Turn on thread page Beta

Have you saved up money before you start uni in september? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmasmellsalot)
    Thats a lot for a week, if its not including accomodation!
    haha yeah that's just a rough estimate though, cause my parent's are seperated, so i'm gunna try and sponge off both of them
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I haven't saved a thing. Tuition fees and accommodation will be paid for via means of a loan, and additionally I'll be receiving a monthly allowance from my parents for living expenses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalumTP)
    haha yeah that's just a rough estimate though, cause my parent's are seperated, so i'm gunna try and sponge off both of them
    I'd be lucky to even sponge off one of mine. I guess costs can add up though, because you'll need course materials and books for the degree and then a social life. I could probably spend that in a week if I had it (I earn £130ish a week but dnt have to pay for accomodation right now), but at the moment I'm trying to save as much as possible, as I will lose my jobs when I move to go to uni. Plus I have a car to run until then as well.

ReputationRep:
    From work in my gap year, I've apparantly earned around 4 or 5 grand, and would have thought I could have maybe saved half of this, to have a good 2.5 in the bank for September

I was so very wrong

ReputationRep:
    I can officially say I now have £100 saved for uni :excited:

ReputationRep:
    Nothing. But I'm working on that.

ReputationRep:
    I started my Gap year last year thinking 'oh I wont have to worry, I will try and save about 3,000 rougly'.

..I was very wrong.

i get a couple of more pay checks by the time uni starts, PLUS i get paid again just after freshers week, so hopefully I will have about 650 quid. HOWEVER, i know by the time I will finish my job I will have about 600 pound to claim back from taxes I shoudlnt of been taxed from the last year..so that's a way ive sorta been saving but not intentionally, if that makes sense xD

I was doing well with saving, but then I brought two Latitude tickets for me and my gf at the very last minute and also had to buy stuff for that the whole weekend..all in all i spent nearly 300 quid which i DID have saved!

ah well, you only live once xD

i do however keep drumming it into my head that i will have to be VERY strict with my money at uni...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CTVicky)
    Yes my rich grampa and mummy and daddy...oh wait, nope, I have sweet f.a. Well actually I managed to save £600 but that's savings...earning interest for things in the future like a car, nice holiday, wedding, I'm not going to blow that on living expenses!

I have no money and there are lots of things I need to buy. Oh well, that's the real world for you, it sucks but I love it.
    Most people are talking about money they have saved from work not that they have had given to them.

I've saved up a bit, I still want to get a job whilst I'm at uni right from the start if possible, better to have a bit to fall back on.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2009
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.