Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    Got my first financial notification from student finance today, and its all means tested!!

Grant and loan figures appear to be fine, but I applied for the special support grant, which doesn't appear to be mentioned anywhere. I've tried to call them, but the lines are so busy.

Has this happened to anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    Did you send evidence? You have to be getting the higher-rate Disbaility Living Allowance, be a loan parent, or over 60 to qualify for SSG.

ReputationRep:
    I got my reassessed notification through 2 weeks ago and it definately says special support grant on there and also the full amount of loan.
    Give them a call it should have been changed to special support grant on your assessment page but as Taiko says have you sent in the correct documentation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taiko)
    Did you send evidence? You have to be getting the higher-rate Disbaility Living Allowance to qualify for SSG.
    :confused: I got told it was any level.

ReputationRep:
    If its for disability you have to receive the severe disability or disability component.

ReputationRep:
    You receive the disability premium with any rate of DLA.

ReputationRep:
    just stating what is says for the special support grant

ReputationRep:
    Spoke to them yesterday, I'm not claiming through DLA but the highest rate of DLA contains the disability premium, none of the lower ones do. You shouldn't receive the SSG unless you are on the highest.

ReputationRep:
    Once again Titch, listen to someone that knows these things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Controversial)
    Spoke to them yesterday, I'm not claiming through DLA but the highest rate of DLA contains the disability premium, none of the lower ones do. You shouldn't receive the SSG unless you are on the highest.
    Yes they do:

Effect on other benefits and entitlements
    If you start to get Disability Living Allowance it might increase the amount of other benefits you're entitled to, for example:
    Income Support
    income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    Pension Credit
    Housing Benefit
    Council Tax Benefit
    Working Tax Credit
    Child Tax Credit
    Disability Living Allowance is ignored as income for working out these income-related benefits and tax credits.
    Source: Direct Gov.

And:
    If you or your partner receives incapacity benefit at the long-term rate, severe disablement allowance, (SDA) or disability living allowance (DLA) you should automatically qualify for the disability premium in your income support , income-based job seekers allowance, housing benefit or council tax benefit.
    Source: Blackburn County Council.

Nowhere does it say "must be claiming high rate DLA".

And if you think I'm wrong (I'm not) then why as someone getting low rate care, why would I get a premium on my current benefit? There are 3 levels of premium depending on what DLA rate someone gets.

EDIT: Taiko, if you think I'm wrong, then why has a retired welfare rights adviser told me the opposite?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough?

You have to be on the highest rate of DLA to get the highest rate of disability premium. That entitles you to the SSG. The lower rates get some disability premium, but not enough for the SSG, just enough for the benefits mentioned above to be increased slightly.

I've talked to Student Finance, DIAL, CAB and my universities about this, I highly doubt they are all wrong.

If you manage to get the SSG on your current level of DLA, that's excellent, but don't count on it for future years, in case they realise their mistake.

EDIT: Why do you have such a problem with Taiko? You've shown it in quite a few threads recently, is there a valid reason or just a personal dislike?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Controversial)
    Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough?

You have to be on the highest rate of DLA to get the highest rate of disability premium. That entitles you to the SSG. The lower rates get some disability premium, but not enough for the SSG, just enough for the benefits mentioned above to be increased slightly.
    The lowest rate (which I'm on) is enough for the SSG. I have worked it out myself.

ReputationRep:
    I am on the highest rate of disability and the lower rate of mobility.
    It states you have to have the severe disability premium or disability premium you can apply for the special support grant as can lone parents etc. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I am sure Taiko knows what he is talking about. I have asked him for advice before and he is very helpful and always correct.

ReputationRep:
    You get the disability premium with any level of DLA. I'm on low rate for both and get it.

ReputationRep:
    Titch, that is for benefits, and you've spoken to a welfare advisor (Hint: Welfare isn't equal to Student Loans).

ReputationRep:
    'scuse me, but you're also eligible if you get qualify for either the disability premium or the severe diability premium, or have been incapable of work for more than 28 weeks. I know, cos I fall into the last bracket AND get DLA (which isn't counted as income by anything tbh)

EDIT: And I also found out, cos I get DLA, I should be able to apply for Income Support and get the Disability Premium, which I didn't know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elfen)
    'scuse me, but you're also eligible if you get qualify for either the disability premium or the severe diability premium, or have been incapable of work for more than 28 weeks. I know, cos I fall into the last bracket AND get DLA (which isn't counted as income by anything tbh)

EDIT: And I also found out, cos I get DLA, I should be able to apply for Income Support and get the Disability Premium, which I didn't know!
    Which is what I was trying to get at. Thanks.

Not sure if you can apply for income support now because the rules have all changed.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.