Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

I don't know what to do, any advice?
    I think you know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    He refuses to believe he has a problem so there is no question of me bringing it up again to him. To be honest, I am feeling very trapped in this so called relationship and would much rather leave, but if anything I am pretty terrified of how he will react if I dump him. I've seen how he is if I go out to a club without him, I dread to think what he may do if I leave him.
    You need to get rid of him ASAP. Tell him the relationship isn't working and it's over.

Taking into account what you've said about him, he may well try to make you feel bad for hurting him or make you worry that you'll never find anyone else. But you HAVE to stick with your decision because if you don't he'll take you even less seriously the next time.

I think you might find that once he's realised that you've wised up to his poor behaviour he won't try too hard to make you stay. The sort of man who likes girls he can manipulate isn't the sort of man who admires strength or independence in a woman.

If you're worried he's going to get violent then perhaps have somebody else present when you tell him, preferably your parents.

ReputationRep:
    He doesn't sound like a boyfriend, more like a boyenemy or boyacquaintance

(Original post by Sophistress)
    You need to get rid of him ASAP. Tell him the relationship isn't working and it's over.

Taking into account what you've said about him, he may well try to make you feel bad for hurting him or make you worry that you'll never find anyone else. But you HAVE to stick with your decision because if you don't he'll take you even less seriously the next time.

I think you might find that once he's realised that you've wised up to his poor behaviour he won't try too hard to make you stay. The sort of man who likes girls he can manipulate isn't the sort of man who admires strength or independence in a woman.

If you're worried he's going to get violent then perhaps have somebody else present when you tell him, preferably your parents.
    He already has told me I'll never find anyone else, even though I know I am a lot more likely than him to find someone, simply because I am a nicer person than he is. I have tried to initiate a break up in the past but he will bombard me with calls and texts making me feel guilty/threatened enough to contact him. I know in my heart I do not love him anymore but I would like to never see him again, because he makes me feel depressed and lacking in confidence.

Sadly, he used to say he loved me for being opnionated and confident. Yet, whilst with him, he will ignore or crush anything I have to say and make me feel worhtless.

Thanks for your help hun, it sounds like you know what you're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    He already has told me I'll never find anyone else, even though I know I am a lot more likely than him to find someone, simply because I am a nicer person than he is. I have tried to initiate a break up in the past but he will bombard me with calls and texts making me feel guilty/threatened enough to contact him. I know in my heart I do not love him anymore but I would like to never see him again, because he makes me feel depressed and lacking in confidence.

Sadly, he used to say he loved me for being opnionated and confident. Yet, whilst with him, he will ignore or crush anything I have to say and make me feel worhtless.

Thanks for your help hun, it sounds like you know what you're talking about.
    You need to make sure you don't engage him in a discussion about the break up. There is no discussion to be had. It isn't working, it's over. You don't even need to give him explanation.

Ignore his texts. If they are threatening then keep a record of them all. Sending malicious calls/texts is a criminal offence and if he makes any threats then you should call your local police station on their regular number and make them aware of the situation.

Remember, he cannot dictate your own worth unless YOU allow him to. Knocking your confidence and making you worry that you won't find anyone else is his way of manipulating you, and at the moment you are facilitating his behaviour. It's a vicious circle. You'll be able to regain your sense of self-worth and confidence once you ditch this guy, but at the moment it's that which is holding you back - and he knows it. You need to stand firm with your decision to evict him from your life as scary/upsetting as that sounds.

Is there anyone you can talk to about all this? It's a lot to have to cope with on your own. Good luck. I promise it will get better in time and you'll look back on this relationship as a youthful mistake.

ReputationRep:
    he sounds extremely insecure, probably thinks subconciously that you are too good for him. he sounds scared that other guys might steal you from him. he sounds like he can be pretty manipulative too. if you love this guy one way to not make it as bad is to massage his ego, try and make him feel better about himself. if that doesnt work then you might have to get rid of him - a relationship should be based on good feelings, if he's negative all the time then its not worth it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.