Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Trying to get over ex girlfriend. Watch

My girlfriend broke up with me about 4 weeks ago and I'm struggling to stop thinking of her. I have nothing to distract myself from the thoughts of her. She meant the absolute world to me and now she has gone from my life.

A few words of advice from anyone would be appreciated. I can't seem to stop thinking of her, no matter how much I try

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My girlfriend broke up with me about 4 weeks ago and I'm struggling to stop thinking of her. I have nothing to distract myself from the thoughts of her. She meant the absolute world to me and now she has gone from my life.

A few words of advice from anyone would be appreciated. I can't seem to stop thinking of her, no matter how much I try
    Random question, but where do you live? (town)

ReputationRep:
    - Watch TV comedies non stop
    - Eat ice cream
    - Develop a new crush (this works best of all, as soon as you get a new crush the others go out the window, trust me)

(Original post by lalala_91)
    Random question, but where do you live? (town)
    Near Manchester, why?

ReputationRep:
    lalala_91 : I AM YOUR EX!
    would be a good development to this thread...

You recognise the fact that she is gone from your life, that is a good start

(Original post by Chrrye)
    lalala_91 : I AM YOUR EX!
    would be a good development to this thread...

You recognise the fact that she is gone from your life, that is a good start
    Haha, I am sad to disappoint you but no, lalala is not my ex.

My ex isn't gone from my life, she's also happens to be one of my best friends, so I speak to her and see her very often. Which makes it harder.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I am sad to disappoint you but no, lalala is not my ex.

My ex isn't gone from my life, she's also happens to be one of my best friends, so I speak to her and see her very often. Which makes it harder.
    Course it does.

ReputationRep:
    I struggled with this; the best thing for you is to push her away completely, reevaluate your life without her in it, rebuild and move on. If you stabilise after, you can try and be mates again perhaps, but anything instantly too close (going from relationship to best mates) is just going to make things tougher for you, as no doubt you're experiencing.

(Original post by Sovvy)
    I struggled with this; the best thing for you is to push her away completely, reevaluate your life without her in it, rebuild and move on. If you stabilise after, you can try and be mates again perhaps, but anything instantly too close (going from relationship to best mates) is just going to make things tougher for you, as no doubt you're experiencing.
    I am indeed experiencing that, but she's been not only my girlfriend but my best friend for the past 18 months. So it makes it harder to let go completely.

Thanks for the advice though, I'll try and cut her off completely for a while and see if that works.

ReputationRep:
    I am indeed experiencing that, but she's been not only my girlfriend but my best friend for the past 18 months. So it makes it harder to let go completely.

Thanks for the advice though, I'll try and cut her off completely for a while and see if that works.
    Aye, its tough, my ex was everything to me for 2 years, and then I had her ripped off me quite suddenly. It was a tough situation to recover from, but it *is* recoverable. Its always hard to let go, and I know its cliche, but there *are* plenty of other people out there. You might dismiss that now but you won't in the future.. whether its a couple of weeks, months, or longer.

Time, as they say, is a great healer.

ReputationRep:
    Sh*g her best mate?

ReputationRep:
    In return for my neg rep, op, here is my real advice:

If you're asking TSR for help in getting over her, get a life. Stop making your life into a drama, it's not that special. If you're going to tell anyone, tell her and sort that out yourself (if you're such good friends). It's nobody else's business and telling the world just makes you look like a narcissistic ****.

Good luck. You may need it.

(Original post by amiparanoid)
    In return for my neg rep, op, here is my real advice:

If you're asking TSR for help in getting over her, get a life. Stop making your life into a drama, it's not that special. If you're going to tell anyone, tell her and sort that out yourself (if you're such good friends). It's nobody else's business and telling the world just makes you look like a narcissistic ****.

Good luck. You may need it.
    It's useless asking someone like you for advice on a situation like this, as clearly you have never been liked (and if you act like this with other people then this will probably remain a constant throughout your life).

I've spoke to her about all this, but sometimes it's good to get an outsider's perspective.

Anyway, I was asking the non-f*ckwits for advice, so obviously you're not welcome in this thread.

Good luck. You will need it.

ReputationRep:
    It's useless asking someone like you for advice on a situation like this, as clearly you have never been liked (and if you act like this with other people then this will probably remain a constant throughout your life).
    You shouldn't make such assumptions, especially in your position. You were the one positing on this thread for advice; sadly for you, I do know what i'm talking about. And your assumption is very, very wrong.

I've spoke to her about all this, but sometimes it's good to get an outsider's perspective.
    Which I have given you, stop complaining.

Anyway, I was asking the non-f*ckwits for advice, so obviously you're not welcome in this thread.
    It's ironic on four counts; firstly, you got yourself into this position. Second, you asked for my advice by posting on TSR. Third, I know what i'm talking about. Fourth, you had a problem with my attitude?

ReputationRep:
    A motorbike?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    - Watch TV comedies non stop
    - Eat ice cream
    I don't care what anyone else thinks. This is the best piece of advice I've seen on H&R in my four years of membership.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    I don't care what anyone else thinks. This is the best piece of advice I've seen on H&R in my four years of membership.
    Thank you! :yes: Unfortunately it seems the OP didn't agree all that much ... I find it works though.

+ Rep for you :awesome:

ReputationRep:

No, not your girlfriend... mine now :woo: :eek3: :yep:

ReputationRep:
    If you keep seeing her everyday, it must be hard for you. You couldn't get over her if she you don't know precisely the reason why she broke up with you. Did you guys talk about that ?
    Even if it's kinda hard, the best thing to do is hang out with different people, see her less often.

ReputationRep:
    Stop seeing her at all. This is a must. Go out with your friends, start enjoying single life, and in a short while you'll forget all about her.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.