Turn on thread page Beta

My bf intimidates me... watch

(Original post by René Artois)
    Im sure much of what you just said OP is completely exaggerated.
    Nope, that was just the surface. I'm at my wits end with him. He makes me miserable, he makes me cry, he says the cruellest things you can imagine to me then breaks down and apologises subsquently, he will rub other girls in my face on a regular basis, he will berate my efforts to dress up and look good, he will criticise my body every day, he'll send me abusive texts, he'll accuse me for "ruining his life", he'll threaten to hurt me if I say something he dislikes. He sulks to get his own way and manipulates me all the time.

He has grown up in a very unstable environment so I am pretty certain this is where he has acquired his foul tempred and insecure personality from.

He's probably going through a rough time, maybe there's something he isn't telling you. Talk to him first, but if he carries on trying to control you then you should dump him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Nope, that was just the surface. I'm at my wits end with him. He makes me miserable, he makes me cry, he says the cruellest things you can imagine to me then breaks down and apologises subsquently, he will rub other girls in my face on a regular basis, he will berate my efforts to dress up and look good, he will criticise my body every day, he'll send me abusive texts, he'll accuse me for "ruining his life", he'll threaten to hurt me if I say something he dislikes. He sulks to get his own way and manipulates me all the time.

He has grown up in a very unstable environment so I am pretty certain this is where he has acquired his foul tempred and insecure personality from.
    Has he had many relationships before?

Other than growing up in an unstable environment thats the only reason I could see for him doing that. :holmes:

(Original post by voudreau)
    I do think it is possible for someone to love you but treat you like crap strage as it may seem. However you need to look at this from your point of view - he clearly isn't. You deserve better and the worrying thing is that if you carry on putting up with this then you will begin to accept it... you can't let him think this is normal behaviour.
    The sad thing is I HAVE started to accept it as normal as I have put up with it for so long. That's almost why I have made this thread, to remind myself that it isn't. It's only when I tell my best friend for example how he behaves it hits me how bad it has really got. Thanks for your advice, you seem to know your stuff. Or maybe this is just obvious and it's only me who is not getting it... :p:

Has he had many relationships before?

Other than growing up in an unstable environment thats the only reason I could see for him doing that. :holmes:
    It's mine and his first relationship.

ReputationRep:
    It's mine and his first relationship.
    You know thats probably the reason. I was a **** to my first girlfriend,nothing like that, but I was still a **** to her. Personally id get rid of him D: He wont change.

(Original post by tom_tom_tom)
    Lots of people are saying to give him the boot, if he is getting to you that much it may be a wise move.

However i know its not that easy, so maybe tryand talk to him about it, there may be some reason for it, maybe he needs to talk to someone about some anger managment or just to talk to someone in general, if he will take it well you may suggest this.
    He refuses to believe he has a problem so there is no question of me bringing it up again to him. To be honest, I am feeling very trapped in this so called relationship and would much rather leave, but if anything I am pretty terrified of how he will react if I dump him. I've seen how he is if I go out to a club without him, I dread to think what he may do if I leave him.

You know thats probably the reason. I was a **** to my first girlfriend (nothing like that) but I was still a **** to her. Personally id get rid of him D: He wont change.
    And why were you a ****? Did you love her? Did you take her for granted? Or are you a **** in general?

ReputationRep:
    I want someone to give me an explanation if anything. I just can't figure him out.
    The truth is that some people in this world are, surprise coming up, *******s. However, girls always manage to fall for them because they said "you look nice today" once.

Get rid of him. Read your first post again - you sound more like a victim than a girlfriend.

ReputationRep:
    And why were you a ****? Did you love her? Did you take her for granted? Or are you a **** in general?
    I dont know, I just never knew how to act I suppose is my only justification. Yes, I did. But it would be very easy to see why he does this, being from a ****** up background he probably thinks this is acceptable.

(Original post by emmie19)
    I'm afraid I don't know him personally. No one here does.
    But has he always done this? Or is this a new thing? Could there be a reason you know of why he's acting this way (i.e. family, e.t.c)
    Yes, always been like this. Sadly, I am starting to realise he won't ever change. Shame I didn't see it from the start. My best friend has been telling me from day one.

ReputationRep:
    Get rid of him.

splishysplash.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, always been like this. Sadly, I am starting to realise he won't ever change. Shame I didn't see it from the start. My best friend has been telling me from day one.
    Then that's his personality... or at least a part of it.

ReputationRep:
    I would stab that douche in the chin with a fork. Full power. No messing around.

I dont know, I just never knew how to act I suppose is my only justification. Yes, I did. But it would be very easy to see why he does this, being from a ****** up background he probably thinks this is acceptable.
    Thing is, he acknowledges when he has hurt me sometimes. So he must know he is in the wrong. He just goes ahead and does it anyway. Yet will cry buckets if I suggest I don't love him anymore. Well then why ******* treat me like dirt?

(Original post by James')
    I would stab that douche in the chin with a fork. Full power. No messing around.
    Lol.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is, he acknowledges when he has hurt me sometimes. So he must know he is in the wrong. He just goes ahead and does it anyway. Yet will cry buckets if I suggest I don't love him anymore. Well then why ******* treat me like dirt?
    Seriously hes just a **** then. He may change but chances are he wont and its not worth trying to change him if im honest

ReputationRep:
    any chance he could be bi-polar? thats the word for people who have really sudden mood swings isnt it?

ReputationRep:
    The sad thing is I HAVE started to accept it as normal as I have put up with it for so long. That's almost why I have made this thread, to remind myself that it isn't. It's only when I tell my best friend for example how he behaves it hits me how bad it has really got. Thanks for your advice, you seem to know your stuff. Or maybe this is just obvious and it's only me who is not getting it... http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/p.gif
    You're welcome http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/p.gif Yeh, I do know my stuff, I am an experthttp://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...s/smartass.gif lol. I have seen it before so I know its hard for you but I also know the sooner you do something about it the better. Just make sure you have alot of support from your friends because if he cuts you off from them it will be a million times harder.

ReputationRep:
    He refuses to believe he has a problem so there is no question of me bringing it up again to him. To be honest, I am feeling very trapped in this so called relationship and would much rather leave, but if anything I am pretty terrified of how he will react if I dump him. I've seen how he is if I go out to a club without him, I dread to think what he may do if I leave him.
    You cant let him trap you like that, if you are really feeling it then i think it is best that you leave, surely he dosent want to hurt you like he is atm?

By the sounds of it you have little options, he is not going to want to keep you in a relationship you dont want to be in, i hope he will see some sense.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.