Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I had a bit of a wacky idea this morning - feel free to shoot it down if it sounds a bit mad.

I noticed that 90% of everything on TSR seems to be about prospective students and coming to Imperial. Naturally, nothing wrong with that - but I've noticed that the number of members that stay on here after getting to Imperial does seem to dwindle a bit!

I don't suppose that anyone on here would fancy a meet-up before the next academic year starts? Amusingly I say this a few days before I head abroad for a month, but I thought it would be interesting to see if anyone's interested.

Naturally, I run the risk of the following:

- 85% of those interested will be male
    - 70% of those interested will be fluent in either Java, Perl or Klingon
    - 75% have completed Bioshock, blindfolded
    - 40% will have watched every episode of Naruto and Bleach in existence
    - 35% have nightmares about Fourier transforms
    - 65% have never spend more than a tenner on a night out due to low alcohol tolerance and cheap prices at the Union Bar (wa-hey!)

I'm happy to be proved wrong, though! Hahahaha. Reply or PM me if this sounds like something you'd be interested in. End of August, or maybe middle of September? *shrugs*

ReputationRep:

been there, done that. :x
    I'm a newbie but just wanted to comment that!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by John!)
    I don't suppose that anyone on here would fancy a meet-up before the next academic year starts? Amusingly I say this a few days before I head abroad for a month, but I thought it would be interesting to see if anyone's interested.

Yep, I'll be around, especially in mid/end of september. Hopefully we can drag some of the pre-freshers in to join us.

ReputationRep:
    I move into my new house on 19th. So maybe then. I fit into the Java proficient 70% :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyco)
    Yep, I'll be around, especially in mid/end of september. Hopefully we can drag some of the pre-freshers in to join us.
    In that case, I'd be delighted to join you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emc2)
    In that case, I'd be delighted to join you
    You have to bear in mind that there's an initiation test. :evil:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunspoon)
    You have to bear in mind that there's an initiation test. :evil:
    Bearing in mind that it's Imperial we're talking about, I somehow get the feeling it must be something to do with recompiling the Linux kernel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emc2)
    Bearing in mind that it's Imperial we're talking about, I somehow get the feeling it must be something to do with recompiling the Linux kernel
    LOL Don't worry it will be alcohomolically related. :sly:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yep, we give you a set of challenges, each one using a different science/engineering discipline, and you've got to pass the majority of them to be let into the union again.

For example,

Chemistry: Distilling a pint of snakebite into a shot-sized amount, then drink it. If you manage to keep it down, you pass.
    Biology: Put swabs of Fosters and Guinness onto two separate agar plates, then sketch and predict the bacterial growth after being left in the union quad for two hours. If correct ratio of growth, you pass. If sketches are superb, 2 passes, so you can fail one of the tests.
    Computer science: Manage to alter the price of drinks on the union servers, and buy a round for everyone.

You get the idea, but I'm not going to post all the tasks, as then it'd be unfair for people who've not read this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John!)
    Okay, so I had a bit of a wacky idea this morning - feel free to shoot it down if it sounds a bit mad.

I noticed that 90% of everything on TSR seems to be about prospective students and coming to Imperial. Naturally, nothing wrong with that - but I've noticed that the number of members that stay on here after getting to Imperial does seem to dwindle a bit!

Naturally, I run the risk of the following:

- 85% of those interested will be male
    - 70% of those interested will be fluent in either Java, Perl or Klingon
    - 75% have completed Bioshock, blindfolded
    - 40% will have watched every episode of Naruto and Bleach in existence
    - 65% have never spend more than a tenner on a night out due to low alcohol tolerance and cheap prices at the Union Bar (wa-hey!)

I'm happy to be proved wrong, though! Hahahaha. Reply or PM me if this sounds like something you'd be interested in. End of August, or maybe middle of September? *shrugs*
    I am male, can't program, have never played Bioshock, never watched Bleach, can't do maths and wouldn't go to the union bar if you paid me.
    I think I count as an atypical Imperial student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkbar)
    I am male, can't program, have never played Bioshock, never watched Bleach, can't do maths and wouldn't go to the union bar if you paid me.
    I think I count as an atypical Imperial student.
    That post reeks of non-Imperialness...LOL! And your name is "arkbar" - which, mysteriously, is the name of the popular student bar on Nottingham University campus...*strokey chinny moment* Do we have a spy in our ranks! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emc2)
    No! Bad! Aaaaah the nightmares :P

Luckily I'm an engineer, so if you need me to break the Linux kernel I could probably help. Most likely with a hammer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John!)
    That post reeks of non-Imperialness...LOL! And your name is "arkbar" - which, mysteriously, is the name of the popular student bar on Nottingham University campus...*strokey chinny moment* Do we have a spy in our ranks! :p:
    Hah, I'm a postgrad in Transportation, which explains my lack of nerdery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyco)
    I'd probably be up for that, at least it'd give me a last minute chance to cancel my application when I see what an Imperial night out is really like. :p:

I'm male, unfortunately only proficient in C#, PHP & Delphi. I've never played Bioshock, never watched Naruto or Bleach and when I hear of fourier transforms imagine one of the robots from Transformers. I've also been known to unneccessarily spend over £80-90 on nights out and woken up in strange, strange places.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by mituozo)
    I've also been known to unneccessarily spend over £80-90 on nights out and woken up in strange, strange places.

You'll fit right in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gammapulsar)

been there, done that. :x
    I'm a newbie but just wanted to comment that!
    Wet dreams you mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John!)
    I noticed that 90% of everything on TSR seems to be about prospective students and coming to Imperial.
    I used TSR during my A-levels (2005) then I forgot about its existence until a few weeks ago (when I was bored). I don't think many current students actually use this forum? Only see a few regulars here.

Java FTW..

and I think you should sort your risk assessment list!

ReputationRep:
    I'd be interested if I actually had any spare time

Damn UROP and damn Basketball to bits.

But just for the fun of it

- 85% of those interested will be male - CHECK
    - 70% of those interested will be fluent in either Java, Perl or Klingon - CHECK (thank God I don't know Klingon)
    - 75% have completed Bioshock, blindfolded - NAY (don't like FPS)
    - 40% will have watched every episode of Naruto and Bleach in existence - CHECK :blush:
    - 35% have nightmares about Fourier transforms - CHECK - CHECK - CHECK allthough it has disappeared after I got my maths results back
    - 65% have never spend more than a tenner on a night out due to low alcohol tolerance and cheap prices at the Union Bar (wa-hey!) - CHECK (ACC Bar night £5er baby)

ReputationRep:
    Oh good God, so I went on holiday and forgot about this for a while. I'm thinking the 4th or 11th of September (Fridays both). What does anyone/everyone think?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I could do either date. We can now also drag some of the pre-freshers along with us.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.