Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just nearly missed the last train home because I actually could not run to keep up with my friends... if it wasn't for them holding up the train and happening to have a very understanding driver, I would've had to pay for a £50 taxi home

It's made me realise that I am either really unfit, or have zero self-motivation... I'm slim-average and have a pretty average diet, not too healthy but not terrible. I don't exercise - I walk to places a lot, and don't mind working on my feet all day, but that's it... I can't motivate myself at all to do exercise

But tonight made me realise, what if I'd had to run from an attacker or something? So I've decided I really, really need to fit up.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe start running?

ReputationRep:
    I think if it's a matter of life/death, anyone could run really ******* fast! But yes, I do get your point.

Start going to the gym or running a few blocks around your house?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    are you James May in disguise?

ReputationRep:
    nah trust me, i'm just like you, i hate p.e and got a stitch even if i so much as threw a ball, but trust me when you're running from something dangerous, you RUN. i was being chased by a german sheperd once and i ran for my f****** life, i don't know how, maybe your brain senses you're about to die

ReputationRep:
    Depends how badly you wanted to catch that train. In the past, I've really been bent on catching up with public transport and caught it most times because I ran my arse off. And I don't do excercise, either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by co_co_vogue)
    Maybe start running?
    Steady now, lets not get too radical! :rolleyes:

(Original post by Cultivated)
    I think if it's a matter of life/death, anyone could run really ******* fast! But yes, I do get your point.

Start going to the gym or running a few blocks around your house?
    Not sure they could though..or certainly not for very far
    Most actors are thin so all these horror films with the zombies and the disasters and the running you forget that there's probably a load of fat / really unfit people who dont even appear in the running down the street away from the disaster because theyr too slow.

OP. To elude your attacker you need the speed to escape over short distance and the stamina to get a considerable distance away(I'd say for a thief/robber you wanna put about a kilometre between, but about 3 times that (3k) if they are a rapist/murderer or something nasty like that).

You need these skills up and just beyond the point where you can outrun your slowest friend.

I advise you find your fastest friend (not the other slowies, you need them to remain unhealthy and slow to improve you survival chances)and persuade them to let you accompany them in their sport of choice.

ReputationRep:
    It's as much about me wanting to be fitter for the sake of my health, as well as in threatening situations! (Plus, it was kinda embarrassing being the one who lags behind.)

I'm faster than my friends, but they have a lot more stamina... eg. on treadmills, I find high-speed running MUCH easier than jog/mid-pace. Often feel lacking in energy when I'm out shopping or something too, though rarely at work any exercise/diet changes that might make a difference?

ReputationRep:
    Learn self defense will help stop attackers also...

But you could try running a bit every day if you want...

Dw too much! You're ok =) I would be worried about missing trains, not attackers (£50 is a ton of money to lose!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elixira)
    any exercise/diet changes that might make a difference?
    Unless you are overweight (I will leave this for you to determine, not even going to try and judge online) you should probably focus on the exercise side of things.
    [Although obviously if there are certain things in your diet that you know are bad then try and cut them out!]

Martial Art is a fair suggestion if you are scared of attackers but I would suggest a sport like swimming, squash or running to build your stamina and general fitness.
    Maybe run and see how far you can comfortably run fast for and then just build that up incrementally till you can run fast for 30 minutes?

Good Luck =)

ReputationRep:
    I despise running with the greatest passion; have zero stamina. Yet, when it comes to a short, powerful sprint I will outrun anyone only to find myself catching breath for 10 minutes. I'm an itsy bitsy teeny weeny underweight but a chain smoker. I suggest you hit the gym if it's something that is bothering you. Make sure to balance your activities out and not run like a rat on a treadmill. Swimming is excellent, along with taking the bike instead of public transport. A rowing machine is a good way of strengthening your back muscles which is what people tend to forget to work on. This will make you less susceptible to injuries. And how could I forget aerobics and spinning? That used to be a killer for me. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to do only running in order to improve your fitness - there are other types of cardio.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand. Are you physically incapable of running?

ReputationRep:
    While you're running think to yourself, either I run as fast as I can or I'm paying £50.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScotlandStandUp)
    While you're running think to yourself, either I run as fast as I can or I'm paying £50.
    I should have - but there have been so many times my friends have got in a massive panic about missing a train and we've had to powerwalk to the station... then we're still ages early. So I was the laid back, 'Oh, don't worry, we've got loads of time' person.

Hmm, I suppose that was part of the problem, I probably would've made more effort to run otherwise.

Anyway, I might try swimming because with any other exercise I get bored after a couple of minutes - especially with the gym. I love being in water though!

ReputationRep:
    I just nearly missed the last train home because I actually could not run to keep up with my friends... if it wasn't for them holding up the train and happening to have a very understanding driver, I would've had to pay for a £50 taxi home

It's made me realise that I am either really unfit, or have zero self-motivation... I'm slim-average and have a pretty average diet, not too healthy but not terrible. I don't exercise - I walk to places a lot, and don't mind working on my feet all day, but that's it... I can't motivate myself at all to do exercise

But tonight made me realise, what if I'd had to run from an attacker or something? So I've decided I really, really need to fit up.
    If you're wanting to just fit up, then I would recommend looking at some beginners running plans. Google for "Couch to 5K" and have a look at the training plans offered... they really are for absolute beginners, so start gently. As for looking at your diet, you said already that you were quite slim. When running it's important to make sure you're getting the right foods; plently of slowly digested carbs, wholegrain stuff etc.

The first thing you can do is get out of the door and walk/jog a bit! And as you start doing significant mileage, get some proper shoes!

All the best with it! Any questions, feel free to PM me.

ReputationRep:

You could start by running.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Wi$e-One)
    are you James May in disguise?
    Lets be fair, he does run on TV now.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.