Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I would like to know if I will be able to do a master even if I don't get a 2:1 or first?

my 1st year average: 45%
    2nd year: 43%

So i expect to have a third class degree.

Cheers for your help

ReputationRep:
    you may be able to at some places but if a 2:2 is more likely to get you onto a masters. look at the... not so high up the league table places, like gloucestershire for example.

ReputationRep:
    Do you really think you could cope with a Master's if you can't even get a second class degree?
    Do you have any personal reasons why your grades are a bit rubbish? Where are you studying right now?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with what as been said above and I can hardly think of mitigating circumstances happening two years in a row. Therefore I am not really sure you are destined for postgrad studies, especially with a 3rd unless you manage to wake up in your final year.

ReputationRep:
    I was so hoping for some BDSM stuff here.

ReputationRep:
    The reason of my poor results: I 'simply' didn't study at all! (due to a lack of motivation because my degree sucks: engineering with management)

But I hope to wake up in my third year and get a 2:1 for my 3rd year but it will not give me a 2:1 overall for my degree.

When applying for a master, can I blame my bad results in my first 2 years on mitigating circumstances?

I really want to do a master in a top15 uni (i know lol)

ReputationRep:
    Top 15? Not a chance. Depending on the subject many of the notable universities ask not just for 2is but for 65+s. You have to bear in mind that very few of the research councils will give out funding to people with less than a 2i so there's no point giving you a place for it. What are you wanting to do a masters in? There's no point crying mitigating circumstances if there weren't any :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    My friend

You did not study for two years, how can you aspire to a top 15 masters? Also you can't imagine some mitigating circumstances especially to cover 2 years of bad results. Now finish your degree, try to get at least a 2:2 and get some work experience!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by deldongo)
    My friend

You did not study for two years, how can you aspire to a top 15 masters? Also you can't imagine some mitigating circumstances especially to cover 2 years of bad results. Now finish your degree, try to get at least a 2:2 and get some work experience!
    I think the main issue isn't so much the not working for two years bit as the fact that "top 15" universities (whatever those might be) will most likely be looking for people who can do better than a third even if they don't put in a lot of effort...*

*Excepting mitigating circumstances, of course, but unless I misunderstood him, there are none in this case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    I think the main issue isn't so much the not working for two years bit as the fact that "top 15" universities (whatever those might be) will most likely be looking for people who can do better than a third even if they don't put in a lot of effort...*

*Excepting mitigating circumstances, of course, but unless I misunderstood him, there are none in this case.
    I know I did wrong by not studying 2years I did well in my IB but the lack of motivation came when I started uni.

I'm confident if i do well in my 3rd year (hopefully 65% or above:p: ), I might have a chance.

I can always say that I'm an international student (true) who felt homesick, had financial problems etc

ReputationRep:
    Not sure how much any mitigating circumstances would help with a third or low 2:2 in order to get into a top 15 uni.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by destination unknown)
    I know I did wrong by not studying 2years I did well in my IB but the lack of motivation came when I started uni.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming you for not putting in a lot of work or trying to imply you're stupid... However, the kind of universities you probably have in mind are the ones who claim to be looking for "applicants of the highest calibre" or something along those lines, i.e. the sort of students who could do little or no work and still scrape a 2.1 or at the very least a high 2.2. With a mid-range third during your first two years, you'll have a hard time convincing them you'd be capable of doing well on the MSc, and I'm afraid they're likely to pay more attention to those grades than to your IB results.
    I'm confident if i do well in my 3rd year (hopefully 65% or above:p: ), I might have a chance.
    I don't wish to sound negative, but I think you're probably being a bit too optimistic here. 65% or above is more or less the minimum of what you should be averaging overall in order to stand a decent chance, and depending on how much of your final degree is made up by your first- and second-year marks, that may not even be possible. If you average a high 2.2 or borderline 2.1, get some relevant industrial work experience and apply for MScs in two years' time, you could still stand a good chance of getting offers, but if you apply straight after your BSc, the odds will be stacked against you and you'll most likely get rejections, as you don't even meet the minimum application requirements.
    I can always say that I'm an international student (true) who felt homesick, had financial problems etc
    You can always say that, of course, but those will not be considered valid mitigating circumstances.:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    If I was in your situation, I might consider (although it would prove expensive) writing this off completely, and starting again. Find a degree you're really interested in and do that, get a 2:1 or a first and then eventually do the MA in a top uni.

