Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to revise for a theory test and how easy is it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've got like one theory book at home and it just shows you questions with a picture on top like different hazards etc and the answers come in four i.e. a, b, c or d

I should read through the whole of this book even though there are like more than a hundred pages on different sections of the theory..

Where else can I go for revision on the theory test? And how easy is the theory (I've heard people passing them with no revision lol)?

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty easy, most of it is common sense. I have a book that contains about 1000 questions. I read it the night before which took about 2/3 hours and that comprised the entirety of my preparation. I got 50/50. I would say doing it with NO preparation is stupid, there are some things that you have to commit to memory that certainly aren't common sense.

ReputationRep:
    I've borrowed a cd from a friend that has mock theory and hazard perception tests on it, trying them out has been quite helpful.

ReputationRep:
    I just got a book of all the questions from the library and went through doing them all the day before. Most of them are common sense. Apart from that there's an underlying ethos to all the answers- just imagine what your most boring, rule-loving teacher would do in every situation and you'll be fine! but yeah, there are things you just have to learn like stopping distances and national speed limits. Also make sure you know all the rules and regs concerning driving documents and penalty points!

ReputationRep:
    iv done quite alot or revision for mine got it next week. Iv got a book, two cds, and been doing pratice questions on the internet. I hate trying to memerise numbers! You need to know your speed limits, stopping distance, the diffrent colour studs on motoway ect rest is common sence really.

Can anyone help me with crossings, i cant find anything that tells me the diffrance between them all!

Thanks alot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seleneybob)
    iv done quite alot or revision for mine got it next week. Iv got a book, two cds, and been doing pratice questions on the internet. I hate trying to memerise numbers! You need to know your speed limits, stopping distance, the diffrent colour studs on motoway ect rest is common sence really.

Can anyone help me with crossings, i cant find anything that tells me the diffrance between them all!

Thanks alot!
    Lol, 10 sec on google got me this

ReputationRep:
    dont use the book..

buy a theory test CD made by the DSA.. they're only about £10 from WHsmiths or pcworld anywhere like that

the questions are all exactly the same, and even the screen layouts are exactly the same as the actual test...

and for the hazard perception you can revise that again using a DSA CD on hazard perception it gives you a few video clips and you have to click when you see a hazard- just like the real thing

Revising for the theory test is the easiest test you will EVER revise for!! most of it is common sense, you only need to learn very ltitle

ReputationRep:
    woo got 48/50 on my mock theory test and 55/75 on my mock hazard perception. Ive got mine next week ..I've been using a dsa cd with hazard perception along with a highway code dsa book. I've been doing iit for 3 weeks though just practice loads on these.

ReputationRep:
    The Highway Code.
    And Driving Test Success All Tests DVD you can get it from Amazon it has Hazard Perception practice and thats really hard so I would definitely get some practice in. Ive got my theory on 21st of August lol.

ReputationRep:
    It's just common sense.

I got 100% and I been driving two years SINCE then and I have yet to read the Highway Code. My Army theory test on the other hand was a nightmare!

As others have said get the AA theory DVDs for the computer as they are great for practice with the hazard perception.

ReputationRep:

Thanks alot!
    Ohhh good lucki, im learning it through the book and CD.
    Yeh the crossings are quite complicated but i know that the toucan crossing is for cyclists and people lols. Need to learn the others, got the test in about 2 weeks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samera)
    Ohhh good lucki, im learning it through the book and CD.
    Yeh the crossings are quite complicated but i know that the toucan crossing is for cyclists and people lols. Need to learn the others, got the test in about 2 weeks
    Thank you good luck with your test also! The crossings are hard to remember, but i hope i dont get a question on them but im ok with everything eles. It will be my nerves that will make me fail if anything ! Hope to do my prastical test in a month or so. How are your leasons going ?

ReputationRep:
    i got the complete hazard perception and theory test dvd think it was called pass it, got it from game was around ten pounds i waited till i got gold stars on all the pratice theory tests if i got some wrong i wrote the question and the answer as a sentence n read the piece paper with them all on every morning and night. and did all the hazard prtice tests till i was passing them all with at least a score of 50 It worked for me i got 49 out 50 on theory and 61 out 77 i think on hazard

ReputationRep:
    toucan crossing is for pedestrains and bikes i remeber this by two can cross and if you say two can it sounds exac the same as toucan. zebra are black and white stripes just like a zebra has. puffin are sensored they no when someone is waiting to cross so the traffic is stopped. pelician have push button to stop traffic to allow you to cross. sorry i dont have a way of remebering the diff between puffin and pelican i just kept saying it all the time which drilled it into my head

ReputationRep:
    and pelican has the flashing amber phase!

ReputationRep:
    This thread (and particularly raechel-69's post) has scared me off doing my theory

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieArun)
    I've got like one theory book at home and it just shows you questions with a picture on top like different hazards etc and the answers come in four i.e. a, b, c or d

I should read through the whole of this book even though there are like more than a hundred pages on different sections of the theory..

Where else can I go for revision on the theory test? And how easy is the theory (I've heard people passing them with no revision lol)?
    I scan read the highway code, and the theory disks... GREAT HELP from the disks though. 50/50 (H)

ReputationRep:
    most people just say 'do all the questions from the book' but personally i think that's a ***** way of revising when all you actually need to do is read the highway code a couple of times.

I did that and not when i flick though the question book i rarely find a question i cant do. Only hard part is learning all the signs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snipex)
    This thread (and particularly raechel-69's post) has scared me off doing my theory
    why did my post scare u

ReputationRep:
    Thank you good luck with your test also! The crossings are hard to remember, but i hope i dont get a question on them but im ok with everything eles. It will be my nerves that will make me fail if anything ! Hope to do my prastical test in a month or so. How are your leasons going ?
    Thanks, im sure you will be fine. My lessons are going okay i guess im on the menouevres but my only problem seems to be observation- need to work on it- il be lucky to pass before 2010 lols.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.