The Student Room Group

Poison from Famous Stage Play?

I have an assignment as a prerequisite to chemistry next year. it's really vague, but according to the instructions there could potentially be several answers so whatever you can think of is helpful...

question-

Pick the element that best fits the example... poison used in a famous stage play: _______

this is so painfully vague i might have to verbally beat down my teacher the first day of school.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I believe Arsenic has been used in several plays, like in the famous play "Arsenic And Old Lace", made into a Cary Grant film. I think this is the most obvious answer.

Keep Cyanide in mind too, though (obviously not an element in itself though). I would have suggested Romeo and Juliet as the play - or Hamlet - however the poison used is not revealed in either, so it can't be those.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenic_and_Old_Lace_(play)
Craig_D
I believe Arsenic has been used in several plays.

Keep Cyanide in mind too, though (obviously not an element in itself though). I would suggest Romeo and Juliet as the play - or Hamlet - however the poison used is not revealed in either.

Should probably note here that Cyanide is not an element: therefore it's probably Arsenic. That being said, I wouldn't get quite that irate about a Chemistry test...
Reply 3
amiparanoid
Should probably note here that Cyanide is not an element: therefore it's probably Arsenic. That being said, I wouldn't get quite that irate about a Chemistry test...

But I did say in brackets it's not an element :p:
Craig_D
But I did say in brackets it's not an element :p:

fair enough, i can't read.

It does, though, beg the question of why you put it :p:
Reply 5
amiparanoid
fair enough, i can't read.

It does, though, beg the question of why you put it :p:

It's a famous poison? :unsure:

The element bit was my reasoning for picking Arsenic as the most likely one option too ... so I must ask that same question of myself. In all fairness, I don't know ... It was half 5 in the morning? :p:
Craig_D
It's a famous poison? :unsure:

The element bit was my reasoning for picking Arsenic as the most likely one option too ... so I must ask that same question of myself. In all fairness, I don't know ... It was half 5 in the morning? :p:

You've got a good point; I haven't a clue why i'm up this time myself.

I think it's contributing to my blunt questioning of everything :rolleyes:
Reply 7
amiparanoid
You've got a good point; I haven't a clue why i'm up this time myself.

I think it's contributing to my blunt questioning of everything :rolleyes:

Indeed, I could (and should) have gone to bed 6 hours ago ... but I didn't. I have watched the sun rise a hundred times ... and I have no idea why, there wasn't a point to it, I haven't learned anything. Though I do have one question:

Where do all these friggin birds go during the day?

There is an incessant tweeting/squawking noise at this time, and they keep landing outside my window and on the roof. That never happens during the day.
Craig_D
Indeed, I could (and should) have gone to bed 6 hours ago ... but I didn't. I have watched the sun rise a hundred times ... and I have no idea why, there wasn't a point to it, I haven't learned anything. Though I do have one question:

Where do all these friggin birds go during the day?

By the sounds of it right now, over my house :p:
Reply 9
amiparanoid
By the sounds of it right now, over my house :p:

I edited my post :p: Exactly, at 6am they are everywhere out there ... just wondering where on earth they are in the mid-afternoon ... I rarely hear any, unless I look for them ...

Yes, I have taken the topic in a bizarre and uninteresting direction ...
Craig_D
I edited my post :p: Exactly, at 6am they are everywhere out there ... just wondering where on earth they are in the mid-afternoon ... I rarely hear any, unless I look for them ...

Yes, I have taken the topic in a bizarre and uninteresting direction ...

lol. I think this marks the point at which I should get some sleep :biggrin:
Arsenic would be a good answer, and probably the best one. There's also a play that I recall seeing where Mercury was used, but I don't recall the name.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elements-Murder-History-Poison/dp/0192806009.
Good book, he talks about mercury, arsenic, antimony, lead, and thallium. But for the stage play question, again I'd go with arsenic.
Polonium-210
Lead bullets

Steel knives (mostly iron)

Iron bars...

- just choose your play... all rather quick acting 'poisons'!
Reply 15
Selenium...it kills aliens in a critically appraised piece of visual art. :biggrin:
Poison used in Romeo and Juliet - Hemlock perhaps.
robbo3045
Poison used in Romeo and Juliet - Hemlock perhaps.

Not an element :p:
Revd. Mike
Not an element :p:

:frown: This thread confuses me. Im no chem boy :shy2:
Reply 19
Antimony - It's a metal, but has a sulphide as well, and has the same effects as arsenic poisoning. It's also used in pewter, and small arms, including shot.

Latest