Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you saved up money before you start uni in september? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have about £200 ...but that is dwindling due to lack of employment :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Worked a full time job throughout my gap year, will have earned 15k+ by september.

ReputationRep:
    I only have £100 in my bank at the moment, although started a temporary summer job next week. Bought a car recently so having to pay for petrol and insurance at the moment, but will hopefully save around £500 for the start of uni, luckily I will get a grant

ReputationRep:
    Yes, around the same but its mostly from my childhood savings. I've only contributed £500 in one year due to excessive spending. I need to STOP.

ReputationRep:
    Last year ie my 1st year I personnally saved 2k
    This year ive saved 4k of my own

ReputationRep:
    i have like 600 saved up and i still got 2 pay checks to go before i reach uni so ill have atleast another 300 plus im trynah find job number 2 but this isnt as easy it sounds

ReputationRep:
    say wah 4 grand?
    $$$$$$$ kerching!

for me very little, sehr sehr little :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    i haven't saved up anything, but i get the full grant, and my parents are giving me some money each month so i've budgeted about 120 a week for anything that isn't accom.

ReputationRep:
    I will have 100 quid muddaaafukkkkaaz.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully by the time uni starts I'll have saved £1200...hopefully...

ReputationRep:
    I have no money at all, i dont get a lot of money from where i work and all that has gone to living as i dont take money from my mum and dad. Luckily accommodation costs are being covered by loan. Hoping to get something full time for the next month and a half and try and save about £500 and then get a job as soon as i get to uni.

ReputationRep:
    not for uni but ive got 479 pounds saved in my savings account and an extra 100 pounds somewhere else

ReputationRep:
    I've saved between £5,500 and £6,000 over the past year and a half from weekend work at Tesco and EMA so hopefully this will last me first and part of second year aswell. Got a young students abursary of about £2,300 so i think i will be ok - if not it will be back to the part-time job :p:

I'll have like, £300 ish as a sort of 'Freshers fund'.

Which I can add to on Result's Day, and then my birthday in early September .

ReputationRep:
    Agh! I thought I was rich saving up £300 ! Damn will somebody gimme a job ?? I'll be totally screwed come September

ReputationRep:
    i think its like.. three and half, four grand. (: but 2000 of that is tied up in a high interest (haha, does that exist anymore?!) bond that doesnt mature until next may (: could be awkward!

ReputationRep:
    Woah everyone's practically saving up!!!! I haven't saved anything up, I'm looking for a job so at the mo I'm living of what I have left, I need to really spend less on things I don't need as much like shopping, so I'm hoping if I get a job I'll be wiser with my money but I've said that before tho!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalumTP)
    i haven't saved up anything, but i get the full grant, and my parents are giving me some money each month so i've budgeted about 120 a week for anything that isn't accom.
    Thats a lot for a week, if its not including accomodation!

ReputationRep:
    Not yet... my last paycheque went on my holiday... I've got two more paycheques to come which should hopefully give me about £500-£800 to start but I've got to buy stuff for accommodation, pay my initial fee and set-up cost things and other small amounts so it will probably all be gone by the end of Freshers week. I don't get a loan, grant or anything but my course is free (minus a hundred and something for equipment cost). My Dad agreed he would give me the money he gives my Mum as maintenance in a lump sum at the beginning of term, which pays my accommodation and also leaves me with a grand or so leftover which I will split for the 40 weeks I'm there (although I'm giving it to my Mum who is going to set up a standing order because in the first year I don't trust myself not to spend it all). I will also get £30 EMA which will be food (although I've budgeted £20 for food so a little leftover). I will also be getting a transfer to a Manchester branch of where I work currently so that will be my drinking/shopping/play money.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I'm hoping to have enough to cover a year's tuition fees by the end of the summer holiday (I'm almost there). I've bunged it in my ISA with the intention of only breaking into it either (a) if I absolutely have to and there's no other way to survive; or (b) to pay off debt afterwards.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.