Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please keep anon or delete.

Argh I am so stupid. Basically, after loads of trouble with my brother and my family, we don't speak. I hate him.

Anyway..The postmans just been and there was a letter addressed to my brother. He hasn't lived here for about five years and me being nosey, I opended the letter. Turns out he's in debt for a few hundred quid and he's been ignoring the letters..The letter he got today states that he should not ignore it as they'll take further action, which can include "referring your debt to a door step recovery organisation for a home collection visit" :|

Obviously I can't show my parents the letter now I've opened it! But he doesn't live here, hasn't done for years, so surely some random company can't turn up on our doorstep and take our things?! Please help, I'm dead worried

Ta

ReputationRep:
    Phone the company and explain the situation, simple as

latot

ReputationRep:
    Is he registered at your address?

No idea..I can't remember his voting card things ever being delivered at ours..

He hasn't lived here for years and if they came into the house it's clear that he doesn't live here as there's a spare bedroom (more like a study, no bed!) my parents room and mine, which is obviously a girls room!!

ReputationRep:
    Phone the company and tell them to stop sending his mail to your house, that's all there is to it

Write to the company - tell them your brother hasn't lived at that address for X years. Tell them to stop writing to your address and any further correspondence will be considered to be harrassment and reported to the Office of Fair Trading. Sent the letter by registered post (only costs about £1.20).

(Original post by latot)
    Phone the company and tell them to stop sending his mail to your house, that's all there is to it
    But won't they want to know his new address? I have no idea where he's living, and what if they mention that somebody rang up and told them that he didn't live here..

ReputationRep:
    Just explain the situation, that you's no longer keep in touch with him and have no idea where he lives or how to get in contact with him - they should leave it at that and won't contact you in the future - and if they do contact it will be by mail, so just makre sure to get it first haha

ReputationRep:
    Or, like JCM said, write a letter threatening to report them to the Office of Fair Trading if they continue to harrass you and your family

ReputationRep:
    Just show it to your parents and let them deal with it. Say you misread who it was for or something.

ReputationRep:
    It's illegal to open mail that isn't addressed to you, so I'd keep that aspect schtum if I were you.

It's nothing to do with you so you should just ignore it. Any further letters that come (and there will be more) just put "NO LONGER AT THIS ADDRESS - RETURN TO SENDER" on the envelope and pop it in a post box.

The problem with you calling up the debt collection agency is, they'll start hassling you for the money instead. Debt collectors also don't have a legal right to take things from your address. Only bailiffs can do that and only when ordered by a court to do so. (Has your brother been to court about this debt? If not then you're safe).

My advice to you is to NOT GET INVOLVED. If the debt collection agency learn that you've been opening your brothers mail and you make an effort trying to contact them and sorting the situation out, they'll start chasing the money from you instead.

(Original post by BrinnyUnlimited)
    It's illegal to open mail that isn't addressed to you, so I'd keep that aspect schtum if I were you.

It's nothing to do with you so you should just ignore it. Any further letters that come (and there will be more) just put "NO LONGER AT THIS ADDRESS - RETURN TO SENDER" on the envelope and pop it in a post box.

The problem with you calling up the debt collection agency is, they'll start hassling you for the money instead. Debt collectors also don't have a legal right to take things from your address. Only bailiffs can do that and only when ordered by a court to do so. (Has your brother been to court about this debt? If not then you're safe).

My advice to you is to NOT GET INVOLVED. If the debt collection agency learn that you've been opening your brothers mail and you make an effort trying to contact them and sorting the situation out, they'll start chasing the money from you instead.
    Not been to court yet, it says in the letter that that is one of the options when they take it further.

So nobody can come to our house and take our things?!

I think I'll just keep quiet about it and pretend we never received a letter :mute:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, put no longer at this address and return it back to them. I recommend getting back in contact with your brother as he is family and family should always be together, especially close relations.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah..... forgot about the whole illegally opening mail thing lol

(Original post by Pickford)
    Yeah, put no longer at this address and return it back to them. I recommend getting back in contact with your brother as he is family and family should always be together, especially close relations.
    :| No!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    Write to the company - tell them your brother hasn't lived at that address for X years. Tell them to stop writing to your address and any further correspondence will be considered to be harrassment and reported to the Office of Fair Trading. Sent the letter by registered post (only costs about £1.20).
    Do this. Also, if you really want to **** your brother over and make sure none of this ends up on you or your family, give the company the current address/phone number of your brother.

That would make you an absolute **** though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    :| No!
    What did he do to be shunned by your family.

ReputationRep:
    Why? Perhaps there is a reason why the brother no longer gets on with the family?

(Original post by Nick_000)
    Do this. Also, if you really want to **** your brother over and make sure none of this ends up on you or your family, give the company the current address/phone number of your brother.

That would make you an absolute **** though.
    I would do that if it meant I didn't get caught I couldn't give a crap if we went to court or anything, I'd like it tbh. Would serve him right.

What did he do to be shunned by your family.
    Plenty. Holding a knife up to my mothers throat is the main reason I will never speak to him again.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.