Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi all i am looking for a bit of help.

i am 29 and i am looking at stating uni this year, the reason for applying so late on is that i have just been made redundent from work and have decided to turn my hobbies in to job prospects by studying sports leadership.

i spoke to the course tutor about my qualifacations and life expearience and he told me he is happy for me to take the course, he allso told me he would have the admissions team contact me. after waiting a few days i contacted them myself and explained to the admission team the conversation i had with the course admissions tutor and they said they would send me out a letter (can't remember what the letter/form was) its been 2 weeks now and still no letter.

is this normal or should i be chasing them?

i have a cleaaring number now from ucas do i need to tell them or leave it as i havn't applied through ucas.

allso any advice on finance and benifits for married student couple with 3 kids would be great to as nobody seems to know what you can claim ect.

and should i apply for my student finance now or wait till i have the application form/ letter from the uni?

thanks alll for your help in advance

ReputationRep:
    I would chase them if I were you - it's July! And apply for student finance NOW!!! It can take up to six weeks for your finance to be processed. There is means tested and non means tested, the latter taking a bit longer to sort out - they can provisionally get the non means tested sorted out first so that it is in time for your course, and carry on processing the means tested part of it, to at least try to get your tuition fees done before the start of the course.
    You know two weeks ago this was all jargon to me so if I've lost you just say!

Easiest to apply online, have a look here if you haven't already, there is a link to register and apply too.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...time/DG_171523

I've been having a right fiasco as a mature student, very long story and almost slapstick. It's that bad that if I don't hear anything by the end of next week I'm giving up. Very frustrating.
    How old are your children- will you be needing a nursery place? I was advised by HMRC that I have a choice of either the Childcare Grant via Student Finance, or the Working Tax Credits element of Tax Credits via HMRC to help with nursery fees, but encouraged to apply for the Childcare Grant as it is usually more generous. HMRC gave me a rough estimate of £73 towards childcare fees, you could ask them for a rough quote if you need it.
    Is the letter you have been waiting for a form to use as clearing has started? If so I could email you a copy, or ask admissions to email it to you it's quicker.

ReputationRep:
    hi bobcat thanks for your reply.
    my kids ar 18 months, 3 and 6 my wife will be taking the youngest to the crech at her collage while she finishes her access course and the other to are at scholl and nursery.
    up untill 2 weeks ago i was happy plodding away in full time work till redundency.
    i have got uclan sorted now they hadn't done a thing it was on someones todo list but i have my unconditional place now so thats eased my mind slightly now.

the finance package and benifits are a nightmere to sort out and the figures they give don't work out either, they say we would get over £2000 a month with student loans, grants, housing benifit, child tax credit, child benifit ect this can not be right it seems to be a lot of money for a couple at college and uni full time with 3 kids and no jobs?

started to fill the form in to today ill have them all done nd ready to submitt on monday.

ReputationRep:
    Can't really say whether that does or doesn't seem a lot, but it adds up doesn't it- would be great if you do get that!
    Glad to hear your forms and UCLan are sorted too, hopefully you don't have to wait too long.
    I seem to have come to a bit of a standstill, have baby in nursery for his 'induction' days soon, but still don't have a timetable for my course so don't actually know how much I'll be paying for nursery. Still no confirmation that I'm actually on the course yet! My original app was through UCAS but then ended up applying direct; my app form was lost in the post... or something. Sent another last week. Haven't yet filled in my Childcare Grant form, the nursery were unwilling to do it until he'd started, til I explained that it needed sending asap. Student Finance Direct wanted my partner to support my application but insisted he find his 11 digit customer reference number and password (from years ago!) to be able to login and do this online- we had a week where every time we rang up their computers were down/they couldn't understand what we were trying to ask. Finally we got through to someone useful and helpful but we now have to do it by post due to a glitch in the system.
    Aargh.
    Keep us posted, would love hear your progress with it all!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.