd buy a brown thats close to your natural colour just in case it goes tits up. The emergency dye is a godsend sometimes

ReputationRep:
    Just don't. Hairdressers train for years for a very very good reason. I know you say you can't afford the upkeep but you'll have to find a way - for example if you have time on your hands try your local college that trains the hairdressers, they will do it quite cheap and it's not terrible as it's supervised, however it does take longer than usual.

Pleeeease don't DIY.

ReputationRep:
    I've done it loads. And my hair was quite dark to start with.
    I use L'oreal Recital Preference which I've never had a problem with :yep:
    If it's your first time dying your hair yourself you might want to get a friend to help you tbh as it can be a bit messy if you don't know what you're doing.

ReputationRep:
    I did this to my hair and it went awful and my hair was only light brown. If you have any dye on it that hasnt faded out for at least 2 months, do not do it! Honestly. My hair went orange, brown, yellow, white and it broke and fell off from using ''lightner'' that was apparently bleach.

Get a cap, do all over highlights and pull your hair through. get a friend to do it using bleach and its less damaging to your hair.

ReputationRep:
    aaah conflicting opinions!

the idea of doing it myself does sort of terrify me incase it goes wrong, and i have dyed my hair before (darker) but not for over 6 months now so there'd be no trace of it left.

i don't think i will do it myself now unless anyone else has any positive stories, haha.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I used XXL Lightening Warm Blonde or something...

PM me and I'll try and get you some before and after pics, it turned out quite nicely I did have a hair dresser put it on though, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Dont do it and that coming from someone that dyes her hair whacky colours when she bored. Lightener often contains bleach which can ruin your hair if not done properly. Atleast get your first one done at the hairdressers then consider touching your roots in with a home kit or as someone else said go to a college and let a trainee do it.

ReputationRep:
    Please don't go blonde - brunettes are so sexy :sad:

ReputationRep:
    I've done it! Though not a full head (just a large section on top of my head :P which had previously been green)
    I used Superdrug's own lightner (Colour performance) Applied it on thick left for 45 mins. Came out a bit tobacco blonde but i used John Freida shampoo's to sort this out (the "Go blonder" Shampoo and the toning conditioner) plus occasionally use a toning shampoo that's not very good and feels like it strips my hair.
    You'll need to use LOTS of conditioner after though, my hairdresser is astounded at how good the condition of my hair is concidering it's so blonde!

ReputationRep:
    i went ginger..

i'm going to the hairdressers now i've just got the highlights done..
    i'd say go to the hairdressers, it's definitely the better option.

ReputationRep:
    If you really want to DIY always always do a strange test when going lighter.

Also if you're going to buy bleach check the peroxide concentrate. 6% is less stronger than 9% for example.

ReputationRep:
    I did it myself and had no problems - I've been dying my hair myself for years (though this is the first time I've gone blonde).

I used Garnier Belle Blonde lightener, then L'oreal Nice 'n' Easy shade 83 (light natural blonde, I think the shade was called). I dyed it from red (Schwarzkopf's XXL Live #35) and it didn't go ginger.

Small tip for choosing a blonde shade: since you have mousy brown hair naturally, I'd hazard a guess at you being blonde when you were little. Aim for that shade, and it'll go with your complexion better than just guessing a shade off the shelf.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I have ginger hair and have dyed it myself using Nutrisse, although the first time it was dyed was by a hairdresser.
    It turned out fine .

ReputationRep:
    Dont Go Blonde.....brunettes Are The Best
    White Blonds Just Look Slutty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raisin.)
    oh i definitely know that i want to be blonde all over as i was white blonde as a kid so that's not an issue. to be honest i think blonde highlighted hair often looks really tacky, but that's just me

it's just finding a product that would do the job, haha.
    Depends on your colour technician/hairdresser.

Something something Perfect 10 seems to be getting rave reviews from everywhere at the moment, there's also quite a few nice looking shades for each colour. It also has a sort of comb applicator, so is apparently easier to apply. You also get a conditioner with it that smells pretty nice. My mum has used it and said it's really nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmamamamia)
    I've done it! Though not a full head (just a large section on top of my head :P which had previously been green)
    I used Superdrug's own lightner (Colour performance) Applied it on thick left for 45 mins.

I used this product too and the results were great...especially considering the kit was £3.50 :yes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.