Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I am seriously considering taking the IB next year, (depending on my French result and this topic). I am OK at science, but don't want to do Chemistry or Physics.

The college then said that it also runs environmental systems and that I should consider taking that.

What is it like? What are your experiences with it?

Thanks,
    Sophie

ReputationRep:
    I haven't taken it, but it seems to be a mixture of geography, geology and biology (ecology). I've heard it is "rather" easy, compared to the other sciences, but I may be wrong.

try googling 'environmental systems IB'?

ReputationRep:
    Download the syllabus here... http://www.freeexampapers.com/FreeEx...N5c3RlbXMucGRm
    ...and have a look.

I had a quick glance and to me, it looks like an extremely detailed subject into ecology, evolution + ecosystems... Something we barely touch on in biology (only 1 topic in SL or HL).

On first thought it seems something that would go well with geography or something along those lines. People told me its a mix of all the sciences, but it really isn't. Its an indepth analysis of ecology and things along those lines.

I personally, would be very hestitant in choosing it as my science. The main reason being, as im not sure how much universities would approve of it...

Acctually, I wouldn't do it if you paid me too, mainly as one chapter of ecology is already too much for me.

ReputationRep:
    That seems much more my thing than chemistry, physics and biology, seeing as I am not planning on taking them at A Level (if I did it) and don't want to do anything science related at uni. Think i'll be doing IB then .

ReputationRep:
    I heard it's extremely easy and it's possible to finish all the topics in 1 year. Wish our school offered it, Physics is torture!

ReputationRep:
    It's interesting.
    We got criticised alot for doing it in college, mainly because we "shouldnt complain about it because it wasn't proper science.
    If you are going to do it, I'd suggest revising it as you go along, which is something I didn't do because I assumed it was straightforward enough to grasp.. but trust me, it's an awful lot to cram together come proper study time.
    If you enjoy geography then do it.

PM me for some revision notes.. i think ive still got them somewhere!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah,,, I also heard it's a study of ecology and all that. I think it can be well suited as science if you are not thinking about science in your university.

Would any of you recommend me to taking it if I want to work in an environmental field? I wouldn't be taking it as my science but for humanities. For sciences I'll be takin Bio and Phys at HL. Or maybe I'll be taking chem and bio at HL, not really sure yet, but VERY confused
    Anyway... or would you recommend me to take geo instead of EVS?? ....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.