Turn on thread page Beta

Wrong to not want to work in McDonalds because there are so many ethnic minorites? watch

ReputationRep:
    I was offered a job in McDonald's but turned it down because nearly all the people that work there are black or asian (mainly chinese). I've nothing against them but I just get the feeling I won't feel happy working there because they all have strong accents and I wont be able to have decent conversations with them. Is it wrong/racist to want to work with largely white people? (I'm white obviously) My friends and family are pretty divided on this.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

I never knew the way you pronounced words or the colour of your skin meant you were any less fun!

Thanks for enlightening me OP!

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    You forgot your "I'm not racist, but [casual racism]" disclaimer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FyreFight)
    No. You see threads on here all the time from minorities asking whether there are other asian/black people at certain unis, and people are completely sympathetic.

A white person not wanting to work at McD's because there are no other whites is exactly the same sort of thing.
    The people who are sympathetic are probably quite racist themselves.

ReputationRep:
    No. You see threads on here all the time from minorities asking whether there are other asian/black people at certain unis, and people are completely sympathetic.

A white person not wanting to work at McD's because there are no other whites is exactly the same sort of thing.
    Agreed. I don't see how people can't understand this. If I was Asian and I didn't want to work with mainly white people, no-one would criticise it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it is slightly racist but it's nothing major

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eric Arthur)
    The people who are sympathetic are probably quite racist themselves.
    They're usually whites who recognise that people of the same ethnic background are far more likely to have shared interests.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, you sound racist to me
    Look, I go to college, we got loads of ethnic minorities, so what?
    I'm white British and still going to take the job, earn some money (pretty steady job in a recession tbh)
    And, you're screwed finding another job now, it's hard to, mc donalds is the easy job to get!

ReputationRep:
    It's not wrong but I think it is a bit misguided, the international students I work with in my part time job are all brilliant to talk to, and most of the time you're too busy for a natter anyway.

Besides, work is hard to come by these days, you should be thankful for the income!

ReputationRep:
    Probably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimmy19)
    Agreed. I don't see how people can't understand this. If I was Asian and I didn't want to work with mainly white people, no-one would criticise it.
    Actually, they'd bring the "you should integrate more with British society, *****" rant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimmy19)
    I would.

ReputationRep:

No it's not. A part time job at mcdonalds is completely different to spending 3-4 years studying and in most cases living somewhere.

ReputationRep:

I dunno if that's racist as per say (sp?)
    They're asking to segretre themselves into different culture groups, happens at my college, unis too I guess (you got the Nepelese groups, the Middle East groups, the art rock groups, the townies, they're not labelled usually, but they got something in common generally)

But not wanting to work somewhere because they are ethnic minorities and not white is racist...
    The minorities are not trying to avoid the whites, but this person is.

ReputationRep:
    No. I work there n your right... Most of the time they're talking in their own lanugage anyway and your stuck not knowing a single thing! Also, most of them barely even speak english!

ReputationRep:
    I've learnt not to post threads like this on here. You'll be called all sorts by these lefties who think it's racist to describe a black man as a black man.

ReputationRep:
    'Racist' is an overused, heavily emotional term.

Racism certainly isn't a black and white concept.

ReputationRep:
    Dude, it's a recession... and you turned down a job because of the other employees' races and "strong accents"? Seriously? Well you obviously can't need a job that badly then, it's a good thing you turned it down, now the job can go to someone who really needs it/deserves it.

On answering your question - it might not be wrong if you just want to work with people you'll identify more with, but it is kinda pathetic/childish.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.