Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I used to love Enid Blyton books and had quite a collection of them. I was having a bit of a clear out today and I found a few of them including one titled "The Three Golliwogs". I read the first story and I definitely remember reading it as a child.

I've often heard the term "Golliwog" in relation to racism though, but I've never really known why. Why is this? How did it start? What is it's history and significance?

(please, remember that this could be a very sensitive topic)

Racist term for black person as far as i'm aware.

ReputationRep:
    Black person.

ReputationRep:
    A Wog is a Worthy Oriental Gentleman. Not as racist as made out to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monalisasmile.)
    I used to love Enid Blyton books and had quite a collection of them. I was having a bit of a clear out today and I found a few of them including one titled "The Three Golliwogs". I read the first story and I definitely remember reading it as a child.

I've often heard the term "Golliwog" in relation to racism though, but I've never really known why. Why is this? How did it start? What is it's history and significance?

It was originally the name of a black-faced doll character that features in a lot of kids books (Blyton's being some of them). It became a racist term due to that.

ReputationRep:
    So the Golliwog character wasn't originally intended to be racist? It was only afterwards that people started attaching it to slurs and it became derogatory?

ReputationRep:
    There was a "Golliwog doll", it's now seen to be a somewhat racist doll because it's seen to be taking the piss out of black people, even mentioning them can be a touchy subject, they have a lot of stigma attached to them.

However, I don't think it's that racist, I mean loads of people own white dolls, surely it's racist to say that there shouldn't be dolls of black people. And would a racist person buy a doll of a black person and keep it in their house? I think not.

ReputationRep:
    its what we call them lot from bongo bongo land

(Original post by Craig_D)
    It's worth mentioning that there was a "Golliwog doll", it's now seen to be a somewhat racist doll because it's taking the piss out of black people, even mentioning them can be a touchy subject.

However, I don't think it's that racist, I mean loads of people own white dolls, surely it's racist to say that there shouldn't be dolls of black people. And would a racist person buy a doll of a black person and keep it in their house? I think not.
    There are dolls of black people that don't look like that and no one is saying that there shouldn't be a doll for black people however what people object to is the comparison that was drawn from the golliwog doll to black people which is why people don't object to "normal" black dolls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monalisasmile.)

Yeah. The Golliwogs ganged up and nicked Noddy's car, too.

Nothing changes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleekchic)
    There are dolls of black people that don't look like that and no one is saying that there shouldn't be a doll for black people however what people object to is the comparison that was drawn from the golliwog doll to black people which is why people don't object to "normal" black dolls.
    I suppose they do look a bit ridiculous, but then there are white dolls that look equally silly. Am I right in thinking that they were one of the first types of black doll that were sold nationwide? I'm sure though that the racism have derived from the doll - like the racial slurs - because the doll was one of very few black symbols back when racism was really bad, rather than the doll being made to intentionally provoke ... or what I mean is, the doll became an inspiration for the racist people, which has led to to the doll being associated with racism and dragging the doll's reputation down.

Though I won't necessarily disagree with anyone that says the doll was intended to be racist from the outset, if that's their opinion.

ReputationRep:
    golliwog is a black puppet

with regard to debussy's work

ReputationRep:
    I used to collect these when I was a kid. You had to collect the labels from Golden Shred marmalade and send them off.

ReputationRep:
    I hear that the many BNP members sport them; perhaps that's why.

ReputationRep:
    Racist dolls I tell thee. RACIST!

ReputationRep:
    the golliwogs were institutionally racist in that they were black and were portayed as 'bad' in childrens' literature, ergo they are racist

the dolls themselves are negative characitures of black people, whereas 'white dolls' are universally accurate to the human form...and where not they are not playing upon a racist stereotype, again: golliwogs are thus racist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n0c0ntr0l)
    Racist dolls I tell thee. RACIST!
    Next time, try this approach:

squish.

ReputationRep:
    Wog is sort of racist here, but it's kind of lost meaning. Doesn't refer to black people though. I always just knew golliwogs as black dolls.. then someone complained, they banned episodes of noddy etc.

for fear of this getting off topic and potentially racist remarks appearing I'm closing this thread as i believe the question has been answered.

if not OP please send me a PM and I'll re-open it.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.