The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Toxic Tears
How did your friend do that? (I'm going to brum too this sept and will probs need a job). :smile:

She just looked on the net and applied to jobs in the area. Took the train up to Birmingham for the interview and got the job.
Fartlek
Nearly everyone is entitled to some level of grant. The Maintenance Grant, for example, is available to students whose household income is up to £60,005 pa (last year). Granted, that grant was only for £50 at that band of income, but I know nobody whose parents earn more than that.
And the £1000 figure was straight from DirectGov themselves and was stated as being determined as the average grant for ALL students starting full-time courses, not of those who were entitled to a grant.

I think thats incorrect, I never got a penny of grant and my Daddy definatly doesn't earn over £60,005... I wish!
Reply 62
It comes out of your student loan, meaning you'll pay less back. For example, as I get some HE Maintenance Grant as part of my student finance assessment, I cannot get the full Maintenance Loan.
Reply 63
TheQueenOfComputerScience
I think thats incorrect, I never got a penny of grant and my Daddy definatly doesn't earn over £60,005... I wish!

Also, as you are in your final year, you won't have been eligible for any of the finances I have mentioned, as you were on a completely different system.
Fartlek
Also, as you are in your final year, you won't have been eligible for any of the finances I have mentioned, as you were on a completely different system.

Oh I see yea i've finished now, I didn't realise they had changed things.
Reply 65
And for the actual topic, I found this on Aberystwyth's Careers Advisory Service.

75% of students at British universities work to support their studies (Futuretrack 2005).

Did you know? 75% of students at British universities work to support their studies (Futuretrack 2005).

According to a BBC news report, "More than half of students doing a full time degree work during term-time. On average they work 14 hours per week although one in five works more than 20 hours per week."
(BBC - 15th September 2007)

The financial costs for students are rising year on year and for many, it is absolutely essential to secure a part-time job in order to gain additional funds. Not only will a part-time job help you earn extra cash, it can also provide you with valuable work experience which will help you find graduate level opportunities. It will demonstrate to graduate recruiters that you are able to balance work with study commitments, in addition to helping you develop new skills.

http://careers.aber.ac.uk/cas_web/interface/view_content.php?structure_id=736
Are part time jobs actually possible though? I mean considering that we're only at university half the year I doubt you could get a permanent retail job in which 20 weeks holiday !
Reply 67
i didn't get a job first year and if you budget that's totally possible. i got the smallest loan amount and used some of my savings to cover th rent deficit and a bit of money my family had saved for me.

jobs were really hard to come by, and frankly i think katieloula sounds to have had a VERY different experience to me. very few people in first year had jobs, student loans were enough.

that said, i DEFINITELY need a job for second year as am now out of uni halls and rent is higher, and i would agree that a part-time job, IF you can get it, is a must 2nd year onwards.
Reply 68
I plan on getting a job, purely due to the fact that jobs are like goldust in the current economic climate. I read in the Times that 16hrs a week is the maximum time recommended if you should choose to get a part-time job. That seems pretty reasonable plus you get to broaden your social horizons as well.
Reply 69
im moving to liverpool from ireland, and if i did not have a part time job, the word 'screwed' will be imprinted on my forehead for the rest of the... month :confused:
i didnt have a job last year but got £250 a month off my parents if i didnt get this it would have been a case of get a job or starve.

This year ill hopefully have a job to pay my rent so can save my loan for my graduate degree
Reply 71
veggie4life
Are part time jobs actually possible though? I mean considering that we're only at university half the year I doubt you could get a permanent retail job in which 20 weeks holiday !

Well, I'm there for just over 8 months, so you might want to check that.

Also, while the students are in town, businesses are going to be busier, so wanting more staff. Preferably students; who will be leaving when it gets quieter (when all the students leave).
Reply 72
I've got a full time job over the summer to pay for uni starting sept. I'll try and find a job after a few months so i can settle in etc. I wouldn't start work straight away settle in first, make friends then find a job.
Reply 73
also if you get a job with a well establised company like argos, mcdonalds etc they can transfer you when you go home over the hols so you can be working all year round!

Latest

Trending

Trending