Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have an assignment as a prerequisite to chemistry next year. it's really vague, but according to the instructions there could potentially be several answers so whatever you can think of is helpful...

question-

Pick the element that best fits the example... poison used in a famous stage play: _______

this is so painfully vague i might have to verbally beat down my teacher the first day of school.

ReputationRep:
    I believe Arsenic has been used in several plays, like in the famous play "Arsenic And Old Lace", made into a Cary Grant film. I think this is the most obvious answer.

Keep Cyanide in mind too, though (obviously not an element in itself though). I would have suggested Romeo and Juliet as the play - or Hamlet - however the poison used is not revealed in either, so it can't be those.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenic_and_Old_Lace_(play)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    I believe Arsenic has been used in several plays.

Keep Cyanide in mind too, though (obviously not an element in itself though). I would suggest Romeo and Juliet as the play - or Hamlet - however the poison used is not revealed in either.
    Should probably note here that Cyanide is not an element: therefore it's probably Arsenic. That being said, I wouldn't get quite that irate about a Chemistry test...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amiparanoid)
    Should probably note here that Cyanide is not an element: therefore it's probably Arsenic. That being said, I wouldn't get quite that irate about a Chemistry test...
    But I did say in brackets it's not an element :p:

ReputationRep:
    But I did say in brackets it's not an element :p:
    fair enough, i can't read.

It does, though, beg the question of why you put it :p:

ReputationRep:
    fair enough, i can't read.

It does, though, beg the question of why you put it :p:
    It's a famous poison? :unsure:

The element bit was my reasoning for picking Arsenic as the most likely one option too ... so I must ask that same question of myself. In all fairness, I don't know ... It was half 5 in the morning? :p:

ReputationRep:
    It's a famous poison? :unsure:

The element bit was my reasoning for picking Arsenic as the most likely one option too ... so I must ask that same question of myself. In all fairness, I don't know ... It was half 5 in the morning? :p:
    You've got a good point; I haven't a clue why i'm up this time myself.

I think it's contributing to my blunt questioning of everything :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You've got a good point; I haven't a clue why i'm up this time myself.

I think it's contributing to my blunt questioning of everything :rolleyes:
    Indeed, I could (and should) have gone to bed 6 hours ago ... but I didn't. I have watched the sun rise a hundred times ... and I have no idea why, there wasn't a point to it, I haven't learned anything. Though I do have one question:

Where do all these friggin birds go during the day?

There is an incessant tweeting/squawking noise at this time, and they keep landing outside my window and on the roof. That never happens during the day.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, I could (and should) have gone to bed 6 hours ago ... but I didn't. I have watched the sun rise a hundred times ... and I have no idea why, there wasn't a point to it, I haven't learned anything. Though I do have one question:

Where do all these friggin birds go during the day?
    By the sounds of it right now, over my house :p:

ReputationRep:
    By the sounds of it right now, over my house :p:
    I edited my post :p: Exactly, at 6am they are everywhere out there ... just wondering where on earth they are in the mid-afternoon ... I rarely hear any, unless I look for them ...

Yes, I have taken the topic in a bizarre and uninteresting direction ...

ReputationRep:
    I edited my post :p: Exactly, at 6am they are everywhere out there ... just wondering where on earth they are in the mid-afternoon ... I rarely hear any, unless I look for them ...

Yes, I have taken the topic in a bizarre and uninteresting direction ...
    lol. I think this marks the point at which I should get some sleep

ReputationRep:
    Arsenic would be a good answer, and probably the best one. There's also a play that I recall seeing where Mercury was used, but I don't recall the name.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elements-Mur.../dp/0192806009.
    Good book, he talks about mercury, arsenic, antimony, lead, and thallium. But for the stage play question, again I'd go with arsenic.

ReputationRep:
    Polonium-210
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Lead bullets

Steel knives (mostly iron)

Iron bars...

- just choose your play... all rather quick acting 'poisons'!

ReputationRep:
    Selenium...it kills aliens in a critically appraised piece of visual art.

ReputationRep:
    Poison used in Romeo and Juliet - Hemlock perhaps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robbo3045)
    Poison used in Romeo and Juliet - Hemlock perhaps.
    Not an element :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    Not an element :p:
    This thread confuses me. Im no chem boy :shy2:

ReputationRep:
    Antimony - It's a metal, but has a sulphide as well, and has the same effects as arsenic poisoning. It's also used in pewter, and small arms, including shot.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.