Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have an assignment as a prerequisite to chemistry next year. it's really vague, but according to the instructions there could potentially be several answers so whatever you can think of is helpful...

question-

Pick the element that best fits the example... poison used in a famous stage play: _______

this is so painfully vague i might have to verbally beat down my teacher the first day of school.

ReputationRep:
    I believe Arsenic has been used in several plays, like in the famous play "Arsenic And Old Lace", made into a Cary Grant film. I think this is the most obvious answer.

Keep Cyanide in mind too, though (obviously not an element in itself though). I would have suggested Romeo and Juliet as the play - or Hamlet - however the poison used is not revealed in either, so it can't be those.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenic_and_Old_Lace_(play)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    I believe Arsenic has been used in several plays.

Keep Cyanide in mind too, though (obviously not an element in itself though). I would suggest Romeo and Juliet as the play - or Hamlet - however the poison used is not revealed in either.
    Should probably note here that Cyanide is not an element: therefore it's probably Arsenic. That being said, I wouldn't get quite that irate about a Chemistry test...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amiparanoid)
    Should probably note here that Cyanide is not an element: therefore it's probably Arsenic. That being said, I wouldn't get quite that irate about a Chemistry test...
    But I did say in brackets it's not an element :p:

ReputationRep:
    But I did say in brackets it's not an element :p:
    fair enough, i can't read.

It does, though, beg the question of why you put it :p:

ReputationRep:
    fair enough, i can't read.

It does, though, beg the question of why you put it :p:
    It's a famous poison? :unsure:

The element bit was my reasoning for picking Arsenic as the most likely one option too ... so I must ask that same question of myself. In all fairness, I don't know ... It was half 5 in the morning? :p:

ReputationRep:
    It's a famous poison? :unsure:

The element bit was my reasoning for picking Arsenic as the most likely one option too ... so I must ask that same question of myself. In all fairness, I don't know ... It was half 5 in the morning? :p:
    You've got a good point; I haven't a clue why i'm up this time myself.

I think it's contributing to my blunt questioning of everything :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You've got a good point; I haven't a clue why i'm up this time myself.

I think it's contributing to my blunt questioning of everything :rolleyes:
    Indeed, I could (and should) have gone to bed 6 hours ago ... but I didn't. I have watched the sun rise a hundred times ... and I have no idea why, there wasn't a point to it, I haven't learned anything. Though I do have one question:

Where do all these friggin birds go during the day?

There is an incessant tweeting/squawking noise at this time, and they keep landing outside my window and on the roof. That never happens during the day.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, I could (and should) have gone to bed 6 hours ago ... but I didn't. I have watched the sun rise a hundred times ... and I have no idea why, there wasn't a point to it, I haven't learned anything. Though I do have one question:

Where do all these friggin birds go during the day?
    By the sounds of it right now, over my house :p:

ReputationRep:
    By the sounds of it right now, over my house :p:
    I edited my post :p: Exactly, at 6am they are everywhere out there ... just wondering where on earth they are in the mid-afternoon ... I rarely hear any, unless I look for them ...

Yes, I have taken the topic in a bizarre and uninteresting direction ...

ReputationRep:
    I edited my post :p: Exactly, at 6am they are everywhere out there ... just wondering where on earth they are in the mid-afternoon ... I rarely hear any, unless I look for them ...

Yes, I have taken the topic in a bizarre and uninteresting direction ...
    lol. I think this marks the point at which I should get some sleep

ReputationRep:
    Arsenic would be a good answer, and probably the best one. There's also a play that I recall seeing where Mercury was used, but I don't recall the name.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elements-Mur.../dp/0192806009.
    Good book, he talks about mercury, arsenic, antimony, lead, and thallium. But for the stage play question, again I'd go with arsenic.

Polonium-210
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Lead bullets

Steel knives (mostly iron)

Iron bars...

- just choose your play... all rather quick acting 'poisons'!

ReputationRep:
    Selenium...it kills aliens in a critically appraised piece of visual art.

ReputationRep:
    Poison used in Romeo and Juliet - Hemlock perhaps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robbo3045)
    Poison used in Romeo and Juliet - Hemlock perhaps.
    Not an element :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    Not an element :p:
    This thread confuses me. Im no chem boy :shy2:

ReputationRep:
    Antimony - It's a metal, but has a sulphide as well, and has the same effects as arsenic poisoning. It's also used in pewter, and small arms, including shot.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 30, 2009

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.