Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you saved up money before you start uni in september? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I saved enough for my first 3 months rent to make things a bit easier while I settle in. That translates to over £800.

ReputationRep:
    Before summer started I had £4,000 saved from about 2 years of part time jobs.

It's down to about £3,700 now due to unemployment and casual spending 8(

I didn't save it up just for uni or with uni in mind at all. It's just that when I'm working I like to see my balance go up every month, rather than working to spend all the money and see it sit still or fall. I still spent a lot but when I was getting about £400+ a month in (last summer) I thought it would be stupid to spend £400 a month just because I could.

I doubt my £3,700 with last long. Could maybe cover my first year fees + accommodation, leaving me with a bursary and loan to play with

ReputationRep:
    Not much I should have a couple of hundred?
    It's all those sales in shops a couple of weeks ago that did it!!! lol

ReputationRep:
    You better have; I'm gonna tax your arses off.

ReputationRep:
    I've got about £100 saved but I've got to pay for my car tax and go to Reading Festival so I probably won't have much xD

Fortunately, my grandparents on both sides have been saving for donkey's so I'll have some money to tide me over if I can't get a transfer from work.

ReputationRep:
    wing it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gordon_Brown)
    You better have; I'm gonna tax your arses off.
    Uni students don't pay tax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty10)
    If so, how much?
    Since I finished my A-levels i've been working nearly full time at a supermarket and I now have nearly 4 grand saved up. I just wondered what position others are in?
    same! at one point though when i started 6th form i had 9,000 saved up...bought a car, spent money on car things like tax and insurance etc, lost my part time job so fuel etc and clothes money all came out from my savings...ended up blowing 8,000 but now ive built it back up to 4,000 and still have this wage to put towards my savings - £500. then end of august when i get paid that whole wage is going to be uni money (start on the 5th sept) so will have £4500 in saving account and £970 on my card from my wage.....wow sorry for the detail ahaha was just working it all out in my head and typing at same time...

so basically yeh... 4,000....ill probs blow it all on beer and t.shirts

ReputationRep:
    40 grand straight on a house please 19 btw!

ReputationRep:
    I saved up about £4,300 for Uni.

At the end of the year it was down to about £1,900.
    Bare in mind there will be times you have to spend lots of money in one go, deposits for houses are about £300 and deposit for accommodation is £200 even before you start living there.

Always good to check your bank statements too, as in my first semester I accidentally paid my accommodation bill twice not knowing I was on direct debit. Had I not noticed my student loan suddenly only got £63 left straight away I probably wouldn't have gotten the money back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezzler)
    Uni students don't pay tax.
    You pay VAT, Road tax, Income Tax, TV licence, National Insurance Contributions, etc :yes: muahaha.

ReputationRep:
    I completely ruined.
    I'm selling my kidney by the way.

Spoiler:
    Show
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yes my rich grampa and mummy and daddy...oh wait, nope, I have sweet f.a. Well actually I managed to save £600 but that's savings...earning interest for things in the future like a car, nice holiday, wedding, I'm not going to blow that on living expenses!

I have no money and there are lots of things I need to buy. Oh well, that's the real world for you, it sucks but I love it.

ReputationRep:
    I've got nothing =[
    Though birthday in a couple of weeks.... should give me a bit of spending money

ReputationRep:
    I have nothing, but it's my birthday in early September so that should give me a little bit. I'm sure I'll get by.... some how.

ReputationRep:
    I have about 2k saved up. My birthday is the day I start my course so that will bring a little money in.. but still what amazing timing.

ReputationRep:
    ive got nothing, but not by choice! i worked my ass off trying to get a job as im practically free all summer, but there arent any goddamn it! If i dont manage to find a job sharpish at uni then i be screwed :/

ReputationRep:
    about £200, but that will probably go in the pub before uni starts aswell as what i earn atm.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing as of yet, and i'm expecting to have a fantastic summer which will also use a lot of funds. But i work a lot and therefore I should have at least £400 extra, mainly for freshers week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 300mg)
    Before summer started I had £4,000 saved from about 2 years of part time jobs.

It's down to about £3,700 now due to unemployment and casual spending 8(

I didn't save it up just for uni or with uni in mind at all. It's just that when I'm working I like to see my balance go up every month, rather than working to spend all the money and see it sit still or fall. I still spent a lot but when I was getting about £400+ a month in (last summer) I thought it would be stupid to spend £400 a month just because I could.

I doubt my £3,700 with last long. Could maybe cover my first year fees + accommodation, leaving me with a bursary and loan to play with
    Pretty much this. I don't want to have to work through first year, but I will do if it's necessary. I might try to work fortnightly instead of weekly to see me through the year.

EDIT - Aside from the fact that I did it in a year, not two. :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.