Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you ever feel like you dissapoint your parents? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Don't care whether I dissapoint them. I'm only working for me at the moment, And I think I'm doing alright.

ReputationRep:
    all the time, my work ethic is a lot slacker than my older brother's. I'm also planning to do a BA= instant failure in their eyes.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I know my parents would be proud of me whatever I do, but yes, I do feel like a disappointment to them, especially compared to my sister.

ReputationRep:
    All the time.

ReputationRep:
    Yes a lot, but I'm past caring. They disappoint me too.

ReputationRep:
    big ouch a couple of months back

'do you know that all the unis you're applying to aren't proper unis, they're old poly's, its going to be so embarrassing telling all my friends'

(SHE WENT TO AN OLD POLY!!!!!!!)

ugh yeah so i do disappoint her, apparently i could have gone to cambridge if i'd tried (********!) but yeah it hurt for a bit now i dont care, its almost funny.

ReputationRep:
    No, I dont.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad I don't have parents like most of the above posters. No wonder TSR is the way it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by René Artois)
    No, I dont.
    (Original post by Wyrd14)
    I'm glad I don't have parents like most of the above posters. No wonder TSR is the way it is.
    ^^

ReputationRep:
    Oh God yeah. Especially now I'm taking a gap year when I 'should be going straight to university'. Gah.

ReputationRep:
    I've always been very academic and my family were very confident about deciding what I was going to do career-wise, but I ended up dropping out of university because I didn't want to do it, costing them thousands and thousands and thousands in the process and am now going to do a degree that's not going to get me anywhere. So I do feel like I disappointed them a bit, although they say they're very proud of me.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, always. Meh, **** them. To me, they aren't my family. Just people i have to share a house with.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like if they knew some of the stuff I have done, they would be very disappointed, but they don't, so they're not.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, all the time. Most importantly though, I disappoint myself.

Yes. Everyday.

Since my dad left, I continually feel guilty for keeping in contact with him because my mum makes me feel this way. My mum used to call me fat all the time, and still now makes comments saying 'you shouldnt eat that, you want to be like me when you're older and you don't want to get fat.' I cook, I hoover, do the laundry, wash up, go to sainsburys and get the groceries, polish the floors etc. I probably do a lot more than the average teenager. I come in late from school sometimes I'm so tired yet my mum will shout if I don't get her a cup of tea. In first instance of trouble or emergency in the house, my name is called yet my sister sits around like Lady Muck and does nothing and my mum is constantly comparing me to her. Because of this, I'm shy around my mum, I keep my head down, and she thinks I'm some kind of geek who has no friends, because I'm too scared to ask her to go out, because she wants to know everything, nothing really is plain and simple with her. So she tries to dress me in a way that she thinks is cool. I hate it. Actually at school, I'm pretty popular because I can be myself and I dont have this stress of trying to impress people all the time. Impressing people, I couldn't care less about, family members or my friends. She is a control freak who is now trying to control where I go to university. I'm thankful that there are some sane people around my family who realise what she is like, but in the end, its up to me to speak up and stand up to her. Even after all this, I feel awful for ''disappointing'' her because shes made a lot of sacrifices for me and my sister.

Sorry but I just had to vent.

I disappoint my father because I give in to my mother. It breaks his heart. :o:

ReputationRep:
    yes, but it doesn't bother me anymore. Literally all my family have got 4 A's at A level and gone on to Oxford/Cambridge/Harvard to get firsts. But tbh I don't mind that I'm not the same as them because I don't want the same lifestyles that any of them have. I'm just different to them

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.