Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you saved up money before you start uni in september? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmasmellsalot)
    Thats a lot for a week, if its not including accomodation!
    haha yeah that's just a rough estimate though, cause my parent's are seperated, so i'm gunna try and sponge off both of them
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I haven't saved a thing. Tuition fees and accommodation will be paid for via means of a loan, and additionally I'll be receiving a monthly allowance from my parents for living expenses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalumTP)
    haha yeah that's just a rough estimate though, cause my parent's are seperated, so i'm gunna try and sponge off both of them
    I'd be lucky to even sponge off one of mine. I guess costs can add up though, because you'll need course materials and books for the degree and then a social life. I could probably spend that in a week if I had it (I earn £130ish a week but dnt have to pay for accomodation right now), but at the moment I'm trying to save as much as possible, as I will lose my jobs when I move to go to uni. Plus I have a car to run until then as well.

ReputationRep:
    From work in my gap year, I've apparantly earned around 4 or 5 grand, and would have thought I could have maybe saved half of this, to have a good 2.5 in the bank for September

I was so very wrong

ReputationRep:
    I can officially say I now have £100 saved for uni :excited:

ReputationRep:
    Nothing. But I'm working on that.

ReputationRep:
    I started my Gap year last year thinking 'oh I wont have to worry, I will try and save about 3,000 rougly'.

..I was very wrong.

i get a couple of more pay checks by the time uni starts, PLUS i get paid again just after freshers week, so hopefully I will have about 650 quid. HOWEVER, i know by the time I will finish my job I will have about 600 pound to claim back from taxes I shoudlnt of been taxed from the last year..so that's a way ive sorta been saving but not intentionally, if that makes sense xD

I was doing well with saving, but then I brought two Latitude tickets for me and my gf at the very last minute and also had to buy stuff for that the whole weekend..all in all i spent nearly 300 quid which i DID have saved!

ah well, you only live once xD

i do however keep drumming it into my head that i will have to be VERY strict with my money at uni...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CTVicky)
    Yes my rich grampa and mummy and daddy...oh wait, nope, I have sweet f.a. Well actually I managed to save £600 but that's savings...earning interest for things in the future like a car, nice holiday, wedding, I'm not going to blow that on living expenses!

I have no money and there are lots of things I need to buy. Oh well, that's the real world for you, it sucks but I love it.
    Most people are talking about money they have saved from work not that they have had given to them.

I've saved up a bit, I still want to get a job whilst I'm at uni right from the start if possible, better to have a bit to fall back on.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.