The Student Room Group

PGCE (secondary) with law degree??

I'm just going into my final year studying law at kings college, and have decided a career in law is definitely not for me..I really want to go into teaching secondary/6th form english or history (I have A in both at A level), and wondered the best way for me to go about it as my understanding is that 50% of your degree must be in the subject you want to teach?

Any advice would be great thanks :smile:
elliedoll
I'm just going into my final year studying law at kings college, and have decided a career in law is definitely not for me..I really want to go into teaching secondary/6th form english or history (I have A in both at A level), and wondered the best way for me to go about it as my understanding is that 50% of your degree must be in the subject you want to teach?

http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/310167/4483168.aspx
Reply 2
thanks very much, that's really helpful!!
Reply 3
Hi, I am in a very similar situation, can you advise how you got on? I would really like to do history teaching, following my undergrad in law
Original post by elliedoll

English is now a shortage subject, so I think you'd have more luck pursuing that route- Teach First is one entry route that is more open to people teaching outside of their degree subject than the traditional PGCE route.

You could also complete a PGCE in citizenship, I believe, with a law degree, which would enable you to get employment in a school. Once in a school, you may be able to teach other subjects, and once you have a proven track record in this subject, it's easier to get a job as a teacher of English/history.

There's not an easy/obvious route in, but those are two possible options.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
English is now a shortage subject, so I think you'd have more luck pursuing that route- Teach First is one entry route that is more open to people teaching outside of their degree subject than the traditional PGCE route.

You could also complete a PGCE in citizenship, I believe, with a law degree, which would enable you to get employment in a school. Once in a school, you may be able to teach other subjects, and once you have a proven track record in this subject, it's easier to get a job as a teacher of English/history.

There's not an easy/obvious route in, but those are two possible options.

OP posted in 2009...
Reply 6
I wonder if OP had managed to attain a PGCE and start teaching. I'm in first year and also studying Law and hope to pursue a PGCE in English.
Original post by nabid61
I wonder if OP had managed to attain a PGCE and start teaching. I'm in first year and also studying Law and hope to pursue a PGCE in English.

As long as you’ve got an A level in English and are willing to do an SKE, it should be possible.
Reply 8
Original post by ATinyRevolt
As long as you’ve got an A level in English and are willing to do an SKE, it should be possible.

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking into a range of career options and what I would like to do after completion of my degree and I've concluded that I would definitely like to pursue a career in teaching, especially in English as it is the subject which I am the most passionate about, hence the late reply.

The issue is that I don't hold an A-level in English. So what can I do? Do you recommend that I take A-level English privately, or will my B grade in GCSE English suffice? Or would I have to retake that too for an A? I feel very anxious as to whether I'd be accepted onto an English PGCE programme considering my current situation.

Do you have any advice as I have made my mind up about my future and 100% sure that this is what I want to do in the future.

Thanks
Original post by nabid61
Thanks for the reply. I've been looking into a range of career options and what I would like to do after completion of my degree and I've concluded that I would definitely like to pursue a career in teaching, especially in English as it is the subject which I am the most passionate about, hence the late reply.

The issue is that I don't hold an A-level in English. So what can I do? Do you recommend that I take A-level English privately, or will my B grade in GCSE English suffice? Or would I have to retake that too for an A? I feel very anxious as to whether I'd be accepted onto an English PGCE programme considering my current situation.

Do you have any advice as I have made my mind up about my future and 100% sure that this is what I want to do in the future.

Thanks

This is beyond my knowledge unfortunately! I’d phone up or go on live chat with Get Into Teaching - they should have some useful answers. Try not to be worried, as English teachers are in demand.
Reply 10
Original post by nabid61

Thanks

What happened? Did you managed to get onto a pgce course?
Hi,

I was in first year when I wrote that comment. Back then I literally had no knowledge about careers, jobs and graduation and thought I want to do something I enjoy and something I was familiar with. Now that I have a much better understanding of stuff in general, I've realised teaching is the last thing I'd want to do. There are so many jobs and careers out there with so many benefits and career progression. I think everyone should broaden their horizon and be open to everything.

The stats on teaching, such as drop out rates, working hours, pay and career progression show that it's really not a good career to get into. That said, I can understand why there is a shortage of teachers in the UK and why it is advertised a lot with a bunch of bonuses and benefits.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending