Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I think my friend might have mental problems watch

ReputationRep:
    hes:

- smiles for no reason
    - sometimes talks to himself (slightly)
    - his anger is really bottled up like these kids (in year 10) were throwing his bag to each other and then he hit 1 of them im the back of the head with the bag (plus the look on his face was scary but he was under alot of pressure at this time)
    - hes in his head alot

do you think he has problem? how would you aproach this?

ReputationRep:
    and hes also had alto of trouble with emotions like one extream to the other.

ReputationRep:
    He sounds pretty normal for a 15/16 year old really.

ReputationRep:
    No, I do all of the above ...

ReputationRep:
    -How do you know he doesn't have a reason for smiling? maybe he's just being friendly
    -Lots of people talk to themselves slightly
    -I would get angry too if some kids were throwing my stuff around
    -You mean he's quiet? nothing wrong with that.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like hes a bit introverted and aggrivated, thats for sure but that doesnt necessarily mean he has mental problems.
    There are alot of people who find it hard to deal with their emotions and your mate could be one of them.

Have you tried talking to him about it? There is a chance that he may not realise that his behaviour seems strange.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    He sounds pretty normal for a 15/16 year old really.
    most of these were seen when we were 15 - 16 but I only see him like once a week for about 4 hours since yr 11 but I have seen him longer before

ReputationRep:
    Bipolar disorder?

Or have I been watching too much EastEnders lately? :party:

ReputationRep:
    how is he not acting normally? What is normal?

psychiatry is pants. it's common knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wallflower*)
    -How do you know he doesn't have a reason for smiling? maybe he's just being friendly
    -Lots of people talk to themselves slightly
    -I would get angry too if some kids were throwing my stuff around
    -You mean he's quiet? nothing wrong with that.
    - he just doesnt stop
    - really?
    - I mean like he never gets angry and then just blows up
    - hes that too but I mean he daydreams alot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    It sounds like hes a bit introverted and aggrivated, thats for sure but that doesnt necessarily mean he has mental problems.
    There are alot of people who find it hard to deal with their emotions and your mate could be one of them.

Have you tried talking to him about it? There is a chance that he may not realise that his behaviour seems strange.
    hes introverted, how would talking go "btw you dont act normal"

ReputationRep:
    I talk to myself all the time and I don't have a mental pro .. Oh wait. I do. :sad:

Seriously though, he might just not be the 'average' teenage kid. So what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    Bipolar disorder?

what is this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    hes introverted, how would talking go "btw you dont act normal"
    Well you could ask him if hes been feeling a bit stressed out recently and if hes okay particularly if you have seen him get quite aggressive to other people. Asking him about the bag incident might be a good place to start!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    Bipolar disorder?

u have!!!

no he is not mental, my m8 is mental; he breaks your bike after you lend it too him....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    what is this?
    Bipolar disorder: Also known as manic depression

ReputationRep:
    somebody is mentally ill if they have an abnormality that causes them distress. is he distressed? if not, it's a free country, let him be.

ReputationRep:
    Someone has started avoiding me since they heard me talking absent-mindedly to myself. Christ.

Anyway, you know him better than us. If something seems a bit off to you, chances are, something is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    what is this?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar_disorder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    Well you could ask him if hes been feeling a bit stressed out recently and if hes okay particularly if you have seen him get quite aggressive to other people. Asking him about the bag incident might be a good place to start!
    welll he was in a bad place when that happened (heres a timeline):

- Friend gets beat up (he gets blamed for not being there)
    - Friend's aboves mum phones his mum and he got his comp taken off him
    - All friends take the friend who got beat upside
    - he runs home one day (he lives near school - I think he was crying because his voice was weird)
    - he has 3 coursework deadlines due on friday
    - friend and him are playing football and the friend trips over the ball when going to get it and goes to hospital (he gets blamed again)
    - he has an business exam and the friend above (now with cast on leg) asks him to go get his lunch even though my friend has brought in packed so he can eat quick and not be last for exams
    - A friend of the football lad but no him goes up to him and says "you selfish *******, its your fault hes like this" and he goes "**** off, know what your talking about before you speak"
    - The bag thing

I think this would **** the best of us up

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.