Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    First off I'll do my stats
    I am 6ft 2 and weigh 14 stone/ 185 pounds
    I am not really that overweight, like no excess weight on legs or arms, but my stomach is really flabby, like i have man boobs and a big overhanging belly. I would say losing a stone would be enough to get me in shape

I have been trying to lose weight for about 2 months now, but have been failing miserably. I lost a few pounds the first week but i think that was mainly water weight.

I go to the gym 5 days a week and do mainly cardio work like today I did a 5k run/walk then 20 mins on a cross trainer. And I usually do HIIT on the treadmill twice a week. I also do weights twice a week.

I eat healthily, with bran flakes for breakfast soup for lunch and something healthy for dinner, usually around 1800 calories a day which i think is reasonble enough for a guy my size.

Am I doing something wrong? because I really should have lost weight by now.
    Anyone got any advise on what to do?

Because After 2 months of this I am ready on this and just starve myself for a few days, I know its unhealthy and a bad way but it does work.

Edit: btw i haven't just put on muscle, I have taken pictures of me before and now and they look the exact same, and I am still all flabby

ReputationRep:
    2 months is a pretty short timespan. I'd give it a few more months before you re-think your plan.

Also, don't do too much cardio - if you're burning too many calories and not taking enough in, your body will hang on to every morsel instead. It's important to get the balance right with calories in, calories out.

ReputationRep:
    How much have you lost over 2 months? It's not very long, you probably would be able to see much of a difference in that time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by co_co_vogue)
    How much have you lost over 2 months? It's not very long, you probably would be able to see much of a difference in that time.
    I have only lost about 4 pounds, which I feel is an aweful amount to have lost within 2 months, Considering 2 years ago I partially starved myself and I lost about 2 stone in a month

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt10101)
    I have only lost about 4 pounds, which I feel is an aweful amount to have lost within 2 months, Considering 2 years ago I partially starved myself and I lost about 2 stone in a month

Maybe keep track of calories more and increase cardio. And there is no need to starve, you'll screw up your metabolism.

ReputationRep:
    Well, according to your weight, age and height, you should probably eat around 2100 cals a day to lose weight gradually.

ReputationRep:
    you need to zig zag your metabolism. When you starved yourself, your metabolism went really low, and your body has probably got used to surviving below normal calorie intake. Therfore what you should try is something like 5 days have a colorific deficit and do cardio with endurance and also HIIT. For the weights do less rest periods and more reps. Body will get used to this routine, then you send it a curve ball and start having a calorific surplus. Eat more, do limitied/no cardio and increase weight intensity and rest times. This should work in no time. Do this 5 days per for 30 days. Should see a massive differnce.

ReputationRep:
    Are you not lifting weights?

Start doing some heavy compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, presses) for 5 sets of 5 reps ish, about 3 times a week. Then come back in another 3 months and see where you are.

ReputationRep:
    1 stone of fat in 2 months should be just doable.

1 stone= 14lb

14 lb in 8 weeks is less than 2lb/week but that is pushing it. Hell, 1lb/week is pushing it for most. Do what SMed said, maybe some cardio (though its not the most useful thing in the world)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.