Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    From my understanding there are 21 modules in the OCR MEI syllabus but you only appear to gain certification from taking 18 of them. If one was to take all 21 would they get an extra AS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Small123)
    From my understanding there are 21 modules in the OCR MEI syllabus but you only appear to gain certification from taking 18 of them. If one was to take all 21 would they get an extra AS?
    There is no cash-in / certification code in the OCR MEI specification for an extra AS. There are only two codes for Further Maths AS [3896/3897] and another two for Further Maths A-level [7896/7897], with the latter code of each being referred to as the code for an "Additional Qualification in Advanced / Advanced Subsidiary GCE Further Mathematics". So you wouldn't be able to get 3 A-levels and 1 AS in Maths.

ReputationRep:
    21?! isn't there like 6?

ReputationRep:
    Nobody does NC and DC. And no you dont get certified with any more.

ReputationRep:
    A boy in my school did A-level Maths, Further Maths and Additional Further Maths (18 modules). I'm not sure if there is an 'additional additional further maths' AS level, for those who are truly crazy. That said I wonder if you could certificate a few statistics modules to get an AS level in statistics, and then do the rest of the modules for the other Maths A levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doivid)
    A boy in my school did A-level Maths, Further Maths and Additional Further Maths (18 modules). I'm not sure if there is an 'additional additional further maths' AS level, for those who are truly crazy. That said I wonder if you could certificate a few statistics modules to get an AS level in statistics, and then do the rest of the modules for the other Maths A levels.
    yeah, i was also wondering that. After looking at Z1-3 it seems to be that its not meant to be taken alongside A level maths. Correct me if i'm wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenny28)
    21?! isn't there like 6?
    C1-4
    S1-4
    M1-4
    D1-2
    DC
    NC
    NM
    DE
    FP1-3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doivid)
    (Original post by Small123)
    yeah, i was also wondering that. After looking at Z1-3 it seems to be that its not meant to be taken alongside A level maths. Correct me if i'm wrong?
    You can get 3 A-levels and 1 AS in maths subjects by doing OCR MEI A-level Maths, A-level Further Maths, AS Further Maths Additional, and AQA A-level Statistics. The OCR MEI A-levels and AS should not have any statistics units, which would overlap with the AQA A-level (so for OCR MEI you could do C1 C2 C3 C4 M1 D1 | FP1 FP2 FP3 NM M2 DE | D2 M3 M4).

OCR MEI AS Statistics can be taken alongside OCR MEI A-level Maths if statistics is not taken as part of Maths. With the above combination I believe you would be able to get two A-levels and two AS's, one with Z1 Z2 Z3.

Theoretically it could be possible to get four Maths A-levels if you did AQA A-level Maths, Further Maths and Statistics and then OCR MEI A-level Further Maths Additional, but that last change of board wouldn't be allowed, I fear.

It used to be possible (before 2004) to get four maths A-levels with OCR MEI alone (when they had S1-6 or CIS to make a full Statistics A-level, as well as M1-6 and NA too).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaelyus)
    You can get 3 A-levels and 1 AS in maths subjects by doing OCR MEI A-level Maths, A-level Further Maths, AS Further Maths Additional, and AQA A-level Statistics. The OCR MEI A-levels and AS should not have any statistics units, which would overlap with the AQA A-level (so for OCR MEI you could do C1 C2 C3 C4 M1 D1 | FP1 FP2 FP3 NM M2 DE | D2 M3 M4).

OCR MEI AS Statistics can be taken alongside OCR MEI A-level Maths if statistics is not taken as part of Maths. With the above combination I believe you would be able to get two A-levels and two AS's, one with Z1 Z2 Z3.

Theoretically it could be possible to get four Maths A-levels if you did AQA A-level Maths, Further Maths and Statistics and then OCR MEI A-level Further Maths Additional, but that last change of board wouldn't be allowed, I fear.

It used to be possible (before 2004) to get four maths A-levels with OCR MEI alone (when they had S1-6 or CIS to make a full Statistics A-level, as well as M1-6 and NA too).
    ah right ok, thanks for the very detailed answer . Understandably the way this could be done seems very awkward with the constant switching of exam boards.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.