Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is probably more a question for someone who is 2nd/3rd year or has qualified.

I got my bursary through the other day, and whilst every bit helps, it really does leave me quite a bit short each month. As I will be leaving my main job to study, I got thinking about how I can make ends meet. I think at the St Georges open day, I saw a poster on the wall advertising a crash course in sports massage for physio students over the summer holidays. With my links at the gym and running clubs, I think that I could pick up quite a bit of business doing this.

Has anyone done this, or know any information about it? Seems like it could be a good sideline whilst studying?

ReputationRep:
    It can be a good idea but you need to factor in the costs of providing a massage table, towels to cover your client, oils, travelling from client to client, insurance etc.

You would probably do better by checking out the local salons and seeing if they have any spare space for you to set up a table.

ReputationRep:
    I've already got access to a table, oils and as many towels as I need, along with a 10,000 strong membership base to draw from at the gym. The beauty salon there are happy for me to use the tables when they aren't, so its all taken care of hopefully. My mate also has a table as he is an osteo.

Am I correct to assume that I can do a sports massage crash course at the end of the first year then? Is it something that you have heard of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ironmike)
    I've already got access to a table, oils and as many towels as I need, along with a 10,000 strong membership base to draw from at the gym. The beauty salon there are happy for me to use the tables when they aren't, so its all taken care of hopefully. My mate also has a table as he is an osteo.

Am I correct to assume that I can do a sports massage crash course at the end of the first year then? Is it something that you have heard of?
    I'm sure that there are any number of courses that you can do but are they recognised by a professional body for insurance purposes?

You can't just go out and do massage without insurance, especially if you are working on sportsmen and women who could sue the pants off you if you do them any harm or make a pre-existing injury worse.

This is the regulatory body, http://www.grcct.org/

I've looked at a few private courses and to get a recognised qualification would probably cost you more than you would make if you were only working part time. I would suggest looking through the course catalogue at your university and see if you can opt to take a relevant course there.

ITEC is one of the main examining boards and they offer a sports massage course.
    http://www.itecworld.co.uk/students/Diplomas.aspx?k=13
    One of your local colleges might be a better option for you. It depends on whether you can afford to spend the time on it.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think you'd need to find out more details of the course - if it's the one I'm thinking of it was arranged at a special rate for George's students but I think it needed a certain minimum number to want to do it. I'm not sure whta sort of professional status it had. I do know people who've done the ITEC qualification and gone on to get £30+ per hour, but I imagine your gym would want a slice of that. In short I think you need more details before you can make a definite decision, but potentially it's an option. The course wasn't cheap, even at the discoutned rate, so you'd need to get a fair few clients before you made your money back

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the thoughts guys. I think that it would be more about the cost of the course as opposed to anything else. I can use the tables and rooms at the gym for free when not in use. As I said, my mate has a bench too and a spare room in his place. If the course was a few hundred quid, then I reckon it would be worth it. I looked at doing the 12 month sports massage course a while back and it was £2500. Not going to pay that much.

Thanks for the links, and if anyone else has any experience of this, please chip in :-)

ReputationRep:
    from memory the full course was £695 but if we could get above a certain number (can't remember exactly how many) then they'd reduce it to £495

ReputationRep:
    Just to add to this. I have been considering something similar for the reasons that you have outlined (cash!). Also the fact that if I want to consider sport related physio in the future then SMA (Sports Massage Association) seems to be the gold standard. Level 4 accreditation seems to be the thing to aim for at least. I gather BOA/EIS sports physios are being encouraged to get SMA qualifications so that they can muti-task.

I have looked at the various approved SMA course providers. If you are interested then mail me and I can give you some more thoughts on what I have found. It certainly isn't cheap no matter what you choose!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.