Of course, if the MA you wanted to do was vocational (art, music, writing, etc) they may accept you on portfolio alone. Even without a degree at all.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    A compounding problem you would have is the need to send your entire transcript to date in with your application. If they see that your average has been that low in 1st and 2nd year then they're likely to think you're inconsistent and lazy, two qualities they absolutely don't want on a Masters. In my postgrad interviews I got taken to task over just one module in first year where I came out with 43 (coursework module so I stopped handing work in halfway through the year once I realised I passed on average). But for just a masters its unlikely that you'll even get an interview to explain yourself.

Their first question will be "So why didn't you apply through your university's extenuating circumstances procedures to have this taken into account in your degree class?"

Seriously though, think very hard about whether you really want to be doign a masters. If you've found it so hard to get motivated for your undergrad why would it be any different for a Masters? It's even more work and a hell of a lot of money down the drain if it doesn't work out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mitothy)
    A compounding problem you would have is the need to send your entire transcript to date in with your application. If they see that your average has been that low in 1st and 2nd year then they're likely to think you're inconsistent and lazy, two qualities they absolutely don't want on a Masters. In my postgrad interviews I got taken to task over just one module in first year where I came out with 43 (coursework module so I stopped handing work in halfway through the year once I realised I passed on average). But for just a masters its unlikely that you'll even get an interview to explain yourself.

Their first question will be "So why didn't you apply through your university's extenuating circumstances procedures to have this taken into account in your degree class?"

Seriously though, think very hard about whether you really want to be doign a masters. If you've found it so hard to get motivated for your undergrad why would it be any different for a Masters? It's even more work and a hell of a lot of money down the drain if it doesn't work out.
    -So by judging your experience, it's dead for me? any advice?

-is it possible to ask the uni to take in account mitigating circumstances in my degree class? do a uni can change the overall of a degree for any reason? never knew about that:confused:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    -is it possible to ask the uni to take in account mitigating circumstances in my degree class? do a uni can change the overall of a degree for any reason? never knew about that:confused:
    Do you actually have mitigating circumstances, then, or are you just grasping at straws?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Do you actually have mitigating circumstances, then, or are you just grasping at straws?
    Depends what do you exactly mean?

I have some personal issues that keep me thinking (family problem[parent-children relationship] and at the beginning of the year financial issues)

So i don't know if it can be considered.

Can you please tell me about the process of asking to take in account some external factors when giving a class?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Depends what do you exactly mean?
    Mitigating circumstances = serious stuff likely to affect your performance, i.e. serious depression caused by the death of a parent or sibling, a bad car accident, certain disabilities (like serious dyspraxia), etc. You'd need a doctor's note to prove that the problem exists, and you'd need to apply for special consideration straight away, that is usually before you even sit the exam or submit your coursework.
    I have some personal issues that keep me thinking (family problem[parent-children relationship] and at the beginning of the year financial issues)

So i don't know if it can be considered.
    I'm sorry, but those sound like fairly standard domestic worries to me - I doubt you'll have much luck trying to plead mitigating circumstances with that.
    Can you please tell me about the process of asking to take in account some external factors when giving a class?
    The circumstances under which you can plead mitigating circumstances and the exact procedure should be in your course handbook.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I would say that certainly for a top 15 uni you'd be grasping at straws. While it depends a lot on what masters you're looking to apply for, there's still a chance that with good third year grades and a good couple of years getting highly relevant work experience, proving yourself in the real world, uni's slightly lower down the rankings may give you a chance.

As for the mitigating circumstances, I'm afraid they have to be pretty serious issues, particularly if you're claiming they dropped your grades that low two years in a row, it would be issues you'd certainly know about and have reported to tutors. Also, virtually all uni's have a time limit in which you have to report the event/illness.

Don't lose all hope, but think about what you really want to do and I'm afraid you'll need to accept some harsh home truths about where you can realistically apply.

ReputationRep:
    Hello :-) I had some serious 'mitigating circumstances' during my degree and my university was very sympathetic - however, I think this was because I informed the relevant people as soon as I suspected there would be a problem, and well before I'd submitted any work for the classes I was taking. It's hard to get these things applied retrospectively. I'd suggest contacting your university's support/counselling services if you are having serious problems - they can help in a number of ways.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.