The Student Room Group

Dissertation Weighting

Hi, I am new here, but I have been reading the forums for a while.

I don't want this to be one of those posts which is asked over and over again and no one has any real answers, so I'm sorry if it is!

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of the weight of an undergraduate dissertation in their final degree mark? I'm sure it varies between departments and universities. I am doing my dissertation in History and I am joint honours.

My degree is split into 240 credits and the dissertation is worth 40 credits, but what I am wondering is if I am borderline a first/ 2:1, and my dissertation is a 2:1 or 2:2... is that likely to mean I will get a 2:1 rather than a first, even if most of my other modules have been of a first standard?!
Reply 1
At my uni our dissertation is 1/12 of our final grade along with the 11 highest modules from years 2 and 3.
Reply 2
I wish my dissertation could have the same weighting! 1/6 isn't going to do me any favours! I am currently researching it, and it is not going well!
Reply 3
Usually dissertations have the pwer to move you up or down a grade. In geology mine was a third of the final year mark hence becomes very important in determining an overall average.

That said I wouldn't worry to much about it. Dissertations are person and as long as you feel and have put the time into it you will do fine.
Reply 4
Emzallan
My degree is split into 240 credits and the dissertation is worth 40 credits, but what I am wondering is if I am borderline a first/ 2:1, and my dissertation is a 2:1 or 2:2... is that likely to mean I will get a 2:1 rather than a first, even if most of my other modules have been of a first standard?!

It varies between faculties, so there's no universal answer to that question. Check your course handbook and if the relevant information isn't in there, ask one of the faculty admin staff (don't bother asking tutors; most of them haven't got a clue about this sort of thing).
At my university, the Honours stage of the degree is worth 240 credits - 120 credits per year. The dissertation module can only be taken as a single module that is worth twenty credits. This works out at 1 / 12 of the degree. For anyone who has achieved a mark of between 67 - 69%, the Board of Examiners review the case. In order to be promoted in to the higher degree class, it is usually necessary to have at least half of the marks at first class level (in this case). However, the policy will vary between universities.

Latest

Trending

Trending