Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh_adele)
    Depends on your colour technician/hairdresser.

Something something Perfect 10 seems to be getting rave reviews from everywhere at the moment, there's also quite a few nice looking shades for each colour. It also has a sort of comb applicator, so is apparently easier to apply. You also get a conditioner with it that smells pretty nice. My mum has used it and said it's really nice.
    My friend used this last week on her mousy brown hair and it turned a horrible brassy colour. Took about 3 lots of Garnier Nutrisse Number 10 to get it to a nice colour!
    I think just stick to a blue toned blonde dye. I would test it on a strand of your hair first and see if you like it. Mix only a small amount first - as the dyes lose their colour properties 45 mins after being mixed - so wouldn't give you enough time to do both the strand and look at the colour then the rest of your hair.
    Im no expert though - luckily i'm naturally blonde!

ReputationRep:
    I always use the BBlonde kits. They have one for light to medium hair, and one for medium to brown. It is proper bleach, so you do need to be careful, but you can get little bits on your skin and it doesn't burn you or anything. I'd recommend doing the strand test AND the sensitivity test, the strand one makes sure you know how long it'll take to turn your hair, and it'll stop it breaking/falling out. I used it on Tuesday and my hair is fine, except it could have done with a little longer, but I got the new John Frieda shampoo + conditioner for lightening blonde hair, and it's doing it slowly. And it's on offer atm for 2 for £6.50 in Boots (and they sell the dye there too!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raisin.)
    i know this is usually considered a no no and whilst i appreciate that i'd be far better off getting it done @ the hairdressers, i really can't afford the upkeep!

basically i've got light brown hair, i suppose what you'd call mouse brown, but i've wanted to go lighter for ages. i could afford to get it done properly once but i have short hair that grows really fast so i'd literally have to get it re-done every month which would cost me £££.

i've heard plenty of horror stories before but they've mainly been from people who had really dark hair to begin with.

has anyone had success with dyeing their hair blonde @ home, and if so, what product did you use?
    I tried to dye my hair blonde from dark brown, and trust me, it just doesn't work! I had dyed dark brown hair, naturally it's strawberry blonde, and I used a pre-lightening kit which make it go very light orange, but yellow at the roots (my natural roots were showing through!) Then I used a blonde dye on top of that, which made it go even more orange, so I bought a new blonde dye hoping it would go the right colour, and it turned ginger, like how it is in my profile picture! So, after all the wasted money buying 2 boxes of dye each time, plus the damage I inflicted on my hair, it would have just been better to go to the hairdressers, which I did eventually do

The good thing aswell is if you don't go for an all over colour, but get highlights, they can do it so they're not starting from your roots, so when your hair grows its not obvious. I got mine done in March and I haven't been back yet and it still looks ok!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuicidalLemming)
    I've done it loads. And my hair was quite dark to start with.
    I use L'oreal Recital Preference which I've never had a problem with :yep:
    If it's your first time dying your hair yourself you might want to get a friend to help you tbh as it can be a bit messy if you don't know what you're doing.
    i eyed that up in boots today and it looked quite decent. it actually claimed to turn brown hair blonde rather than most other dyes which just say 'not recommended' on the back of the box!

i saw your hair in your profile picture and it looks pretty much like the colour i'm after! can i be really cheeky and ask if you just used the l'oreal stuff to do it, and if so what shade? they have like 5 or 6 different blondes!

i'm not sure i'm actually going to do it yet, but i'm definitely considering it. i'm seeing my hairdresser on tuesday and i might attempt to beg him to do it cheaply, hahaha.

thankyou everyone else for your replies as well i know lots can go wrong so i'm going to be careful and only do it if i'm 100% confident!

ReputationRep:
    Well i've used Schwarzkopf Poly Blonde highlights at home for the past five (?) years and never had a problem with them I also have a sort of mousy brown natural haircolour. They also have packages for bleaching your whole head, something i've also been considering lately

ReputationRep:
    i did it my self and my hair was jet black. my hair was orginally blonde and decided i wanted a change and went for the darkest black after bout 3 months got bored of it so i went back to blonde. I bleached my hair which went orange and thn used a meduim blonde and thn a lighter blonde the first time. the second time when i had jet black hair i bleached it again and then covered it with the lightest brown possible within about two weeks it looked realli blonde so i just put the shade of blonde i wanted over it and worked fine. It can be done sometimes depending on what you use and if you bleach alot then your hair will sizzle and break of but if you just do it once it should be fine if not a trim at the hair dressers is less than a tenner. I would prefer to get them to trim it once then get highlights all the time way to high matience hightlights are esp if your a student on a budget

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it..... Don't do itttt! I know thats not what you want to hear but if it will make you change your mind its worth it! Would you like to see some photos of my friend with orange hair?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raisin.)
    i eyed that up in boots today and it looked quite decent. it actually claimed to turn brown hair blonde rather than most other dyes which just say 'not recommended' on the back of the box!

i saw your hair in your profile picture and it looks pretty much like the colour i'm after! can i be really cheeky and ask if you just used the l'oreal stuff to do it, and if so what shade? they have like 5 or 6 different blondes!

i'm not sure i'm actually going to do it yet, but i'm definitely considering it. i'm seeing my hairdresser on tuesday and i might attempt to beg him to do it cheaply, hahaha.

thankyou everyone else for your replies as well i know lots can go wrong so i'm going to be careful and only do it if i'm 100% confident!
    Yeah I always use the l'oreal stuff on my hair :yep: I thinkkk the one I used was '03 ash blonde' but I can't be 100% sure coz I don't have a box of it at the moment..
    Good luck if you do go ahead with it

ReputationRep:
    Oh and if you do bleach it and it turns a brassy colour there are great silver shampoos out there that help a lot

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.