Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've got this question. I applied for Wessex as my first choice Hall, then Childs, then Bridges. I ticked Self-catered with wash basin, and that's only available at Wessex. I assumed that Self-catered was more important than wash basin, so I thought that if they offered me a place at any other Hall, it would be self-catered with no wash basin. And now I've got an offer for Bridges - fully-catered. I also specified that I like peace and quiet, since I do a lot of reading, and as far as I know, Bridges has quite the sociable atmosphere. I don't really want that offer. Plus, it is more pricey than what I wanted, since I want to take care of my own food. Is there a chance they'll understand if I call them and explain? Or is the only other option to find private accommodation?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Unfortunately, unless you have a disability or extreme dietary requirement which would require you to prepare and cook your own food, it is unlikely that the university will be able to offer you a hall place that is self-catered. You could write to the university, or phone, outlining your requirement to be located into a different hall. I think the main problem you'll have is that Bridges is quite a lively hall, although if you specified to put you onto a quiet corridor, the univeristy usually tries to group people with similar requirements together. It is also unfortunate that the demand for hall places far outweighs the university's ability to supply them, this is probably why you have been placed in catered accommodation and the university may also be unable to offer you a place at any other hall. I would not recommend private accommodation in your first year, as most tennancy agreements are joint tennancy agreements, and they start from 1st July until 30th June. Private accommodation in Reading can also be very expensive, and you have to pay your rent even if you are not living there during the holidays. The average rent for one room in a shared house in decent private accommodation within a 10 minute walk to the university for the year 2009/2010 is £330 pcm, or £80 per week.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah hannahradford pretty much explained it.

My friend lived in Bridges last year and it wasn't really noisy as such, you could maybe give the UoR a ring explaining your situation and see what they say.

However, you will soon recieve a contract in the post and when they place you in halls it's usually their final say.

Catered accomodation could have it's benefits, you won't have to be going to supermarkets and buying your own food. You could save money in that aspect. So don't just see the disadvantages look at the positives too.

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Miss.Naughty)
    Yeah hannahradford pretty much explained it.

My friend lived in Bridges last year and it wasn't really noisy as such, you could maybe give the UoR a ring explaining your situation and see what they say.

However, you will soon recieve a contract in the post and when they place you in halls it's usually their final say.

Catered accomodation could have it's benefits, you won't have to be going to supermarkets and buying your own food. You could save money in that aspect. So don't just see the disadvantages look at the positives too.

Totally agree with this. Trying to find a decent supermarket when you're in a new town, and trying to settle in, and making new friends isn't the easiest of tasks. Plus, if you take a pretty intesive course, much of the time you may not get home until 6.30pm (I know I didn't), so catered accom can be a godsend. Also, during exam period and times when you have a lot of coursework to finish it can also be helpful, as you don't need to spend a lot of time preparing your meals you can instead concentrate on other tasks, such as finishing an essay or getting an hours' revision in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahradford)
    Totally agree with this. Trying to find a decent supermarket when you're in a new town, and trying to settle in, and making new friends isn't the easiest of tasks. Plus, if you take a pretty intesive course, much of the time you may not get home until 6.30pm (I know I didn't), so catered accom can be a godsend. Also, during exam period and times when you have a lot of coursework to finish it can also be helpful, as you don't need to spend a lot of time preparing your meals you can instead concentrate on other tasks, such as finishing an essay or getting an hours' revision in.

Yeah definitely. I, myself was self catered and sometimes i just couldn't be bothered to cook for just myself after my work placement last term, so catered could be ideal!
    And supermarkets can be pricey, i know! And getting your stuff from town back to your halls is a nightmare.
    But again, it does have its benefits, like catered.

ReputationRep:
    I wasnt exactly thrilled with the hall they offered me and wrote to them about that. They replied saying that theres not anything they can do about it now, but they have made a note of it and will inform me if any vacancies arise.

So I would write to them just incase something pops up, so they could keep you in mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morwen)
    I've got this question. I applied for Wessex as my first choice Hall, then Childs, then Bridges. I ticked Self-catered with wash basin, and that's only available at Wessex. I assumed that Self-catered was more important than wash basin, so I thought that if they offered me a place at any other Hall, it would be self-catered with no wash basin. And now I've got an offer for Bridges - fully-catered. I also specified that I like peace and quiet, since I do a lot of reading, and as far as I know, Bridges has quite the sociable atmosphere. I don't really want that offer. Plus, it is more pricey than what I wanted, since I want to take care of my own food. Is there a chance they'll understand if I call them and explain? Or is the only other option to find private accommodation?
    there is sibly, ask accomdation for that instead, but they do not have washbasins. Wessex is a small hall.
    If you do not get that place, there is childs hall and bridges extension block, but they do not have wash basins either, and only offer 38 week residency.

