Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Just completed Chemical Engineering with a 2:1. Beng

I had failed to secure relevant internships over the last 3 years.

I am off to Imperial to do my MSc, so i am gonna work super hard to get a 1st this year. Also, i been practicing these verbal reasoning and numerical tests from what ever sources i can find. I think i am getting very good results with numerical (75 +) and average with verbal reasoning (65+).

What bothers me most is that i have failed to secure internships.

Do i stand a chance of breaking into finance - I am interested in commodity trading.

ReputationRep:
    Tanaka business school at Imperial? What work experience do you have? You can always take an internship after your MSc. It's never to late to intern unless you are over say 30 or something. Look past internships in London as well.

ReputationRep:
    My Msc is in Chemical engineering. I did enquire with the relevant people, and they said about the quarter of Chemical engineering Msc grads from Imperial go to finance. And as Imperial >> UCL, i switched. I am hoping that it will put me at a better situation.

Ok, ive been doing something 'useful' every summer - just not relevant.

This summer, i am doing 2 wk charity work with some fisherman community.

Last december, i worked at Battersea Arena as a christmas party staff.

Last summer, worked for an engineering firm (civil engineering). Only excel work.

Previous summer, i worked for Sharp Corporation Japan as a mobile phone tester.

Before that i worked a year in Focus DIY.

Prior to that, i volunteered at a charity.

My only kind of knowledge in finance, is from people i talk to about and i keep myself relatively up-to-date with the news.

I am really hoping for a grad position, and i am 22. 23 by the time i finish my Msc. Do i have any chance ?

ReputationRep:
    22/23 is nothing. People go into banking alot older than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElemenT')
    22/23 is nothing. People go into banking alot older than that.
    Someone from my courses at a non-target uni is going into IBD at 25. You've got time.

ReputationRep:
    The age is not the biggest issue. Its the fact that i have no relevant work experience. Ideally, i would like to join the team as graduate full-time member. My question is, will they even consider me due to absolutely nil work experience?

ReputationRep:
    It would be very hard to get in as a graduate.Try to get some temporary contract, and if you excel, it's likely that they will offer you a long-term position.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the reply.

I have an offer at Imperial (for an Msc), which i have accepted. Suppose i decide to stay at UCL and continue my M-eng, I can apply for a summer internship. This might get me a permanent spot after i complete my internship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by levin)
    Thank you for the reply.

I have an offer at Imperial (for an Msc), which i have accepted. Suppose i decide to stay at UCL and continue my M-eng, I can apply for a summer internship. This might get me a permanent spot after i complete my internship.
    Nothing stopping you either route.

ReputationRep:
    you result as long as its better than 2:1 is ok to apply IB
    I got 2:2 in year1 and 2:1 in year2. properly will get 2:1 or 1st when I finish my BEng.

but I have already got an offer from UBS, so it only depends on the performance when you do your interview. And just work on how to write a good essay for the open questions(i.e. why ibank), and you should be able to do the online test with 90%+ result. Otherwise, you will get very small chance to even get a interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by franklee006)
    I got 2:2 in year1 and 2:1 in year2. properly will get 2:1 or 1st when I finish my BEng.

but I have already got an offer from UBS, so it only depends on the performance when you do your interview. And just work on how to write a good essay for the open questions(i.e. why ibank), and you should be able to do the online test with 90%+ result. Otherwise, you will get very small chance to even get a interview.
    You speako da English?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neville 'Facking' Bartos)
    You speako da English?
    sorry is not my first language, thanks for pointing it out
    but i just try to share my experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by franklee006)

first of all, no offence, which division will you be working at? OP is specifically referring to Trading.
    second of all, as long as you pass the online tests, it doesn't really matter you get 100% or not. your CV and your competency questions are the ones that make you stand out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10Scientist)
    first of all, no offence, which division will you be working at? OP is specifically referring to Trading.
    second of all, as long as you pass the online tests, it doesn't really matter you get 100% or not. your CV and your competency questions are the ones that make you stand out.
    The banks could fill their quota taking only people who score 100% on those numerical tests. They're so easy that if you're not scoring close to 100% with ease, and you're considering a career in trading, you should probably take a step back and re-think your plans.

The OP mentioned commod trading. I suggest that he applies to Trafigura et al. He'd stand an infinitely better chance.

That's my opinion anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10Scientist)
    yes what I meant for open question is competency questions. Competency questions is almost the key to get a chance for interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The IC Guy)
    The banks could fill their quota taking only people who score 100% on those numerical tests. They're so easy that if you're not scoring close to 100% with ease, and you're considering a career in trading, you should probably take a step back and re-think your plans.

The OP mentioned commod trading. I suggest that he applies to Trafigura et al. He'd stand an infinitely better chance.

That's my opinion anyway.
    Although I am pretty sure I nailed all numerical and logical tests, I only have around 80% on verbal reasoning but that doesn't stop me from getting interviews with 6 banks (5 BBs + HSBC).
    I just don't think people should be over-obsessed with online tests. I have friends who suck at them (definitely below '90%+' in all tests) and they comfortably landed first rounds.
    But it is only for sell-side trading, could be an entirely different story about the buyside

For me, I would spend more time attending networking events, try to build up contacts, read FT daily, read up some books to learn basics of (commodities) trading, derivatives (options/futures), get more involved with finance society stuff and prepare for competency-based interviews instead of trying to score 100% in the online tests.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.