Turn on thread page Beta

Have you saved up money before you start uni in september? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have about £200 ...but that is dwindling due to lack of employment :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Worked a full time job throughout my gap year, will have earned 15k+ by september.

ReputationRep:
    I only have £100 in my bank at the moment, although started a temporary summer job next week. Bought a car recently so having to pay for petrol and insurance at the moment, but will hopefully save around £500 for the start of uni, luckily I will get a grant

ReputationRep:
    Yes, around the same but its mostly from my childhood savings. I've only contributed £500 in one year due to excessive spending. I need to STOP.

ReputationRep:
    Last year ie my 1st year I personnally saved 2k
    This year ive saved 4k of my own

ReputationRep:
    i have like 600 saved up and i still got 2 pay checks to go before i reach uni so ill have atleast another 300 plus im trynah find job number 2 but this isnt as easy it sounds

ReputationRep:
    say wah 4 grand?
    $$$$$$$ kerching!

for me very little, sehr sehr little :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    i haven't saved up anything, but i get the full grant, and my parents are giving me some money each month so i've budgeted about 120 a week for anything that isn't accom.

ReputationRep:
    I will have 100 quid muddaaafukkkkaaz.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully by the time uni starts I'll have saved £1200...hopefully...

ReputationRep:
    I have no money at all, i dont get a lot of money from where i work and all that has gone to living as i dont take money from my mum and dad. Luckily accommodation costs are being covered by loan. Hoping to get something full time for the next month and a half and try and save about £500 and then get a job as soon as i get to uni.

ReputationRep:
    not for uni but ive got 479 pounds saved in my savings account and an extra 100 pounds somewhere else

ReputationRep:
    I've saved between £5,500 and £6,000 over the past year and a half from weekend work at Tesco and EMA so hopefully this will last me first and part of second year aswell. Got a young students abursary of about £2,300 so i think i will be ok - if not it will be back to the part-time job :p:

I'll have like, £300 ish as a sort of 'Freshers fund'.

Which I can add to on Result's Day, and then my birthday in early September .

ReputationRep:
    Agh! I thought I was rich saving up £300 ! Damn will somebody gimme a job ?? I'll be totally screwed come September

ReputationRep:
    i think its like.. three and half, four grand. (: but 2000 of that is tied up in a high interest (haha, does that exist anymore?!) bond that doesnt mature until next may (: could be awkward!

ReputationRep:
    Woah everyone's practically saving up!!!! I haven't saved anything up, I'm looking for a job so at the mo I'm living of what I have left, I need to really spend less on things I don't need as much like shopping, so I'm hoping if I get a job I'll be wiser with my money but I've said that before tho!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalumTP)
    i haven't saved up anything, but i get the full grant, and my parents are giving me some money each month so i've budgeted about 120 a week for anything that isn't accom.
    Thats a lot for a week, if its not including accomodation!

ReputationRep:
    Not yet... my last paycheque went on my holiday... I've got two more paycheques to come which should hopefully give me about £500-£800 to start but I've got to buy stuff for accommodation, pay my initial fee and set-up cost things and other small amounts so it will probably all be gone by the end of Freshers week. I don't get a loan, grant or anything but my course is free (minus a hundred and something for equipment cost). My Dad agreed he would give me the money he gives my Mum as maintenance in a lump sum at the beginning of term, which pays my accommodation and also leaves me with a grand or so leftover which I will split for the 40 weeks I'm there (although I'm giving it to my Mum who is going to set up a standing order because in the first year I don't trust myself not to spend it all). I will also get £30 EMA which will be food (although I've budgeted £20 for food so a little leftover). I will also be getting a transfer to a Manchester branch of where I work currently so that will be my drinking/shopping/play money.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I'm hoping to have enough to cover a year's tuition fees by the end of the summer holiday (I'm almost there). I've bunged it in my ISA with the intention of only breaking into it either (a) if I absolutely have to and there's no other way to survive; or (b) to pay off debt afterwards.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.