Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I was wondering if someone could tell me the procedure for changing to a different room from the one you were offered. Is this even possible? Would I have to wait until I arrived at the campus to attempt to make a move?

I'm concerned because I was offered a smoking flat, when I don't smoke and I'm afraid I might really dislike the living situation since I'm so used to a smoke free environment. I'm an international postgrad so I thought it would be easiest to live in the campus housing. Now I wish I could find a smoke-free flat that was privately owned, but I won't get to Birmingham until the welcome week and that doesn't seem like enough time to find my own place and settle before the start of my course.

If anyone had any suggestions for me for what to do... could you let me know?

ReputationRep:
    Speak to the Uni, tell them your concerns. I'm surprised they still allow it really, smoking in accommodation that is, I know it was banned in all accommodation with my Uni when the smoking indoors ban legislation came into effect.

ReputationRep:
    Redefined has a good point actually. Under new laws, all flats should be non-smoking as smoking indoors in public/shared accomodation is banned.

ReputationRep:
    damn you get a smoking flat and *****ing about it while over here I'll have to stand in the pissing wet and cold

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gjaykay)
    damn you get a smoking flat and *****ing about it while over here I'll have to stand in the pissing wet and cold
    It will take me $1,000 and a good 10-11 hour flight minimum to and from Birmingham to search for housing...
    how much and how long will it take you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancchica530)
    It will take me $1,000 and a good 10-11 hour flight minimum to and from Birmingham to search for housing...
    how much and how long will it take you?
    ....send away a letter.....
    touche :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil Piranha)
    Redefined has a good point actually. Under new laws, all flats should be non-smoking as smoking indoors in public/shared accomodation is banned.
    That's a good point. And probably why I didn't give it much consideration until I saw it in my offer...

ReputationRep:
    Well,

it was a bit easier than I expected. I was about to make a call when housing responded to my email... and with a few clicks they gave me a non-smoking flat.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.