Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

"Cardio will eat your muscles"??? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoshifumu)
    only relevant part:

otherwise the rest i know in more detail than given.

still helpful for other peoples though

still dunno why muscle is easier to burn than fat.
    Could be because of the whole ATP+actin+myosin bit, muscle being actin/myosin and all...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoshifumu)
    heres a good example of the results of inadequate fueling for very long duration low intensity exercise:

btw the event is an ironman.
    That is brutal, who'd be a long distance runner? Running ain't a sport :yes:

ReputationRep:
    battling for that 4th spot :yep:

ReputationRep:
    your glycogen stores run out after 20 miles, so as long as you eat enough when you are doing cardio and are not running marathons you should be fine. to maintain weight as a runner you need to eat a lot so the same is true for excessive cardio. a decent runner who runs 35 miles a week should be eating about 50% more than an average person (e.g. 3750 cal as opposed to 2500). if you dont you end up not having energy to function on. i managed to put on weight despite all this cardio so that gives you an idea of how i must i eat .

a lot of runners like to lose weight in order to lose time and a lot do endless miles so they are running over 60+ miles a week but from what i've understood, the runners who ate more trained more and i'm also pretty sure that having more leg muscle makes you much more resistant to injury.

i know very good runners (2h30-2h45) who look in very good shape and have never got thin like this even with doing marathons and with crazy mileage weeks - so i dont think burning muscle away is such a major problem. when people make sweeping judgements about athletes you have to be aware that there are only a handful of elite english marathon runners / ultramarathon runners and this is not the normal runner. such people burn their muscle away through their training (paula radcliff ran in excess of 120 miles a week) and not because of lack of food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    Could be because of the whole ATP+actin+myosin bit, muscle being actin/myosin and all...
    actin and myosin are complex proteins, actin consisting of several proteins, and myosin being one thick filament of protein... they don't look like they can be easily broken down. the ATP, is what breaking down muscle/fat/glycogen creates. so ATP wouldn't be used to make itself (well it is, but thats more complicated and involves investment/generation phases, not relevant to this)

I dunno... might google it at some point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revenged)
    your glycogen stores run out after 20 miles, so as long as you eat enough when you are doing cardio and are not running marathons you should be fine. to maintain weight as a runner you need to eat a lot so the same is true for excessive cardio. a decent runner who runs 35 miles a week should be eating about 50% more than an average person (e.g. 3750 cal as opposed to 2500). if you dont you end up not having energy to function on. i managed to put on weight despite all this cardio so that gives you an idea of how i must i eat .

a lot of runners like to lose weight in order to lose time and a lot do endless miles so they are running over 60+ miles a week but from what i've understood, the runners who ate more trained more and i'm also pretty sure that having more leg muscle makes you much more resistant to injury.

i know very good runners (2h30-2h45) who look in very good shape and have never got thin like this even with doing marathons and with crazy mileage weeks - so i dont think burning muscle away is such a major problem. when people make sweeping judgements about athletes you have to be aware that there are only a handful of elite english marathon runners / ultramarathon runners and this is not the normal runner. such people burn their muscle away through their training (paula radcliff ran in excess of 120 miles a week) and not because of lack of food.
    That's more like it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizzletastic)
    That is brutal, who'd be a long distance runner? Running ain't a sport :yes:
    LMAO. They are wrecked! Never seen anything like that.

How is running not a sport?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrrye)
    LMAO. They are wrecked! Never seen anything like that.

How is running not a sport?

It just isn't a tells ya'

ReputationRep:
    I go spinning and have noticed the muscles in my leg have built up - is it because of the resistance I have on the bike that I have built muscle in cardio?

ReputationRep:
    no it's because cyclical motion induces vortices in the striated muscle, which cause a decrease in local haemolymph and interstitial fluid pressure, which draws in nutrients quicker to the tissues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    no it's because cyclical motion induces vorticies in the striated muscle which cause a decrease in pressure which draws in nutrients quicker to the tissues.
    Thought so. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polka_dott)
    I go spinning and have noticed the muscles in my leg have built up - is it because of the resistance I have on the bike that I have built muscle in cardio?
    Its like the whole thing with swimming, it wont make you strong or very muscly but it will give you more than if you where doing nothing.

I was always told that your body uses muscles which arent being used for fuel, so its probably those on your upper body which have suffered? (If i wasnt being told ******** that is)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    Its like the whole thing with swimming, it wont make you strong or very muscly but it will give you more than if you where doing nothing.

I was always told that your body uses muscles which arent being used for fuel, so its probably those on your upper body which have suffered? (If i wasnt being told ******** that is)
    Well I don't have that much muscle on my upper body but my clothes are looser so hopefully it is mostly blubber

ReputationRep:
    To my mind, cardio is the devil. I do it occasionally, if I feel like I need a calorie-burning blast, because it obviously has a certain 'feel' to it, but weight-lifting is actually better for your body and calorie-burning, and things like yoga are their own types of strength training...

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Cardio is the Devil

ReputationRep:
    As has been previously noted, if you fuel adequately, there will be no muscle breakdown.

I weigh close to 16st, do 10-15 hours of cardio a week, and have no problem holding on to what I have.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 26, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.