Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello people

Does it sound ok, if I say "I can speak xxx conversationally?" Or is it better to say "I can speak xxx at an intermediate level."

Please give me your words & ideas. Basically, I don't want to make out that I'm fluent in the language, but since I can get along fine on a broad range of topics, I want the adjective/adverb to do my ability justice.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    with some fluency
    comfortably
    to a conversational level
    to an intermediate level is a bit... flouncy and doesn't really mean much

i'd say "i speak conversational french"

ReputationRep:
    I always used conversational, but to be honest I think I am more between conversational and fluent. Hopefully I'll find my answer here. Thanks for asking OP

ReputationRep:
    I am have gained a significant level of proficiency in the X language, being able to deal comfortably with everyday (or "quotidian" if you want to be posh :awesome:) situations.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 24, 2009

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.