Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you saved up money before you start uni in september? watch

ReputationRep:
    If so, how much?
    Since I finished my A-levels i've been working nearly full time at a supermarket and I now have nearly 4 grand saved up. I just wondered what position others are in?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in roughly the same position as you thankfully. Should help keep me alive

ReputationRep:
    Not a single penny.

ReputationRep:
    wow thats really good I've been working since I was 16 but I'm only gonna have around 1.5 in the bank by the start of uni, really don't know where all my other earnings went!

ReputationRep:
    I've never had enough money to save, whatever I make I live off.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have anything saved. My parents advised me not to work and live my childhood, so now, they are paying for all my Uni costs.

ReputationRep:
    I wish there was an anon button.

I've saved a lot.

ReputationRep:
    I'll have about.. £1,500, not that it will last long.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing. :/

ReputationRep:
    I've got about £800 saved (I have saved about £80 each month from work).

Shame they want £1,826 as soon as I start uni just for accommodation...!

ReputationRep:
    I've got around 3-4K stashed away in bank accounts that I've saved up from working.

ReputationRep:
    I never saved anything as uni was a last minute thing for me-having a year of so if i manage to find a job then this time I'll save.

AJxx

ReputationRep:
    I've not saved anything. But I've been given about £1,700 from my Grandfather. I used £200 already to pay for half of a new laptop for University, I dunno how long it will last. =s

ReputationRep:
    I am in the same position as you OP. Around 4000. I'm working now tho, so hopefully it will be a bit more before september!

ReputationRep:
    I've been working in a supermarket since my A levels too - I'm hoping to have £2k+ saved up by October!

ReputationRep:
    I haven't got a penny saved!! i think it is harder to save when you have got a regular wage coming in and you know your outgoings everymonth...you live within your means!!
    I get the full loan and grant when I start uni and I have a summer job but I am still going to be skint!! I vow not to go into my overdraft though...they are so pointless, you end up living on it throughout uni!

ReputationRep:
    I've got about 6k from two years of working weekends at tesco, so that should help a lot!

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been able to get a job as I've been really busy... so unfortunately I currently had nothing.

I did have a uni fund that my grandad gave to me (with, I think about £5000 in it)... but my parents spent it when I was younger... so unfortunately I don't have that either.

ReputationRep:
    its great to know there are people with less money saved up than me.
    Iv'e got about £4000 saved which should tied me over to the second year (touch wood).
    Is that enough i wonder.

ReputationRep:
    I've got about £2000 saved up, and I get a grant but I know that's not going to be enough...I'll need to get a job at uni and in the holidays. But cba to get a job this holiday - I want to enjoy it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.