Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I prevent food from becoming soggy when being reheated in the microwave Watch

ReputationRep:
    How do I prevent food from becoming soggy when being reheated in the microwave?

Does anyone have any tips?

ReputationRep:
    Well all I know is that microwaves somehow use water to cook the food, so maybe put a big bowl of water in and put the food besides it.

No idea if it would work though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Well all I know is that microwaves somehow use water to cook the food, so maybe put a big bowl of water in and put the food besides it.

No idea if it would work though...
    They do? Microwaves to heat up moisture in the food perhaps? Not a clue? What are you cooking OP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luca118)
    They do? Microwaves to heat up moisture in the food perhaps? Not a clue? What are you cooking OP?
    :yes:

(Original post by wikipedia)
    ....using microwave radiation to heat water and other polarized molecules within the food. This excitation is fairly uniform, leading to food being adequately heated throughout (except in thick objects), a feature not seen in any other heating technique.
    It's really quite interesting :teeth:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luca118)
    Pizza!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh the question which has evaded students the world over ever since the microwave became cheap enough for a student to own.

In answer to your question, covering is the best policy as it retains the moisture. Just use cling form, not tin foil. That gives a cool fireworks display, but it will probably cause a lot of mess. Cling film is where its at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booraad)
    Pizza!
    Get a plastic cover, not sure why, but always been taught to use one, mine is like an upturned bowl, just put it over any dinners and it keeps it dry, when the bowl is always covered in condensation!

ReputationRep:
    heat it in the oven

ReputationRep:
    Microwaves will always make stuff soggy because of the way that they work (heating up water molecules). You'll get a better "re-heat" in an oven, but it'll obviously take much longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d.b.asf)
    heat it in the oven
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    oven oven oven
    i rarely use the microwave, if at all. reheating in the oven tastes WAY nicer

ReputationRep:
    i always thought they made stuff dry

ReputationRep:
    If it's pizza, can you get something small and plastic thats slightly raised to put in the middle, allowing the air to circulate better. Or get a plastic mesh (bigger holes) microwave pizza tray and use that?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microwise-Ts.../dp/B000TAT5UC

Something like that

ReputationRep:
    I always assumed it was an inevitable effect. Since they heat up the water molecules I assumed the water in the food was drawn to the surface so made it taste soggy.

I sometimes heat things up in the oven instead.

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I defrost bread or rolls in a microwave Ijust put it on a piece of kitchen paper, and it soaks up all the moisture. It usually works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munn)
    oven oven oven
    i rarely use the microwave, if at all. reheating in the oven tastes WAY nicer
    Wise words

ReputationRep:
    What if she doesn't have an oven?

OP, you could chop it into slices and put it in toaster bags, then in the toaster? Never tried it but it could work :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Oven or Grill?

ReputationRep:
    Use a grill, should take about 3-5 minutes on mid-high heat, make sure the tray's on the top rung, it'll go quicker that way!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.