Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Mods, I have no idea where this should go. Please move it if there's somewhere better for it.

Last night in Vienna there was a huuuuge huge storm. It came completely without warning, and I was at a friend's and I had left my windows open since it was a beautifully sunny day and my room would be too hot. I arrived back half expecting my windows to be broken, but they aren't - however, on the wall below and to the right of one window, there is a large and obvious water stain that seems to be slightly orange too.

I've tried googling it, but all that's telling me is how to remove mildew stains, and this is not a mildew stain. What all such sites agree on, however, is that painting over it WILL NOT WORK.

Does anyone have any idea what to do about it??? This isn't my room, I'm subletting it for the summer. I need this stain gone.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe if you wet every other part of the wall they won't notice?

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who might be able to help you out with this:

(Original post by StarbucK)
    I think you will have to seal the damp part and then you can paint over it, but I'm not sure.
    The websites you're referring to that say you can't paint over it are possibly referring to damp that is continuous, rather than your one-off damp case.

ReputationRep:
    By the sound of it, the rain's just washed off some of the paint (the orange will be the plaster) maybe? Dry it out with a hair dryer? Then paint over it. IDK. I don't DIY often.

ReputationRep:
    Move a desk below the window and cover it. Then explain it away by saying, "Yeh that way you get a nice view when you're studying and plenty of light!"

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.