Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you ever feel like you dissapoint your parents? watch

ReputationRep:
    I think the only thing my parents are disapointed about me for (or i could be imagining it, as they don't say anything about it) is that i haven't had a girlfriend yet, but my sister has a boyfriend and she's younger than me... I've only just started being more confident though. Ah well, uni soon and i should hopefully meet some nice people

ReputationRep:
    Academically? No. Neither of them left school with any qualifications so the fact that I'm doing a PhD has exceeded their expectations. They may be disappointed that I've not settled down in a stable relationship yet, nor am I likely to in the foreseeable future.

ReputationRep:
    Yep... 1st Year Uni was one big drinking fest with non-existant classes. So inevitably failed my exams to the most epic degree.
    My parents aren't those pressuring parents that make me work, but the supportive ones who want me to 'do my best', so yeah definitely feel terrible disappointing them. Especially since my brother pissed around 1st Year too and failed his too.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, I only got 7 B's and 1 A at GCSE! :eek: And my sister is really clever, but I think they've just given up on me Meh, I'm happy!

ReputationRep:
    With me, I've managed to disappoint my mum when I was 4/5 month old before I was the apple of her eye and only daughter as before she had three sons but after 4/5 months I had lots of medical problems and failed my gcse exam so yeh I feel I have disappointed her.
    Also doings things she doesn't know makes it even worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    No, because they never had any hopes for me. One of the few advantages of being born to pessimists, I think!

My dad mum had a daughter in a previous marriage who did a lot of awful things (apparently), from loud parties while they were out to abortions and never returning money lent to her by our now deceased grandparents. My father finds it hilarious that he has a daughter who now agrees with him against my mother that they should never have decided to have children. But, in comparison to what they expected, I'm not really a disappointment.
    This.

So, compared to that, I'm the perfect daughter. Result.

ReputationRep:
    My parents have hugely high standards. Everything academic is of huge importance - nothing comes above school (now uni) but these high high high standards go through everything - how I act when out, where I work etc etc.

Therefore I disappoint them very regularly.

I'm over it - no biggie.

ReputationRep:
    No, I might very rarely screw up but my parents are wonderfully supportive.

ReputationRep:
    Well they'd certainly rather have me at their house for all my life (my mum at least). Can't help it, I need to move on. Other than that, they're really proud of me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rimipie)
    yeah because i do so much crap behind their back that they don't know about i feel so bad...but then the weed kicks in, and i don't feel so sad.
    Minus the weed part, yeah me too. Well I used to be like that, now that uni is finished I can be more open! Hopefully I can tell them everything from now on. But I used to have soooo many secrets and have to remember what I had to lie about - it was hard work lol They found out some of the more seedy ones too and I had depression/counselling (sp?) etc, I felt I'd disappointed them then - mostly because my cousin is the same age as me and she is actually perfect. Feel like my dad would have much preferred her.

I think I may disappoint mummy in the future with the lack of grandchildren as I'm the only daughter but meh!

ReputationRep:
    Compared to my brother, definitely.

ReputationRep:
    Often enough. Apparently being slightly untidy means I am a horrible, thoughtless person who is of little interest.

Only ever from my dad really and that was mostly when I was in high school. I know it’s because he only wants the best for me though. Never from my mum, she’s always happy if I’m happy and a bit more easy going than my dad.

Though my social support woman in high school called me a failure when I wanted to drop AH Maths. I was just like k. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    all the timeeee!

ReputationRep:
    Mine will be when their "dream" of saying "My daughter got straight A*s" is disappointed on 27th August.Also I've also thought my dad was a bit disappointed that I was never any good at maths/sciences,and do the whole humanities thing instead,which he views as having little importance :p:

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I can relate to everything on this thread

My parents are totally dissapointed in me cos my dad wants me to be like him when he was little (worship him) and my mum is cos I never seem to do what they want, they are much happier with my younger bro, despite the fact he is.....dumb and I am the one with the bright future and all that jingo.....

ReputationRep:
    Even though everyone else sings my praises on how good I am, polite etc. (not to mention downright sexy ) I can never win against them.......and when I come back from school trips with CCF, they are singing my praises for about 2 days until I become the failure again

ReputationRep:
    Not really. I'm pretty sure my parents would be happy with whatever path I follow as long as I tried my best and was happy.

I'm sure I have at some point over something trivial but nothing major.

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    Mum; "Tristan, I love you, but I think I like you anymore":sad:
    I think my father is proud of me though.

Either way, glad to be out of their respective homes.

ReputationRep:
    yep. my younger brother's stupidly smart so i think they've given up on me really.
    and it doesnt really matter to them what im like as a person unless i have grades to back myself up
    and it doesnt matter how well ive done because i have to be compared to all my cousins and my dad when he was my age

i cant remember the last time they said they were proud of me :sigh:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.