Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If you put a key in and turn it halfway, does this start the ignition. Then when you turn it fully the engine is turned on, is this right. I need to know because I dont understand this answer:

Show me how you would check that the brake lights are working on this car. (you may need to switch ignition on, but don't start the engine)

ReputationRep:
    You can turn a key in the ignition (I think it's) twice before you start the engine. So you turn the key once, it'll turn on your lights and hazards and various other things. Turn it again, and it'll switch on windows and air con and other such things. Turn it again and it'll start the car.

So you only need to put the key in and turn it once or twice.

ReputationRep:
    Turning it half way, so the lights are on on the dashboard, will turn the ignition on. Don't turn it as far as to start the engine.

Different cars have a different number of positions on the ignition switch, you'll need to work out which one you need to go to, but if it is in the position it would be in when the cars engine is running (after you've started it) the brake lights should work.

On almost all cars, they are wired so that the brake lights only work when you have the key turned in the ignition. If you just press the brake pedal without the ignition being turned on, the brake lights won't work. Same goes for headlights, indicators etc, most cars have headlights which turn off automatically when you turn the ignition off.

ReputationRep:
    Usually three positions (eta- ignoring "OFF" that is):
    1st - turns on the auxillary electrics (lights/brakes/stereo/windows)
    2nd - ON - warning lights come on, ignition is now on
    3rd - starter motor

ReputationRep:
    ...and now a picture for the hard of thinking.....

Hope this helps
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    is this for real? you don't know how to turn on just the ignition?

do you know how to check whether your brake lights are working too, or is that the next question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)
    is this for real? you don't know how to turn on just the ignition?

do you know how to check whether your brake lights are working too, or is that the next question?
    bit harsh, If I said to my mum to turn on the ignition, she'd probably start the car :laugh: (In gear no doubt, backing into the house. bless her:laugh:)

ReputationRep:
    There isn't a "half way" as such.
    Most modern ignition switches have a four position switch.

0 - or off
    1 - accessory circuit becomes live - i.e radio etc
    2 - LT ignition circuit goes live. The coil is on and energised. You should never leave the ignition switch in this position for longer than 30 secconds if the engine is off. You risk burning out your coil if you do so.
    3 - Starter motor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    You should never leave the ignition switch in this position for longer than 30 secconds if the engine is off. You risk burning out your coil if you do so.
    i always knew there was a reason for not doing that, at college my mate used to leave his ignition on during lunch (eating in the cars!) and i kept telling him not to but didnt know what to say when he asked why!

it was a brand new Polo but didnt seem to affect it at all.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.