philosophy @ uni Watch

This discussion is closed.
Linda
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Is it possible to change courses once you have recieved an offer?
Is it possible to change from PPE to philosophy at Durham or from Government and economics to analytical philosophy at LSE? Have anyone ever done this?
If not, is it possible to do graduate studies in philosophy without a philosophy bachelor degree?
hildabeast
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Linda)
Is it possible to change courses once you have recieved an offer?
Is it possible to change from PPE to philosophy at Durham or from Government and economics to analytical philosophy at LSE? Have anyone ever done this?
If not, is it possible to do graduate studies in philosophy without a philosophy bachelor degree?

Usually its not possible to do postgrad studies without having done a degree with some philosophy component to it. I would imagine that, as long as the courses you want to switch to are not too competitive it may be acceptable. However, they would probably expect a good reason as they look for dedication to the subject, and you are switching to a completely unrelated course at LSE which they might not be too keen on. Why on earth do you want to read analytic philosophy though? That's very specific and ignores pretty much the whole history of philosophy before 1900 and some modern traditions too.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Linda
Rep:
?
the course is called Philosophy, logic and the scientific process (of either natural sciences or social sciences). I really liked the description of it, and analytical philosophy is more useful than continental.
Is it possible to withdraw my current application and re-apply? Or do I have to wait until next year? How likely is it that I will get an offer to do masters of philosophy with a PPE background?
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Linda)
the course is called Philosophy, logic and the scientific process
oh yuck, lol!
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I imagine if you take PPE and do mainly stay on the philosophical side of it, you will be able to progress on to a masters
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Linda)
the course is called Philosophy, logic and the scientific process (of either natural sciences or social sciences). I really liked the description of it, and analytical philosophy is more useful than continental.
Is it possible to withdraw my current application and re-apply? Or do I have to wait until next year? How likely is it that I will get an offer to do masters of philosophy with a PPE background?
Very likely, as long as you get a 2:1. PPE is a well-respected degree with a philosophy component and that is all you need. Maybe you could try again for Oxford at postgrad level? They certainly respect PPE when selecting for the BPhil.

Linda
Rep:
?
(Original post by hildabeast)
Very likely, as long as you get a 2:1. PPE is a well-respected degree with a philosophy component and that is all you need. Maybe you could try again for Oxford at postgrad level? They certainly respect PPE when selecting for the BPhil.

Right now I'm to hurt to even think about applying to Oxford again...
aliel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
My friend at Oxford started this October, she started doing French and Arabic..and is now just doing Arabic. I am not sure how she managed to do so, or how she went about it..but i am sure it is possible once you are in the institution. Just dont mention it,til u have actually been accepted. Plus it cant be too dissimilar to the one you applied for ( i would have thought) GoodLuck xx
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Linda)
Right now I'm to hurt to even think about applying to Oxford again...
Awwww I'm sorry. Well don't think of it as a closed door but as an opportunity. It is their loss after all, and you have a chance now to go to another excellent institution and prove them wrong by getting a brilliant degree. You will have plenty of other chances to do something like this in life and it is NOT the end of the world. I know you probably think it is easy for me to say that and in some ways it is, but I know plenty of people who were turned down and you need to pick yourself up, leave it behind you, and carry on with your applications with dignity.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
My friend at Oxford started this October, she started doing French and Arabic..and is now just doing Arabic. I am not sure how she managed to do so, or how she went about it..but i am sure it is possible once you are in the institution. Just dont mention it,til u have actually been accepted. Plus it cant be too dissimilar to the one you applied for ( i would have thought) GoodLuck xx
A good friend of mine was at Christ Church and swapped from CAAH (archaeology and history) to philosophy and theology in the middle of the first term. It is possible but not always and the colleges don't normally like it.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x--x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
its quite normal to change course once your there...

love Katy ***
Linda
Rep:
?
(Original post by ickle_katy)

love Katy ***
even at unis such as LSE? the philosophy course only give out 14 offers... So one would have to die or something for me to get a place then? Oh well, I can always do PPE. It's not that bad.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ickle_katy)

love Katy ***

It is quite complicated though. You have to get the permission of the university and the faculty, which isn't usually a problem, but the college gas to find you a place and this is not always possible. If you happen to want to swap to a course which isn't full, for whatever reason (maybe someone missed their grades) it would probably be fairly easy, but only withing the first three weeks or so. Also, tutors interview you for a particular subject, so if you swap, the tutors in the new subject will not necessarily be happy because they haven't had a chance to interview you themselves. You can't usually swap to something totally unrelated, eg physics to English (my friend went through hell to swap and had to write three essays in a week to prove he could do the subject, as well as do a lot of begging to the college authorities), and colleges do not take kindly to people who apply for less competitive courses ande then try to swap to more popular ones, eg Classics to Law.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Linda)
even at unis such as LSE? the philosophy course only give out 14 offers... So one would have to die or something for me to get a place then? Oh well, I can always do PPE. It's not that bad.
At the more competitive universities (other than Cambridge because of the tripos system), changing courses is less common. PPE is an excellent course and you would definitely not have a problem getting onto a philosophy postgrad course if you had taken it.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (147)
27.68%
No (384)
72.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed