Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I think my friend might have mental problems Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    somebody is mentally ill if they have an abnormality that causes them distress. is he distressed? if not, it's a free country, let him be.
    here is his situation at the time (timeline):

- Friend gets beat up (he gets blamed for not being there)
    - Friend's aboves mum phones his mum and he got his comp taken off him
    - All friends take the friend who got beat upside
    - he runs home one day (he lives near school - I think he was crying because his voice was weird)
    - he has 3 coursework deadlines due on friday
    - friend and him are playing football and the friend trips over the ball when going to get it and goes to hospital (he gets blamed again)
    - he has an business exam and the friend above (now with cast on leg) asks him to go get his lunch even though my friend has brought in packed so he can eat quick and not be last for exams
    - A friend of the football lad but no him goes up to him and says "you selfish *******, its your fault hes like this" and he goes "**** off, know what your talking about before you speak"
    - The bag thing

ReputationRep:
    Sounds a lot like me actually...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hlaalu)
    Sounds a lot like me actually...
    how so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    Bipolar disorder?

Or have I been watching too much EastEnders lately? :party:
    Too much Eastenders methinks, from my somewhat limited knowledge of Bipolar disorder I think the only possible symptom that would be linked is the sudden anger outburst (mood swings) and that's a bit tenuous.

To me OP, he just sounds really stressed and like he needs a bit of break, and people need to stop blaming him for stuff he has no control over.

(Original post by DOA)
    welll he was in a bad place when that happened (heres a timeline):

- he runs home one day (he lives near school - I think he was crying because his voice was weird)
    - friend and him are playing football and the friend trips over the ball when going to get it and goes to hospital (he gets blamed again)
    - he has an business exam and the friend above (now with cast on leg) asks him to go get his lunch even though my friend has brought in packed so he can eat quick and not be last for exams
    - A friend of the football lad but no him goes up to him and says "you selfish *******, its your fault hes like this" and he goes "**** off, know what your talking about before you speak"
    - The bag thing

I think this would **** the best of us up
    While i certainly sympathise with them, the final statement you make is frankly ridiculous. This is hardly something major or life changing. He'll go through it and forget about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    While i certainly sympathise with them, the final statement you make is frankly ridiculous. This is hardly something major or life changing. He'll go through it and forget about it.
    I know he did but at that moment it could have caused problems

(Original post by DOA)
    Ah fair enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Too much Eastenders methinks, from my somewhat limited knowledge of Bipolar disorder I think the only possible symptom that would be linked is the sudden anger outburst (mood swings) and that's a bit tenuous.

To me OP, he just sounds really stressed and like he needs a bit of break, and people need to stop blaming him for stuff he has no control over.
    It happened a while ago but do you thin k it could have caused strange behavior at that point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    It happened a while ago but do you thin k it could have caused strange behavior at that point
    Sorry, what happened a while ago?

*random snog*

ReputationRep:
    this: here is his situation at the time (timeline):

- The bag thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    So you think he had sufficient reason to get angry? So why have you used that to suggest that he's mentally ill? Perhaps there's more, but he doesn't sound it from what you've said. More importantly, it doesn't sound like there'd be any benefit to be gained from labelling him as such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meliae)
    So you think he had sufficient reason to get angry? So why have you used that to suggest that he's mentally ill? Perhaps there's more, but he doesn't sound it from what you've said. More importantly, it doesn't sound like there'd be any benefit to be gained from labelling him as such.
    I think it may have made him act strange but he does still do everything and the bag thing was an extream example

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    this: here is his situation at the time (timeline):

- The bag thing
    That's what I was talking about. Looking at that timeline, he's got a lot of stress going in, and pretty much everyone seems to be getting on his case, he's been blamed/blamed himself for two people getting hurt.

And if someone who I only vaguely knew came up to me and called me a selfish *******, I'd be effing at them as well. The bag thing is just the last straw in a long list of things piling on the pressure.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I was talking about. Looking at that timeline, he's got a lot of stress going in, and pretty much everyone seems to be getting on his case, he's been blamed/blamed himself for two people getting hurt.

And if someone who I only vaguely knew came up to me and called me a selfish *******, I'd be effing at them as well. The bag thing is just the last straw in a long list of things piling on the pressure.
    do think it could have caused him to behave strangly. He also had no friends at this point (we all left him - I had no idea what it was doing to him). I think he was resonable for refusing to get that lunch because he would have 30 mins without it and the que was massive and he might not have go time to eat while that lad had an hour like normal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    I think it may have made him act strange but he does still do everything and the bag thing was an extream example
    I know several people who've done things like that (suddenly reacted to something fairly minor with scary amounts of anger). I don't think that makes them mentally ill. The other 3 things on your list were all closely related and basically involved him talking to himself a lot, mainly in his head (probably the reason behind the random smiling). That really isn't that weird and certainly doesn't mean he has a mental illness. Perhaps (he thinks) he doesn't have anyone else to talk to. That could also be why he bottles up his anger. If you want to help him, you could try getting to know him better rather than suggesting he see a psychiatrist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    do think it could have caused him to behave strangly. He also had no friends at this point (we all left him - I had no idea what it was doing to him). I think he was resonable for refusing to get that lunch because he would have 30 mins without it and the que was massive and he might not have go time to eat while that lad had an hour like normal
    Yes... all the stress of all the things in the past, the impending exam stress and then the stress of being called a selfish ******* would probably cause anyone to go off on one. Don't worry about it - If you're really worried about him, ask him about it.

On reading your symptoms, I'd strongly recommend he seeks a doctor/psychiatrist, he's certainly got bipolar disorder, schizoid personality disorder (if not fully developed schizophrenia), Asperger's syndrome, depersonalization disorder, social phobia, clinical depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder and antisocial personality disorder. And it's very likely he has dyslexia and enuresis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glutamic Acid)
    On reading your symptoms, I'd strongly recommend he seeks a doctor/psychiatrist, he's certainly got bipolar disorder, schizoid personality disorder (if not fully developed schizophrenia), Asperger's syndrome, depersonalization disorder, social phobia, clinical depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder and antisocial personality disorder. And it's very likely he has dyslexia and enuresis.
    Marry me.

(Oh, and I believe you missed out Multiple Personality Disorder :yep:)

ReputationRep:
    Yes... all the stress of all the things in the past, the impending exam stress and then the stress of being called a selfish ******* would probably cause anyone to go off on one. Don't worry about it - If you're really worried about him, ask him about it.
    would you think that having no friends at this point would have made him worse?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.