Turn on thread page Beta

Is Love a game? A competition? watch

ReputationRep:
    I increasingly feel that love, dating and relationships are marketed as something just and magic - sometimes even spiritual - while in fact people treat it like a game, or even a competition...

...to the point that "competition rules" are established and perceived as more important than honesty, being genuine and straightforward in love.

I was talking to a typical player last night (a good family friend, so I know he's not boasting).

HE:"There was a time when I had a girlfriend and I occasionally slept with other girls just for fun without telling her. One guy - who liked my girlfriend - went and told her everything. I went to him with my gang and told him to leave us alone or he would be in trouble. If I go out with other women, it's MY issue and not his. It is totally spineless what he did. And unfair."

I was obviously enraged at what he was implying. Basically he was saying that the other guy took advantage of his mistakes to get the girl for himself.

I believe that it is more than right that the girlfriend knows the full situation, and the other guy is entitled - obliged! - to tell her the truth. If she doesn't know the full truth 100%, how can she even know which of the two guys is better for her?

This is just one example. There are many such examples in which the values of a relationship between two lovers are substituted by competition norms between males.

I mean, what is more important: your relationship to the person you love (or are interested in), or the being fair towards your "competitors"?

ReputationRep:
    Your friend sounds like a ****.

ReputationRep:
    Your friend is an *******. Secretly video him taking a dump then upload it onto youtube / facebook / bebo and lol at his life.

ReputationRep:
    If you are in a relationship with someone, you stay with that person, and no-one else. Them's the rules. I wouldn't take relationship advice from a 'player'.

ReputationRep:
    im sad to hear about that player story, that sucks. i hate guys like that.

but yeah, love is just a game. well, the act of finding love is a game anyway. at least at this age.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not an expert on the subject, but I imagine that your 'friend' isn't an accurate descripition of most peoples opinions on love.

Also, I feel sorry for the guy who built up the courage to tell the girl she had been cheated on only to get threatened by the irresponsible boyfriend. Just thought I needed to say that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 300mg)
    Your friend is an *******. Secretly video him taking a dump then upload it onto youtube / facebook / bebo and lol at his life.
    Conjured from past experience?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.