ReputationRep:
    That's precisely what's bugging me - I'd rather not have a washbasin, then have catered accom. I was kind of looking forward to preparing my own food, because I am an irregular eater and I tend to eat whenever I need it, I'm really bad at keeping track of meal hours. I mean, if they have catered acommodation available at Bridges, they most likely have self-catered as well, right?

So, I think I'll try writing to them or giving them a call, just in case vacancies arise.

ReputationRep:
    I have a washbasin and catering :P

Anyway, just let them know - the sooner you do, the better your chance of getting somewhere you want. Remember, it will be the case that some people won't meet their offers, and so won't be filling their place.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yep, even though you might be catered for the first term - it's quite likely that you could be able to transfer hall for the second term, as unfortunately many people drop out by Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahradford)
    Yeah I agree, catered accom has surely got to be the easier option if one's not particularly fussy when it comes to food.

Also, what subject are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Law with Legal Studies in Europe. And yeah, I guess I'll be fine for the first semester. Anyway, Childs was a bit cheaper, a bit closer to the Law Faculty, and my second choice, but nevermind...

I am a fussy eater, actually - not that I don't like specific foods, but in that I like to eat at different times...

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Law with Legal Studies in Europe. And yeah, I guess I'll be fine for the first semester. Anyway, Childs was a bit cheaper, a bit closer to the Law Faculty, and my second choice, but nevermind...

I am a fussy eater, actually - not that I don't like specific foods, but in that I like to eat at different times...
    I think they give you a fair amount of time to get your food. You know, at least a time scale of a couple of hours.

ReputationRep:
    Well strange that you did not get a place in Wessex at this time, I got mine there. I saw the hall, and despite the common opinions I like it
    I'm self-catered almost whole my life(do not mistake with the sentence 'I can cook'), so thats not such a big deal for me.
    Washbasin is fine for people having contact lenses etc

ReputationRep:
    Yup, like me, I've got contact lenses. Anyway, I received my offer officially by post yesterday, and basically it's all I didn't want. I wanted Self-catered, so that I eat what I want, and I got Fully-Catered. I wanted it to be a 39 week residency, so that I can spend the holidays there if I found a job, and now it's 31 weeks, which means I definitely have to fly back home. So that makes it even more pricey, what with the plane tickets etc. I wanted it quiet and with a library, and Bridges seems to be quite lively and its library is just a quiet reading place wth a modest book collection. I wanted it close to the law faculty, and it's the farthest of the ones I chose. Plus, it's the most expensive offer they could've made me. And it could turn out that I'm not even offered a room with a wash basin, since it states here that that will be known by mid-September. It's really quite a letdown. Seems kind of too grotesque to be true.

Anyhow, I phoned them today, and they said they'd run out of rooms in Wessex, and that Self-catered was pretty sought for, but they'd put my name on the list of those wishing to transfer to Self-catered. I don't know, it might actually be a good idea to be Catered first term and then transfer. I just wonder - do you pay accommodation in seperate payments or all at once?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yup, like me, I've got contact lenses. Anyway, I received my offer officially by post yesterday, and basically it's all I didn't want. I wanted Self-catered, so that I eat what I want, and I got Fully-Catered. I wanted it to be a 39 week residency, so that I can spend the holidays there if I found a job, and now it's 31 weeks, which means I definitely have to fly back home. So that makes it even more pricey, what with the plane tickets etc. I wanted it quiet and with a library, and Bridges seems to be quite lively and its library is just a quiet reading place wth a modest book collection. I wanted it close to the law faculty, and it's the farthest of the ones I chose. Plus, it's the most expensive offer they could've made me. And it could turn out that I'm not even offered a room with a wash basin, since it states here that that will be known by mid-September. It's really quite a letdown. Seems kind of too grotesque to be true.

Anyhow, I phoned them today, and they said they'd run out of rooms in Wessex, and that Self-catered was pretty sought for, but they'd put my name on the list of those wishing to transfer to Self-catered. I don't know, it might actually be a good idea to be Catered first term and then transfer. I just wonder - do you pay accommodation in seperate payments or all at once?
    As far as the residency period is concerned, you can often pay extra (at a holiday rate) to stay in your hall over the holidays, and often halls are okay with this, especially if you have a good reason to stay (i.e you are an international student). Also, as far as I know, the libraries in halls are only quiet areas with a few books, that was my experience from living in St Pats, anyway. And finally, you won't necessarily have lectures in your department building, I'm a Biomedical Sciences student, and I've had lectures in Chemistry, Physics, URS (Dept of construction and building sruverying) Palmer, Carrington, all over then place.

And to answer your question, you pay for accom in termly installments - with a smallest installment being in the summer term.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.