Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

After doing a search, there wasn't much discussion on the new diplomas. (For the sake of consistency, we will be talking about the 14-16 Diploma - "GCSE Year" )

Tbh, I would like to know your opinions on this new qualification, especially from the students themselves.

If you don't know what they are, hopefully this website will explain all: http://yp.direct.gov.uk/diplomas/

Before you say anything, I am not promoting these Diplomas, neither am I condemning them.

Also, please give detailed opinions and don't just say "I don't like them". Say why! I would much rather you went on a rant (but balanced) about the Diplomas than a single sentence.

Tell all. What are your opinions on the 14-16 Diploma? And why?

ReputationRep:
    Those children are "special"

ReputationRep:
    The video was perhaps one of the cheesiest things I have ever seen! Was like Hollyoaks for 13 year olds!

Otherwise, 'The Diploma' itself looks interesting, just another option for those who would prefer a more vocational route really. I still stand firmly by my A-levels and choices but each to their own I suppose!

ReputationRep:
    I'm certainly a big fan of them - they offer a wider range of educational choices. My brother's just finished year 10, and is doing the media diploma - had it been around when I was that age, I would've done it myself.

ReputationRep:
    If they had one suitable for Medicine then maybe, until then A levels ftw.

ReputationRep:
    From what I can see, they are the less academic route.

ReputationRep:
    Well I made the error of following the link... I decided to pursue further, simply wanting to run through one of the schemes of work (for engineering as it happens)...well i got taken left, right, forwards, backwards, you name it.... and I could not find any "meat" whatsoever .... this is so often the way with ill thought out plans.

I am sick to death of the Government/ QCA meddling in education ... what a terrible state it is now in .. we now have

A-levels
    Pre-U
    IB
    GNVQ
    "The Diploma"

What a crock... A-levels are now undergoing their 3rd huge transition in a matter of 9 years !!!! When the reality is that they were just as good, if not better pre curriculum 2000.

I'll tell you how it should be...
    University Departments should be involved and be asked what they want students to have experienced in order to succeed in their courses, Schools should be involved and discuss what they can deliver ... and from this a sensible and challenging program developed of a highly academic nature (oh hang on isn't that what Pre-u is !!!) and a program developed of not such an academic nature ....

etc...

(Original post by im so academic)
    Tbh, I would like to know your opinions on this new qualification...
    Before you say anything, I am not promoting these Diplomas, neither am I condemning them...
    Tell all. What are your opinions on the 14-16 Diploma? And why?
    Why are you interested?
    This is not the first time you have opened a thread asking for opinions on various issues yet you never explain why you want to know nor give your own opinion.
    Are you doing a project of some kind?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.